Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Chael Sonnen Believes 'the Party Ain't Over Yet'

Print  
  Page 1 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,284-1,206
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Following his heart-breaking loss to Anderson Silva Saturday night, Chael Sonnen made it very clear at the post-fight press conference that he wanted an immediate rematch against Silva.

That wasn't just his emotions talking. Sonnen obviously thinks he has what it takes to beat the middleweight champion, and his manager, Mike Roberts, backed up his client on Monday's edition of The MMA Hour.

Roberts said that both he and Sonnen met with the UFC Monday to talk about what's next for Sonnen, and in that meeting, Sonnen let it be known that he is ready to dance again with "The Spider."

LINK

Post #1   8/12/10 9:02:35AM   

Lazerface

Learning to Sprawl

Lazerface Avatar

Career:58-45
Chips:
Sorry Chael-you lost. The fight wasn't a close decision, it didn't end because of a bad call or a cut(doctor stoppage), you gave up by tapping out..........They're is no way he should get an immediate rematch. He needs to fight at least 2 contenders before he gets his shot again.....It's obvious that he has a problem being submitted-looking at his record-He's got like 11 losses-and like 9 of them are by submission(most of them by triangle). Go back to Team Quest and work on your submission defense........There's no way they give this guy an immediate rematch. Ya can't give up in a title fight and then demand a immediate rematch!!!! I hate that guy..............

Last edited 8/14/10 12:58PM server time by zephead
Edit note/reason: Fighter bashing

Post #2   8/12/10 10:14:12AM   

casketcoin

Standup Guy

casketcoin Avatar

Career:2,188-1,451
Camp: Fight Ducker
Chips:

Posted by Lazerface

Sorry Chael-you lost. The fight wasn't a close decision, it didn't end because of a bad call or a cut(doctor stoppage), you gave up by tapping out..........They're is no way this clown should get an immediate rematch. He needs to fight at least 2 contenders before he gets his shot again.....It's obvious that he has a problem being submitted-looking at his record-He's got like 11 losses-and like 9 of them are by submission(most of them by triangle). Go back to Team Quest and work on your submission defense........There's no way they give this guy an immediate rematch. Ya can't give up in a title fight and then demand a immediate rematch!!!! I hate that guy..............

You nailed it. I think Chael believes since BJ and Shogun got rematches he deserves one also. The point is they were CLOSE decision and he lost. The people who wanna see a rematch just wanna see Anderson lose and if that's the case let Anderson fight Vitor. Don't waist our time on a rematch involving Sonnen. Fight another fight or two and then come back and win if you can.

Last edited 8/14/10 12:59PM server time by zephead
Edit note/reason: Fighter bashing

Post #3   8/12/10 11:15:27AM   

machodog76

MMA Sensei

machodog76 Avatar

Career:2,597-1,618
Camp: country KO
Chips:
I like how he's upset that Silva mentioned his rib injury, after all the disrespectfull crap he said leading up to the fight I don't think He has much room to be offended by anything Anderson says. As for a rematch I think Cote has a better case (still not a good one though) get in line Ya brazilian tapper.

Last edited 8/12/10 1:53PM server time by machodog76
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #4   8/12/10 1:53:00PM   

Edwards

Standup Guy

Edwards Avatar

Career:2,418-1,280
Camp: Team Fry Guy
Chips:
dont know what you guys are thinking but the fact is he was less then 2 minutes from beating the so called best pound for pound fighter in the world,he won every rd clearly and he's on a crazy winning streak beating the top 185 guys in the world and yes he has 10 loses or so but mma is a sport you learn new things as you go and well from what i've seen fron chael is he has improved greatly,the spider won the fight hands down great fighters find a way to win and he did but i give chael all the respect in the world,remember all the **** talking is him just selling the fight

Post #5   8/12/10 2:01:50PM   

Lazerface

Learning to Sprawl

Lazerface Avatar

Career:58-45
Chips:

Posted by Edwards

dont know what you guys are thinking but the fact is he was less then 2 minutes from beating the so called best pound for pound fighter in the world,he won every rd clearly and he's on a crazy winning streak beating the top 185 guys in the world and yes he has 10 loses or so but mma is a sport you learn new things as you go and well from what i've seen fron chael is he has improved greatly,the spider won the fight hands down great fighters find a way to win and he did but i give chael all the respect in the world,remember all the **** talking is him just selling the fight

