Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Joe Riggs: 'Sarah Kaufman is lucky to be on TV, the men are what people are here to see'

Print  
  Page 2 of 4     1     2     3     4  
Posted By Message

JimiMak

WarWagon Never Die!

JimiMak Avatar

Career:454-333
Camp: JT WarWagon
Chips:
Women's MMA is more exciting than Joe Riggs any day. You don't put a champion on the undercard. That's not just disrespecting her that disrespects the organizations belt that they're trying to push.

For SmileR: Cyborg is like the Fedor of women's mma. The matches that have been showcased on tv so far have been mostly commercials for one woman and booked badly. But there are fewer women that stand so far above the rest and it's usually faster paced and more competitive than men's. You probably aren't interested but you should watch more women's mma.

For Blue Skies Burn: I've got good new for you brother, there have been several and they are at least as exciting as the average all male card. Bodog Fights and Hook N Shoot have both had all women's cards, there is an org called SmackGirl! in Japan, I think there's at least one more Japanese org and a Brazilian one that is either all female or has had at least one all female card although I can't think of the names and could be wrong. I suggest seeing what you can find either on dvd or torrents.

Last edited 8/12/10 5:05PM server time by jimimak
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #16   8/12/10 5:03:18PM   

Taylor8766

Belt Contender

Taylor8766 Avatar

Career:740-512
Camp: East Coast Pitbulls
Chips:
what little respect i had for Riggs is now gone.

Post #17   8/12/10 5:28:17PM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,503-878
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:

Posted by JimiMak

Women's MMA is more exciting than Joe Riggs any day. You don't put a champion on the undercard. That's not just disrespecting her that disrespects the organizations belt that they're trying to push.

For SmileR: Cyborg is like the Fedor of women's mma. The matches that have been showcased on tv so far have been mostly commercials for one woman and booked badly. But there are fewer women that stand so far above the rest and it's usually faster paced and more competitive than men's. You probably aren't interested but you should watch more women's mma.

For Blue Skies Burn: I've got good new for you brother, there have been several and they are at least as exciting as the average all male card. Bodog Fights and Hook N Shoot have both had all women's cards, there is an org called SmackGirl! in Japan, I think there's at least one more Japanese org and a Brazilian one that is either all female or has had at least one all female card although I can't think of the names and could be wrong. I suggest seeing what you can find either on dvd or torrents.

SmackGirl for sure. That org has been around quiet a while if i'm not mistaken.

Post #18   8/12/10 5:40:44PM   

BigBadAl

In Full Mount

BigBadAl Avatar

Career:408-321
Chips:

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Posted by Lazerface

LOL...........Riggsy's right. We pay for the male fights, Not the females. The only females I wanna see near the cage are the one's in string-bikini's and high heels holdin' the round number in between rounds.....

I'm particularly glad that you shared this chauvinistic and misogynist comment with us because it illustrates WHY women's MMA hasn't moved forward.

Women's MMA is NOT the same thing as the WNBA. These women fighters have all the abilities that the men do. This is not the case in the WNBA. Only a few players have the ability to dunk. People watch basketball for the excitement and transition game. Women can't alley-oop for the most part and can't back someone down and dunk over them. Their PG can't chop the lane and reverse dunk around their opponent. THAT is why people don't watch the WNBA. Because it's ******* boring.

Women fighters CAN deliver a headkick, flying armbar, flying knee, knockout punch, etc..their fights tend to be very exciting. I would watch an entire card of women fighting. I am willing to bet it would be highly exciting and very entertaining.

Comments like that sir are sure to get you laid

Post #19   8/12/10 7:02:38PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Career:534-389
Chips:

Posted by BigBadAl

Comments like that sir are sure to get you laid

Aside from having a Master's Degree in Women's Studies, this is something I truly believe.

I love watching the Williams sisters, Clijsters, Henin-Hardin (I think she just goes by Henin now), and Kuznetsova play tennis. Their battles with each other are better than some of the men.

I watched every game of Women's Hockey in the 2010 Olympics and would watch more women's hockey if they carried here in CA. Hell, I had a Manon Rhéaume jersey when I was a kid.

The U.S. Women have one more World Cup and U.S. Gold than the U.S. men EVER will in soccer. 2 World Cups and 3 Gold medals

U.S. Women's Softball has produced more results than our Men's National Baseball team. 3 Olympic Gold's to 1 and the U.S. Women have actually destroyed the competition in their World Challenges compared to a 4th place best for the U.S. Men at the WBC.

