Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Ben Saunders Cut from the UFC

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,327-1,229
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
"The Ultimate Fighter 6" quarterfinalist and one-time UFC welterweight contender Ben Saunders (8-3-2 MMA, 4-3 UFC) received his UFC walking papers.

The 27-year-old fighter announced the news via Twitter.

Although once of the UFC's fastest-rising and most-exciting 170-pound prospects, Saunders recently suffered a unanimous-decision loss to Dennis Hallman for his third defeat in four fights.

Saunders vows to fight his way back to the organization.

LINK

Post #1   8/13/10 11:22:35AM   

TheGodfather1024

MMA Regular

TheGodfather1024 Avatar

Career:199-119
Chips:
Thats surprising....Saunders has great potential and recently has only lost to really good guys....i don't agree with the ufc's decision to cut him

Post #2   8/13/10 12:01:11PM   

Wand_is_GOD

MMA Regular

Wand_is_GOD Avatar

Career:97-61
Chips:
this is one of the worst cuts I ever saw :(

Post #3   8/13/10 12:12:36PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
Yeah I mean he has lost back to back so I can see why, even though he took the fitch fight. I think his original opponent was uhh ellenberger another wrestler that probably would have beaten saunders.

Needs to improve his wreslting for sure but we could see him return later.

Post #4   8/13/10 12:21:13PM   

Edwards

Standup Guy

Edwards Avatar

Career:2,523-1,339
Camp: Team Fry Guy
Chips:
ya he didnt look great in the hallman fight but i just dont understand this cut,he'll work his way back to the ufc,very exciting fighter just needs to work on his ground game

Post #5   8/13/10 12:30:40PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,530-1,341
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I bet strikeforce picks him up

Bad cut. He should have another fight, suprised he got cut before rodney wallace

I hope he comes back to the ufc in the future. Like tim boetsch did

Post #6   8/13/10 12:35:00PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Career:534-389
Chips:
Yeah, no kidding, how did he get cut before Wallace? Wallace hasn't even won *A* fight in the UFC, let alone 4.

Post #7   8/13/10 1:10:05PM   

DosBox

MMA Regular

DosBox Avatar

Career:918-541
Chips:

Posted by prozacnation1978

I hope he doesnt go there, he'll have trouble getting fights just like everyone else there.

As for the cut, I get it.. losing 3 of his last 4.

I always thought he was a wee bit overhyped after thrashing two guys (Thomas and Wolff) that shouldnt have been in the UFC.

Pick up some wins, work on that TDD. He had nothing for Fitch/Hallman/Swick (which to be fair are all very good competition).

That and there are a ton of wrestlers in the division that would most likely do the same thing.

Post #8   8/13/10 1:11:15PM   

gartface

Heavyweight Champ

gartface Avatar

Career:1,406-898
Camp: Hand Grenade Hillbillies
Chips:

Posted by DosBox

Posted by prozacnation1978

As for the cut, I get it.. losing 3 of his last 4.

I always thought he was a wee bit overhyped after thrashing two guys (Thomas and Wolff) that shouldnt have been in the UFC.

I do recall him knocking out Marcus Davis with an absolutely brutal knee. This cut is ludicrous. How many fights did Houston Alexander get? Absolutely ridiculous. You don't cut a kid with his potential and skill-set, you relegate him to the lower levels of the welterweight division to build his confidence back up.

I'm pretty livid about this... How can you cut a guy who stepped up, the day before his fight with Ellenberger, and told the boss, "Hey, let me fight Fitch." He didn't prepare for Fitch, he was training for someone completely different. Dana normally rewards ballsy moves like that, especially when he's stepping in against arguably the second best welterweight in the world.

Give me a break.

Post #9   8/13/10 1:24:04PM   

DosBox

MMA Regular

DosBox Avatar

Chips:

Posted by gartface

knocking out Marcus Davis with an absolutely brutal knee. This cut is ludicrous. How many fights did Houston Alexander get? Absolutely ridiculous. You don't cut a kid with his potential and skill-set, you relegate him to the lower levels of the welterweight division to build his confidence back up.

I'm pretty livid about this... How can you cut a guy who stepped up, the day before his fight with Ellenberger, and told the boss, "Hey, let me fight Fitch." He didn't prepare for Fitch, he was training for someone completely different. Dana normally rewards ballsy moves like that, especially when he's stepping in against arguably the second best welterweight in the world.

Give me a break.

Yea.. I mean his cut isnt necessarily the status quo of people getting their pink slips in the UFC. Yes, he stepped up against Fitch... but had absolutely nothing for him. And on top of that, Fitch gets ragged on because it was a "boring" fight. A lot of people had Saunders winning against Hallman (I think Hallman actually had "underdog bonus" when picking fights) and had absolutely nothing for him.