Coulda of, Should of, Would of..............And what's this crazy "winning streak" your talkin about???? You seem to forget he lost to Maia (by submission, mind you) right before he fought Nate. He was doing the samething to Damien and got triangle choked!!! Again!!!! And a couple fights before that Paulo Filho armbar'ed him in the WEC!!!! Dude c'mon..........And up top you say "mma is a sport you learn new things"--what are u trying to say?? He's got almost 40 fights dude!!! Submissions are something that should not be new to him......He even said himself he doesn't practice BJJ at all.......These people can sit here all day long and say "he won all four rounds" or "dude he dominated him" but in the end he blew it. He gave up and lost. period. Your Welcome :)

Last edited 8/12/10 2:53PM server time by emfleek
Edit note/reason: Removed fighter bashing.

Post #6   8/12/10 2:17:17PM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Chips:
Please read the rules regarding fighter bashing.

Thanks.

Post #7   8/12/10 2:53:55PM   

Edwards

Standup Guy

Edwards Avatar

Career:2,418-1,280
Camp: Team Fry Guy
Chips:
mma is a sport you learn news things everytime out so if you dont know that i question your knowledge of mma,a few loses in a few years to top 185ers i called that a pretty good win streak,you're making your opion on hate towards chael,i been watching the spider since his early days and i have never seen anybody put him in deep water like that,yes the spider won and that only says to how great he really his,thats all i have to say on this topic because i know some people on this site can't handle being wrong and dont want to get myself in troube and welcome for what a 1 sided mind lol

Post #8   8/12/10 2:55:28PM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Chips:
I'm copy and pasting a solid post from a member in another thread.

Take a gander at this list, for a moment:

- Demian Maia
- Paulo Filho
- Jeremy Horn
- Renato Sobral

Those are the four fighters - four - to defeat Chael Sonnen with a submission in the last seven years. That's 28 fights. Those four fighters have 91 out of 154 victories by submission. That's 59%, or a .591 average, if you prefer. Maia and Filho are Top-10 Middleweights known - by almost everybody - for being dangerous submission fighters, even by the standard of top-level MMA*. Did you see Maia's submission of Sonnen? It was one of the best I've ever seen, and I think I've watched more than 1,000 pro fights by now.

Here's another list:

- Nate Marquardt
- Dan Miller
- Alexei Oleinik
- Tim Credeur
- Trevor Prangley

Those five guys have 62 out of 101 wins by submission. That's 61%, or .614. Those guys were unable to submit Chael "no sub defense" Sonnen. A few of them were unable to do much of anything at all to him, in fact. You could add Filho's name to this list too, if you wanted, since he and Sonnen split a two-fight series.

Chael Sonnen has very good submission defense and Anderson Silva has very good jiu-jitsu (something else a lot of us knew already).

* Actually, they're both accomplished in jiu-jitsu and submission grappling too. They both placed 2nd in CBJJ competitions, and Maia is a former ADCC champion.

Post #9   8/12/10 2:58:56PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Career:534-389
Chips:

Posted by Lazerface

Coulda of, Should of, Would of..............And what's this crazy "winning streak" your talkin about???? You seem to forget he lost to Maia (by submission, mind you) right before he fought Nate. He was doing the samething to Damien and got triangle choked!!! Again!!!! And a couple fights before that Paulo Filho armbar'ed him in the WEC!!!! Dude c'mon..........And up top you say "mma is a sport you learn new things"--what are u trying to say?? He's got almost 40 fights dude!!! Submissions are something that should not be new to him......He even said himself he doesn't practice BJJ at all.......To me he's garbage--and these people can sit here all day long and say "he won all four rounds" or "dude he dominated him" but in the end he blew it. He gave up and lost. period. Your Welcome :)

This post is beyond ridiculous. First off, Chael is a wrestler. If he's going to lose a fight, it's most likely going to be by submission. Wrestlers actively trying to finish a fight are susceptible to being submitted.

Also, Maia and Filho are WORLD class in BJJ. Silva trains with two of the best in the world as well. It's not like he got f*cking submitted by Goulet. Pound for pound greats should NOT get dominated like that for 4 rounds. THAT is why Chael is asking for a rematch.

He believes, and there's no reason to believe he can't, that he can win this fight. He came with in two minutes of winning this fight no worse than 50-45 on every score card. I wouldn't be shocked if there was a 50-44 or two thrown in there. That shouldn't happen against the P4P #1 fighter in the world.

I think it's funny that the same people who are calling Chael trash and that he should move on are the same people who want a Fedor-Werdum rematch.