The WNBA is the only sport that I don't watch women play because of how boring it is. Actually, I don't watch much NBA basketball period. Even then, I'll tune in to watch great women's teams. I watched the UConn women bastardize their opponents for two straight seasons and will continue to watch them next season to see if they can break the UCLA men's record.

Last edited 8/12/10 7:29PM server time by blueskiesburn
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #20   8/12/10 7:21:22PM   

teddythetuna

In Full Mount

teddythetuna Avatar

Career:1,164-752
Chips:
I wouldnt pay to watch an entire card of womens mma but if your a promotion that has women mma fighters like strikeforce than as far as im concerned a champion is a champion and they should be showcased as such. I think Riggs' comments are coming across a little harsh if you ask me. Gone are the days where its ok to think that women should be at home in an apron holding a mop. Not saying that its what he is implying but it could come across that way.

Post #21   8/12/10 7:51:57PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,550-903
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
You can try to be progressive and politically correct all you want. Women aren't as exciting to watch and they never will be. There are physical difference between men and women that are mandated by nature. Society cannot change nature no matter how hard it tries.

I'd rather watch men fight any time. I think the same goes for you too Blueskies even though you deny it.

On a related note, I just realized we have no prominent female Playground members.

Post #22   8/12/10 8:33:06PM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,310-1,223
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by bjj1605

On a related note, I just realized we have no prominent female Playground members.

cowcatcher has slept with enough dudes to count as one.

Post #23   8/12/10 8:46:49PM   

crushedbacon

In Full Mount

crushedbacon Avatar

Career:868-562
Camp: West Coast Canada
Chips:

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Aside from having a Master's Degree in Women's Studies, this is something I truly believe.

I love watching the Williams sisters, Clijsters, Henin-Hardin (I think she just goes by Henin now), and Kuznetsova play tennis. Their battles with each other are better than some of the men.

I watched every game of Women's Hockey in the 2010 Olympics and would watch more women's hockey if they carried here in CA. Hell, I had a Manon Rhéaume jersey when I was a kid.

The U.S. Women have one more World Cup and U.S. Gold than the U.S. men EVER will in soccer. 2 World Cups and 3 Gold medals

U.S. Women's Softball has produced more results than our Men's National Baseball team. 3 Olympic Gold's to 1 and the U.S. Women have actually destroyed the competition in their World Challenges compared to a 4th place best for the U.S. Men at the WBC.

The WNBA is the only sport that I don't watch women play because of how boring it is. Actually, I don't watch much NBA basketball period. Even then, I'll tune in to watch great women's teams. I watched the UConn women bastardize their opponents for two straight seasons and will continue to watch them next season to see if they can break the UCLA men's record.

My Take....

Womens tennis can be more entertaining to watch because there are more rallies, due to the fact women don't have near the power men do.....(especially their serves)......

Women's hockey is so boring.....best women's player could maybe play Division 3 pro in Europe (Rheaume was a publicity stunt)....there's no body contact ......14 and 15 year old boys can shoot the puck harder......The Canadian National womens Gold Medal team gets beat all the time by Midget AAA boys teams across Canada....

As for softball and soccer... the USA is further ahead then a ton of countries when it comes to womens sport.... so comparing their accomplishments to their male counterparts doesn't have a lot of merit IMO

The only basketball I really enjoy watching is NCAA mens D1.....male or female. The NBA might as well be a 2 on 2 or a 3 on 3 league.....

Basically the only sport I enjoy watching women more then men is tennis......love the long rallies, and well....I'm sure you cats know....

Post #24   8/12/10 9:06:17PM   

LotusLoo

Learning to Sprawl

LotusLoo Avatar

Career:207-142
Chips:
Hi! female playground member here - perhaps not prominent in comments, but I stay up to date reading the posts...

So wow! I didn't expect so many closed-minded comments on here! I'm not trying to say that women are stronger, faster, or hit harder than men, BUT what I am saying is that women's mma is extremely exciting... often, I find it just as exciting as the men. You probably believe that I think this way because I missing a dick... or you could tuck yours back in your pants after the card girl passes and give the women fighters a chance.

