Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Carwin Named in Federal Steroids Case, Newspaper Report Says

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:
The name of former UFC interim heavyweight champion Shane Carwin appeared on a list of 22 professional athletes federal prosecutors allege obtained steroids from a Mobile, Ala.-based pharmacy between 2004-06, according to an internet report published on Friday by the Mobile Press-Register newspaper.

Carwin was among seven athletes – including pro wrestlers Kurt Angle and “Hardcore” Bob Holly as well as four professional bodybuilders – named by Assistant U.S. Attorney Donna Dobbins at the sentencing of Alabama pharmacist J. Michael Bennett. Bennett, one of five men recently found guilty of "participating in a nationwide conspiracy to illegally sell anabolic steroids," was sentenced to four years in prison, according to the report.

Link

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #1   8/14/10 1:41:29PM   

crushedbacon

In Full Mount

crushedbacon Avatar

Career:868-562
Camp: West Coast Canada
Chips:

Image Attachment(s):

Photo Attachment 1

Post #2   8/14/10 1:48:33PM   

icantthinkofanything

MMA Sensei

icantthinkofanything Avatar

Career:911-636
Camp: 360 Mafia
Chips:
Innocent until proven guilty, but this has tainted my opinion of Carwin.

Post #3   8/14/10 2:31:37PM   

tmas

Belt Contender

tmas Avatar

Career:1,091-851
Chips:

Posted by icantthinkofanything

if its true it was before he was in the UFC and has never failed a test sooo...... dont let it change your opinion he is clean now if he wasnt back then

Post #4   8/14/10 2:40:12PM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,632-1,680
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
During that time he had his first five fights or so, that's not cool if he was in fact roiding. Then again I am pretty sure that Brock has used roids at some time in his past too....I won't think that it had an effect on the fight's outcome. So long as he is clean now then he can just pay for his crimes (if commited) and should be able to move on. It shouldn't effect his UFC career unless they prove that he used steriods to get one up on the UFC competition.

Post #5   8/14/10 2:53:52PM   

bojangalz

The Original Playground Bully

bojangalz Avatar

Career:1,554-840
Chips:
Seriously... Who gives a damn. This is "news worthy" only in the fact that sports media needs a trumpeting point to rally around for headlines and steroids is there universal jumping off point. The fact is you can say "Athlete X is named as a person of interest for supposedly receiving "drug X" from "Dr. X" between the year of "X and X" for better than 90% of the athletes in professional US sport.

If that statistic is frightening or scary to you, than you've been looking through some awfully rose-colored glasses for the better part of two decades now. This doesn't taint my image of Carwin or this sport one bit. My only hope is that he was roiding safely under the watchful eye of a professional and not carelessly stacking in a manner that could cause irreparable damage to his long-term health.

Outside of that we should not give a damn at all about this.

Post #6   8/14/10 3:08:58PM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,503-878
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:

Posted by bojangalz

Seriously... Who gives a damn. This is "news worthy" only in the fact that sports media needs a trumpeting point to rally around for headlines and steroids is there universal jumping off point. The fact is you can say "Athlete X is named as a person of interest for supposedly receiving "drug X" from "Dr. X" between the year of "X and X" for better than 90% of the athletes in professional US sport.

If that statistic is frightening or scary to you, than you've been looking through some awfully rose-colored glasses for the better part of two decades now. This doesn't taint my image of Carwin or this sport one bit. My only hope is that he was roiding safely under the watchful eye of a professional and not carelessly stacking in a manner that could cause irreparable damage to his long-term health.

Outside of that we should not give a damn at all about this.

This

Sorry I gotta spread the love.

Last edited 8/14/10 4:14PM server time by mrsmiley
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #7   8/14/10 4:13:45PM   

tepid55

MMA Sensei

tepid55 Avatar

Career:2,938-1,607
Camp: Pride FC Forever
Chips:
Steroids don't help you take a punch or defend against submissions, they are the most overblown issue I've ever seen in MMA.

Post #8   8/14/10 5:44:45PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,550-903
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Well there's really no way for any of us to say whether 90% of the athletes do it or if 5% do. Fact of the matter is we can never know for sure because none of us know 90-100% of the athletes on a personal level.

I will say this: I train at a gym with a lot of pretty successful professional MMA fighters (maybe no A-class world champs or anything, but good guys none the less) and to my knowledge none of them use any banned substances. They are big on nutrition (supplements, protein, ect.) but nothing that isn't allowed.

I don't buy the argument though that steroids are no big deal. People argue they make the sport more exciting but I think they make it unfair to people who don't want to risk damaging their bodies for the rest of their lives. I would hate to find out that the "new bread" of fighters are all just juicers.

Post #9   8/14/10 5:46:58PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,550-903
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by tepid55

Steroids don't help you take a punch or defend against submissions, they are the most overblown issue I've ever seen in MMA.

couldn't disagree more. Sounds like you might be using some banned substances jk

They might not change you're anatomy but if the make you faster (avoiding punches) stronger (powering out of submissions) and increase your offensive capabilities then they certainly affect the outcome of the fight.

I doubt many people would argue that Brock Lesnar has more fighting skill than Frank Mir, but he beat him handily. I'm not accusing either guy nor am I saying the don't juice. My point is that increased strength and athleticism change the way fights go down (something I thought should be obvious).

Post #10   8/14/10 5:50:32PM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:

Posted by bjj1605

They might not change you're anatomy but if the make you faster (avoiding punches) stronger (powering out of submissions) and increase your offensive capabilities

All good things and the reason I think it is stupid they are illegal

Post #11   8/14/10 6:05:23PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:
Going to say the same thing I say on every one of these steroid related threads-

The vast majority of A level fighters out there or athletes in any sport besides maybe golf are using one substance or another whether they know it or not. They are everywhere and they are used everywhere. Somebody said rose colored glasses earlier. Yep, people are still looking through them.

That being said, I'd be surprised to learn Carwin is using them. He seems like a pretty straight shooter in nearly all aspects of his life. It would come as a slight surprise, but it wouldn't knock my socks off.

Post #12   8/14/10 6:29:38PM   

chickmagnet

MMA Sensei

chickmagnet Avatar

Career:529-344
Camp: The Pit
Chips:

Posted by icantthinkofanything

Then your opinion of all pro athletes should be tainted. Buddy, do you honesty think there is one Combatant who hasnt used something to enhance their performance? I personally dont care because what one does with their body in sports is there business.

When ppl talk about juicing as this rare thing in pro athletics it makes me laugh and shake my head. Garunteed he probably has used, as have most athletes.

They didnt drug test in Pride so i can GARUNTEE that almost every athlete over there was using, even around fight time! So your opinion of the Chute Boxe boys and Page, CC, and everyone else should be tainted.

Come on man, if theres something to enhance performance, for an athlete where its their damn job! then yes they wil absolutely use it! To say that most athletes today dont? is absolutely foolish and ppl should be smarter than that and know that its super common.

Post #13   8/14/10 8:06:51PM   

Lazerface

Learning to Sprawl

Lazerface Avatar

Career:58-45
Chips:
No way......He doesn't look like he's on steroids.........................

Post #14   8/14/10 9:13:46PM   

submissionartist1

KING of the COMPOUND

submissionartist1 Avatar

Career:490-392
Camp: HighKicksRUs
Chips:
i allege they all do em in all sports...

Last edited 8/14/10 9:46PM server time by submissionartist1
Edit note/reason: between 2004-07

Post #15   8/14/10 9:27:43PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2