Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Shogun vs. Anderson

Print  
Who Wins?
Shogun Rua 21 60%
Anderson Silva 14 40%
Posted By Message

chickmagnet

MMA Sensei

chickmagnet Avatar

Career:529-344
Camp: The Pit
Chips:
I think this would be an awesome matchup. I think Shogun is one of the few men who can really compete or beat up Silva on the feet.

Thoughts?

Post #1   8/13/10 8:25:41PM   

Wallass

MMA Sensei

Wallass Avatar

Career:2,171-1,277
Camp: Canada's Finest
Chips:
Chael may or may not have "exposed" a flaw in Anderson's game but I think it was good because it made Anderson look beatable. After UFC 101 I would have said Anderson would take this for sure but now I'd go with Shogun who has a great chin and could withstand the punishment Silva dishes out to get in and do what he does to end the fight.

Post #2   8/13/10 10:44:33PM   

sparky

AV BET Record: 39-9

sparky Avatar

Career:2,690-1,482
Camp: Team Fry Guy
Chips:

Posted by chickmagnet

I think this would be an awesome matchup. I think Shogun is one of the few men who can really compete or beat up Silva on the feet.

Thoughts?

Completely agree buddy

Post #3   8/14/10 12:03:03PM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,510-1,592
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
I think if they did fight it would be an epic stand up war....I think Silva would land more but Rua would land with more power. I would pick and be rooting for Rua!

Post #4   8/14/10 3:05:13PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,841-1,016
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Anderson still has the tools and skillset to make the vast majority of his plausible opponents look foolish. At times, its the coolest thing we'll ever see unrehearsed. It's Ridiculous.
But at some point Anderson is going to lose the reflexes to win this match-up. Right now, im sure it depends on who makes the first mistake. But Shogun's in his prime for another 5-6 years. While the crux of Anderson's counter punching - twitch reflex timing - is already starting to diminish at 35.

The main thing Shogun has going for him is the ability to fight effectively at both long and clinch range. Shogun can pressure and collapse the pocket with anyone in mma, this is a hugely effective tool if you're going to fight Anderson Silva.

Post #5   8/16/10 5:23:29AM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:
I don't think Shogun's striking ability is close to Anderson's. We saw how much better Machida was than Shogun in the clinch, and that is Anderson's bread and butter. I also think Anderson has superior kicks. Boxing is also in Anderson's favor as he has much better head movement than Shogun. The only advantage Shogun has is in weight (and maybe height?), which would give him the power.

Post #6   8/16/10 5:12:18PM   

chickmagnet

MMA Sensei

chickmagnet Avatar

Chips:

Posted by warglory

I don't think Shogun's striking ability is close to Anderson's. We saw how much better Machida was than Shogun in the clinch, and that is Anderson's bread and butter. I also think Anderson has superior kicks. Boxing is also in Anderson's favor as he has much better head movement than Shogun. The only advantage Shogun has is in weight (and maybe height?), which would give him the power.

Anderson is taller than Shogun. But shogun is probably heavier.

Post #7   8/16/10 10:00:47PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,841-1,016
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Anderson 6'2"
Shogun 6'1"

Anderson is slightly taller with slightly more reach, Shogun is more dense and stocky.

Last edited 8/17/10 12:42AM server time by pookie
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #8   8/17/10 12:38:26AM   

hate4thestate

In Full Mount

hate4thestate Avatar

Career:1,264-800
Camp: JTV All-Stars
Chips:
Shogun keeps distance with kicks. Shoguns kicks are insanely better then Silva's. I think Shogun is also better on the ground. While Silva probably would dominate in the clinch i think Shogun can hold his own enough to stay safe and always won whenever the clinch was broke against Machida. But Shogun seems to be a master game planner and would find a way to win.

On a sidenote i know its kind of MMAth and not really super relevant but Silva said machida would whoop his ass in a fight and does so during sparring... and we all seen what Shogun has done to Machida.

Post #9   8/17/10 8:11:59PM   

hate4thestate

In Full Mount

hate4thestate Avatar

Career:1,264-800
Camp: JTV All-Stars
Chips:

Posted by warglory

dude Shogun has much superior kicks. in no way shape or form does Silva have better kicks. Silva has better hands and probably the better clinch game but in the kicks department it is Shogun all day. and he uses them alot more.

Post #10   8/17/10 8:18:15PM   

FCFighter19

Learning to Sprawl

FCFighter19 Avatar

Career:1,225-670
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
this would be awesome to see for sure

I think it comes down to who would make the first mistake, and how the other person can take advantage of it. I really dont think Shogun has WAY better kicks then Silva has and to say that is kinda crazy. They both have very good kicks with maybe a slight advantage going to Shogun, the clinch would go to Silva, the ground game could go either way but i would give it slightly to Shogun. Either way it doesnt matter cuz its how u use it. If it was champ vs champ <5 rounds> i could see either one winning bye UD, but i would still take Anderson

Post #11   8/18/10 5:44:58PM   

chickmagnet

MMA Sensei

chickmagnet Avatar

Chips:

Posted by hate4thestate

Posted by warglory

dude Shogun has much superior kicks. in no way shape or form does Silva have better kicks. Silva has better hands and probably the better clinch game but in the kicks department it is Shogun all day. and he uses them alot more.

I believe Silva is a more dynamic and well versed kicker, but Shogun has some very good round house kicks, better than Silvas. But remember Silva is a tae kwon do black belt and can kick very well in all sorts of ways. One thing that Shogun definitely has over Anderson is punching power, Shogun punches/kicks harder.

Post #12   8/22/10 11:19:10PM