Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Joe Riggs: 'Sarah Kaufman is lucky to be on TV, the men are what people are here to see'

Print  
  Page 1 of 4     1     2     3     4  
Posted By Message

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:
"I don't know what that [Sarah Kaufman] is talking about. She's lucky to even be on TV. As long as [women fighters] don't say things like they don't want to be on the Challengers card and they want to be main events than they're good. We're the show. The men are what people are here to see."

Strikeforce Challengers 10 headliner Joe Riggs doesn't mind being on a "Challengers" card -- but does mind when 135-pound Women's Champion Sarah Kaufman complains that she's not getting enough exposure as a division champion. "Diesel" faces Louis Taylor in this Friday's main event on a card that features a women's elimination tournament to determine a future contender for Kaufman's belt. So how about it Maniacs, are you tuning in to see Riggs do his thing or the ladies do theirs?

Link

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #1   8/12/10 10:25:34AM   

McBee

In Full Mount

McBee Avatar

Career:815-456
Chips:
Many people try and be PC and say the women fights are just as good as the men, and they might be just as fast paced and technical, but to me and I think a lot of others I will not pay to watch a women dominated card to see it in person like this one in Phoenix where I live or buy one on PPV. I will watch them for free. I also am not going to pay for a card where Job Riggs is the headliner. I will just drive to Vegas for a premier card.

Post #2   8/12/10 11:27:34AM   

casketcoin

Standup Guy

casketcoin Avatar

Career:2,188-1,451
Camp: Fight Ducker
Chips:
FYI Mr. Riggs make sure you know your surroundings when you start Bashing women. You never know when Roger Huerta is around.

Female Cyborg would Smash the Diesel

Post #3   8/12/10 11:28:33AM   

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:
In my opinion Riggs has a point. I'd never pay for an all woman MMA card. As much as people want to argue the point women aren't as technical, fast or powerful as men.
I don't have anything against women's MMA (more respect to them for actually doing it) but I'd much rather watch men fighting than women and if that means that they stay on the undercard so a up and comer or gate keeper's fight is shown then so be it.

Its the same in any sport really, women's basketball, baseball, football, boxing, tennis and any other sport will never take president over mens for the simple reason they aren't as exciting to watch.

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #4   8/12/10 11:47:38AM   

sparky

AV BET Record: 40-9

sparky Avatar

Career:2,736-1,506
Camp: Team Fry Guy
Chips:
Id rather watch chicks fight then Riggs to be completely honest!!!!!

Post #5   8/12/10 1:16:01PM   

Edwards

Standup Guy

Edwards Avatar

Career:2,418-1,280
Camp: Team Fry Guy
Chips:
true we would never want to pay for a full event with women fights but all the women fights i see have been very exciting so i wouldnt mind to see 1 or 2 women fights on the card, the women always show so much heart and sorry but cant say that for all the men fighters

Post #6   8/12/10 1:50:05PM   

Lazerface

Learning to Sprawl

Lazerface Avatar

Career:58-45
Chips:
LOL...........Riggsy's right. We pay for the male fights, Not the females. The only females I wanna see near the cage are the one's in string-bikini's and high heels holdin' the round number in between rounds.....

Post #7   8/12/10 2:25:09PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Career:534-389
Chips:

Posted by Lazerface

LOL...........Riggsy's right. We pay for the male fights, Not the females. The only females I wanna see near the cage are the one's in string-bikini's and high heels holdin' the round number in between rounds.....

I'm particularly glad that you shared this chauvinistic and misogynist comment with us because it illustrates WHY women's MMA hasn't moved forward.

Women's MMA is NOT the same thing as the WNBA. These women fighters have all the abilities that the men do. This is not the case in the WNBA. Only a few players have the ability to dunk. People watch basketball for the excitement and transition game. Women can't alley-oop for the most part and can't back someone down and dunk over them. Their PG can't chop the lane and reverse dunk around their opponent. THAT is why people don't watch the WNBA. Because it's ******* boring.

Women fighters CAN deliver a headkick, flying armbar, flying knee, knockout punch, etc..their fights tend to be very exciting. I would watch an entire card of women fighting. I am willing to bet it would be highly exciting and very entertaining.

Post #8   8/12/10 2:33:15PM   

ChokeUout

In Full Mount

ChokeUout Avatar

Career:446-268
Chips:
In most cases Riggs might be right....

Howver, I'd rather watch Kaufman or Cyborg any day of the week before I watch Riggs...

Post #9   8/12/10 3:03:53PM   

Lazerface

Learning to Sprawl

Lazerface Avatar

Career:58-45
Chips:

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Posted by Lazerface

I'm particularly glad that you shared this chauvinistic and misogynist comment with us because it illustrates WHY women's MMA hasn't moved forward.

Women's MMA is NOT the same thing as the WNBA. These women fighters have all the abilities that the men do. This is not the case in the WNBA. Only a few players have the ability to dunk. People watch basketball for the excitement and transition game. Women can't alley-oop for the most part and can't back someone down and dunk over them. Their PG can't chop the lane and reverse dunk around their opponent. THAT is why people don't watch the WNBA. Because it's ******* boring.

Women fighters CAN deliver a headkick, flying armbar, flying knee, knockout punch, etc..their fights tend to be very exciting. I would watch an entire card of women fighting. I am willing to bet it would be highly exciting and very entertaining.

Post #10   8/12/10 3:11:47PM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,478-860
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
Riggs vs Kaufman.

You herd it here first!....

Post #11   8/12/10 3:25:59PM   

Bloodhound

Standup Guy

Bloodhound Avatar

Career:1,054-599
Chips:
Riggs is right, I personalyl don't care or enjoy watching women mma. I don't have a problem with females in mma but I dont like to watch female fights.

Post #12   8/12/10 3:29:05PM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,284-1,206
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by Bloodhound

Riggs is right, I personalyl don't care or enjoy watching women mma. I don't have a problem with females in mma but I dont like to watch female fights.

This is about where I stand, too. I'm really not all that interested in watching women fight.

Post #13   8/12/10 3:35:24PM   

RearNakedJoke

In Full Mount

RearNakedJoke Avatar

Career:1,226-867
Chips:

Posted by sparky

Id rather watch chicks fight then Riggs to be completely honest!!!!!

I'm with you! there are some great female fighters who i enjoy watching but theres only a few. A lot of the big names in female MMA are not even comparable to their male counterparts simply because competition is sparce.

When it gets more competitive I'll be more enthusiastic about watching. Watching Cyborg smash smaller and less skilled opponents is a bit like watching the big girl at the bar beat the crap out of the prissy little blond while everyone cheers her on. Thats the problem with womens MMA, most fights are predictably a one sided beat down.

Riggs should be moved exclusively to challengers.

Post #14   8/12/10 3:54:14PM   

BustedKnuckle

MMA Sensei

BustedKnuckle Avatar

Career:659-381
Chips:
Yeah i'm kinda on the fence here. I believe they should have a place in MMA for sure!. But I particularly dont like watching women fight. Just my taste I geuss. It has nothing to do with how they perform.

Post #15   8/12/10 4:36:31PM   

Page 1 of 4     1     2     3     4