Getting soundly defeated in back to back fights, losing 3 out of 4 doesnt make it as bad as a cut IMO. If you have no TDD and decent Jiu Jitsu in a weightclass full of wrestlers, I consider the UFC was basically doing him a favor. Maybe that was more of a rationale or justification the UFC used.

I think Dana White and company do reward fighters that step up.

He rewarded a ballsy move by Saunders by giving him an "easy" fight against Hallman after his fight with Fitch. Not only did it not work out, he wasnt really competitive.
He probably should have gotten another fight to save his job (if you usually go by UFC standards in getting cut) but defeating a Brandon Wolff just to keep your UFC position? You can fight those guys in other promotions (sorry for ragging on Brandon Wolff, I mean no disrespect towards him).

In summary, Saunders is in a division with a ton of wrestlers, and he doesnt have good/consistent TDD (who also happened to lose 3 of his last 4). Get 2-3 wins under your belt, and come back.

Honestly, if he took a fight with Jon Fitch on 2 days notice, I wouldnt be surprised if a UFC WW gets injured during training and he gets called up.

Post #10   8/13/10 1:45:57PM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,590-1,480
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
both guys that posted above me make good cases for their arguments. im shocked he was cut. i think hes got a lot of potential, but man his wrestling is incredibly weak. its a surprising move, but losing 3 of 4 is never good even if it was against pretty good competition.

Post #11   8/13/10 1:53:23PM   

DosBox

MMA Regular

DosBox Avatar

Chips:

Posted by cowcatcher

both guys that posted above me make good cases for their arguments. im shocked he was cut. i think hes got a lot of potential, but man his wrestling is incredibly weak. its a surprising move, but losing 3 of 4 is never good even if it was against pretty good competition.

Yea... I mean, I think the biggest problem is that the UFC doesnt necessarily have a direct cut policy. So we usually just end up comparing fighters that have been cut for less.

I mean, we've seen fighters cut just after two losses (and no wins), we've also seen Elliot Marshall go 3-0, then loses (3-1) then gets cut. Then we have Rodney Wallace that gets 3 fights, (0-3) then gets cut.
Saunders overall I think is 4-3, but 3 of those are in his last 4 fights.

I just think there isnt an exact formula that the UFC can do to draw the line between who stays and who gets cut. Either way, I think if there is some sort of line you have to draw, then Saunders was definitely flirting on the cut line. If you are flirting on that line, then I dont necessarily think its the worst move possible. But thats just me.

Post #12   8/13/10 2:09:47PM   

icantthinkofanything

MMA Sensei

icantthinkofanything Avatar

Career:911-636
Camp: 360 Mafia
Chips:
I understand that having 3 or 4 losses gets you cut, but the level of competition in his fights was high. Davis, Swick, Fitch are hard fights for anyone. His win vs Davis was so exciting. I don't think it's fair to hold the loss to Fitch against him. He was supposed to fight Ellenberger but stepped up to do the UFC a favor and keep Fitch on the card imo. Saunders vs Lytle, Howard, Ellenberger, Diaz, Wilkes ... are some matchups I wanted to see.

Post #13   8/13/10 2:21:20PM   

Wallass

MMA Sensei

Wallass Avatar

Career:2,340-1,374
Camp: Canada's Finest
Chips:

Posted by DosBox

Posted by cowcatcher

Yea... I mean, I think the biggest problem is that the UFC doesnt necessarily have a direct cut policy. So we usually just end up comparing fighters that have been cut for less.

I mean, we've seen fighters cut just after two losses (and no wins), we've also seen Elliot Marshall go 3-0, then loses (3-1) then gets cut. Then we have Rodney Wallace that gets 3 fights, (0-3) then gets cut.
Saunders overall I think is 4-3, but 3 of those are in his last 4 fights.

I just think there isnt an exact formula that the UFC can do to draw the line between who stays and who gets cut. Either way, I think if there is some sort of line you have to draw, then Saunders was definitely flirting on the cut line. If you are flirting on that line, then I dont necessarily think its the worst move possible. But thats just me.

I agree with everything here and just wanted to mention that Marshall was beaten by SPLIT DECISION and cut! His only loss in 4 fighs! I know he wasn't the most explosive or charismatic fighter but he deserved better too!

Post #14   8/13/10 4:01:03PM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:
This is why UFC needs its own minor league weather it had been keeping the WEC upper divisions or their own "Challenger series"

Post #15   8/13/10 4:01:40PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2