Seanfu is right. Some of you fans TRULY have the memory of a goldfish.

Post #10   8/12/10 2:59:50PM   

Wallass

MMA Sensei

Wallass Avatar

Career:2,218-1,306
Camp: Canada's Finest
Chips:

Posted by Lazerface

Sorry Chael-you lost. The fight wasn't a close decision, it didn't end because of a bad call or a cut(doctor stoppage), you gave up by tapping out..........They're is no way this clown should get an immediate rematch. He needs to fight at least 2 contenders before he gets his shot again.....It's obvious that he has a problem being submitted-looking at his record-He's got like 11 losses-and like 9 of them are by submission(most of them by triangle). Go back to Team Quest and work on your submission defense........There's no way they give this guy an immediate rematch. Ya can't give up in a title fight and then demand a immediate rematch!!!! I hate that guy..............

I dont want to be a nag but Ive been banned for less than this! Fight wasnt close? Wow! Im just walking away on this one.

Post #11   8/12/10 4:04:08PM   

BustedKnuckle

MMA Sensei

BustedKnuckle Avatar

Career:659-381
Chips:
In no way should Chael or anyone IMO get an imeadiate rematch. You lose, you lose. Accept it!! Move on and smash the next guy to get back to a title fight!! Situations like the Wyman/Danzig fight are the only exemptions!!

Post #12   8/12/10 4:59:03PM   

Focker101

MMA Regular

Focker101 Avatar

Career:1,394-777
Chips:
One thing in the UFC that I cant say I have ever complained about is Joe Silva
the majority of his matchmaking is formidable

consider some of the competing companies matchmaking from now or the past

If Joe Silva feels he wants to do the rematch I am ok with that
I hear people say let Vitor have his chance, well if we are talking about being deserving I don't think Vitor fits this bill nearly as close as Chael does.

Vitor won 1 catchweight fight, my personal opinion would rather Vitor fight next but that's me being more of a Vitor fan it has nothing to do with who the real number 1 contender should be

All I want is someone to take the belt from Andy and here is the reason
I cant stand his manager I am tired of Ed's comments specially when he starts talking who should and should not get to fight his guys

Like it or not Ed inherits a certain amount of lets call it power or talk time while Silva is champ.
He really spouted off when he had two title holders, I really just want Soares to go away

Also it is my opinion that in Chael's loss he still accomplished something and that will be to take Silva down a few pegs, I am hopefully it will make Silva a more humble fighter again. As a fan of MMA I would be thankful for that too

Last edited 8/12/10 7:39PM server time by focker101
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #13   8/12/10 7:35:50PM   

gartface

Heavyweight Champ

gartface Avatar

Career:1,406-898
Camp: Hand Grenade Hillbillies
Chips:

Posted by BustedKnuckle

In no way should Chael or anyone IMO get an imeadiate rematch. You lose, you lose. Accept it!! Move on and smash the next guy to get back to a title fight!! Situations like the Wyman/Danzig fight are the only exemptions!!

If that were the case, we wouldn't be having this discussion. The fact that he did in fact dominate Anderson for four round(possibly two of which being 10-8), is the reason as mentioned above.

He may in fact get that rematch, because it sounds like Vitor doesn't want to wait around, and I could see them doing a match between the two for the next shot at Anderson, in the middle of next year. I don't see them having rematches with Marquardt, Maia or Okami.

In my opinion, if I was Dana, or Joe Silva for that matter, I would definitely consider a rematch, just from a business standpoint. Think about it? Has anyone sold a fight as well as Sonnen, in the past few years? Has there been this bad of blood, aside from maybe Hughes-Serra, in a fight? Has anyone, ANYONE, in the UFC been that close to beating Anderson, let alone dominating him for 23 minutes?

It just seems like simple business sense to me. Vitor has an established name among most of the MMA fanbase, but to be honest in America, among sports fans, I really don't know if his name holds much water. I think he needs a couple more fights to gear up for a title shot, and to build his name up. Plus, who wants to see a rusty Vitor fight for the title? I think fully healthy, he beats Anderson.

Post #14   8/12/10 9:56:30PM   

FrankTheTank1181

Standup Guy

FrankTheTank1181 Avatar

Career:1,487-880
Camp: 360 Mafia
Chips:
IMO, Chael gave everything he had in that fight and it wasn't good enough. Rematch or not I don't see him beating Anderson.

Post #15   8/12/10 10:00:33PM   

Page 1 of 3     1     2     3