My opinion - women fighters have a place in the sport, they ARE exciting with the same knockouts and submissions we see with men, they deserve your resepect for getting out there free of the makeup and "high heels and string bikinis" and taking hits... I understand that it will take a while for women's mma to build the same fan base that the men have, but I think it's the uninformed, stubborn, and outdated fan that discounts them completely.

Post #25   8/12/10 10:14:19PM   

JoeWarren33

MMA Sensei

JoeWarren33 Avatar

Career:2,112-1,310
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
It's pretty sad to see a male mma fighter (Joe Riggs) in todays sport to hear this kinda garbage. I would "maybe" expect this, in the first year of women competing in MMA, but its not. Women have made a mark in MMA so far, and it continues to get better. I personally enjoy watching the women fight (especially Cyborg) but to hear this just makes Riggs look bad (if not his fights were bad enough).

Lets just hope he gets bashed on this, and some male fighters and women respond. We don't need comments like this in MMA, if anything it hurts the sport.

There are alot of great female fighters out there, and if they earn main card status, and deserve it, much more power to them.

Post #26   8/13/10 1:27:07AM   

hate4thestate

In Full Mount

hate4thestate Avatar

Career:1,395-879
Camp: FLBTV All-Stars
Chips:
regardless of what anyone says, how can you say the Kaufman slam wasnt just as badass as the Harris slam?

Joe Riggs is an asshole for saying this imo. Hes saying Kaufman, who is the ******* champion, doesnt deserve to be on tv? That is straight sexist. Id rather watch Sarah Kaufman in her worst fight then joe riggs in his best fight. Strikeforce should feed joe riggs to the 209 for this sexist statement. IDC if you dont like womens mma, dont watch it. but to say they dont deserve the same kind of respect and air time as men is sexist. and theres no arguing that. i didnt have much respect for Joe Riggs but whatever little there was has completely gone and now i absoluetly hate him.

Sorry if this is fighter bashing but dude deserves it. Bashing women deserves more then anything i can ever say about him on a forum. Let the 209 make him for pay his comments.

btw im not one to bash fighters but this is disrespectful. i dont respect people who dont have respect for others.

Post #27   8/13/10 2:03:08AM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:
I don't think the issue with women's MMA is really sexism, I think it's the same issue that it is in every sport - Women's bodies are not as well suited to extreme physical competition as men's. They don't have as much muscle, they aren't as fast or as strong, and as a result the best female athletes will never be able to compete at the same level as the best male athletes in any sport that revolves around speed and strength. There's a reason men and women don't compete together in the same sports - it wouldn't be fair. It's the same reason that female sports aren't popular.

It may sound sexist, but it's really just being honest IMO. Different people are better at different things, men have the advantage of having testosterone, which makes them far better at physical competition.

Post #28   8/13/10 2:46:32AM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Career:534-389
Chips:

Posted by bjj1605

I'd rather watch men fight any time. I think the same goes for you too Blueskies even though you deny it.

You may find this hard to believe but I don't care who's fighting. I'm a fan of sports. This isn't PC bullshit that I'm spitting off to curry favor from some people or to make others look like sexist pigs. I'm devoted much of my collegiate career to the study of women and the hardships they face. I would honestly consider myself a male-feminist.

I understand that it must be hard for anyone on this thread to grasp that a heterosexual male could actually say stuff like this without looking like he's trying to get laid, but as BJJ pointed out, we have no women on this f*cking thread. Who am I trying to impress? These are actually just my thoughts.

Post #29   8/13/10 3:52:03AM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,568-1,469
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by emfleek

Posted by bjj1605

cowcatcher has slept with enough dudes to count as one.

Damn, how'd i miss this?

The hatred is flowing through my veins.

On topic, women's MMA isn't as much of a thrill as men's IMO(damn I'm gonna get grilled for that), sure a woman can deliver a LHK, but it's nowhere near the pure death-dealing power of a CC LHK. That's a palpable thing, and that's why women's MMA isn't up to snuff with men's. Women are great, but they aren't on par with male athletes, it's just the way it is, and that's why male sport dominates the globe. Also, isn't softball out of the olympics as of the next go round? I'd say that speaks volumes more than the world championship stats when it comes to men vs. women. Don't worry Blue, you're still on the Christmas card list, lol.

Post #30   8/13/10 4:03:28AM   

Page 2 of 4     1     2     3     4