Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Jon Fitch was wrong and still is.

Print  
  Page 2 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

thebestout

Learning to Sprawl

Career:693-436
Camp: M Town Hard Hitters
Chips:
The closed guard has always been an effective offense for very strong bjj players and a way to buy time while taking minimal damage for others. With the evolution of the sport because all tools are needed more often than not you're watching guys that are good at everything but not top level in any discipline. For that reason unless the competitor started out with a top notch bjj background you aren't seeing the best of that discipline in many matches. Another trend I've personally noticed which is kind of irritating is bjj guys neglecting the ground for bad kickboxing matches in pursuit of fight of the night bonuses. So is it dead? No it's just rare because solid submission defense is quicker to pick up than black belt killer submission offense.

Post #16   8/10/10 1:35:36AM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:

Posted by RyanC

American wrestlers have really deminished the effectiveness of the closed guard in MMA since many of them are perfectly fine hanging out there. Open guard, Spider guard, and Butterfly guard are becoming a much better option against wrestlers IMO since you can actually keep your opponent at a distance while harassing their base, and you can setup many subs just the same from the variations of open guard as you can from closed.

I don't think it's American wrestlers that have diminished the effectiveness, but rather how MMA fights are scored. You just can't win a decision on your back, regardless of the guard you choose.

And IMO, one can harass the base of someone with a closed guard.

I think one reason for the reduced effectiveness of the closed guard is the fact that there is no gi in MMA these days and the skin to skin contact with sweat just diminishes any traction.

Post #17   8/16/10 2:35:33PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,543-899
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
The fact that wrestlers can stall from the guard for decisions in no way proves that the guard is any less effective. If it were unlimited rounds or no rounds like it was in the old days I'm fully confident that the jiu jitsu guys would finish the wrestlers almost every time. Wrestlers can't effectively use ground and pound against jiu jitsu fighters and they can't finish with submissions. That leaves one option. Decisions. Take away decisions (not gonna happen because of the limits of a spectator sport) then they have no road to victory.

Thats one of the reasons a lot of the gracies don't like modern MMA. Royce Gracie used to say that he'd be willing to wait hours for a submission if he needed to.

I don't expect anything to change and it doesn't make me like MMA any less. I understand that it is Sport Fighting now instead of just fighting. But I will say again, people who believe the guard is dead are delusional.

We've seen so many fights recently won by submission from the bottom (Anderson vs Chael, Werdum vs Fedor, Pettis vs Roller).

I would also argue that part of the reason for the poor statistics (aside from rounds) is that people with the attitude a lot of you have on here are making it so that guys don't believe in jiu jitsu. There are less jiu jitsu fighters in the sport. That trend is reversing now though with the new hybrid wrestler/jiu jitsu guys (ala Jake Shields).

Post #18   8/19/10 10:42:55PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:
BJJ- everything you say is basically true, but like I said before you have to give credit to the wrestlers nowadays who have cross trained in BJJ and use it to negate the effectiveness of the guard. Literally the statistics don't lie. 7 or 8 years ago there's no way in hell I would have picked a wrestler like Jon Fitch coming into the sport against a legitimate BJJ black belt. So some credit has to be given to the wrestlers who have trained in BJJ and learned to nullify its effectiveness when it comes to these fights.

I do tend to agree that decisions are part of what is wrong with the sport now, though. I am just a much bigger fan of the pride long opening rounds and judging criteria.

You can look through my post history and I bet one of the most common phrases would be

"Effort to finish"

If effort to finish was stressed more in the judging criteria then you'd see a lot less LnP decisions. Because let's face it- a close call with a triangle choke is much more dangerous to a person than is someone laying on top of them for 5 minutes. Someone could lay on you throwing weak ass light GnP for 4:30 of a 5 minute round, but if for those :30 seconds you had them almost locked up in a triangle and a couple arm bars you'd win the round.

Post #19   8/20/10 2:00:59AM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,543-899
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by Jackelope

BJJ- everything you say is basically true, but like I said before you have to give credit to the wrestlers nowadays who have cross trained in BJJ and use it to negate the effectiveness of the guard. Literally the statistics don't lie. 7 or 8 years ago there's no way in hell I would have picked a wrestler like Jon Fitch coming into the sport against a legitimate BJJ black belt. So some credit has to be given to the wrestlers who have trained in BJJ and learned to nullify its effectiveness when it comes to these fights.

I do tend to agree that decisions are part of what is wrong with the sport now, though. I am just a much bigger fan of the pride long opening rounds and judging criteria.

You can look through my post history and I bet one of the most common phrases would be

"Effort to finish"

If effort to finish was stressed more in the judging criteria then you'd see a lot less LnP decisions. Because let's face it- a close call with a triangle choke is much more dangerous to a person than is someone laying on top of them for 5 minutes. Someone could lay on you throwing weak ass light GnP for 4:30 of a 5 minute round, but if for those :30 seconds you had them almost locked up in a triangle and a couple arm bars you'd win the round.

That's exactly how I see it. But I don't think you really need to even change what the rules say. I don't understand how "effective grappling" means laying in guard defending submissions instead of attacking of your back and trying to finish the fight. They could clarify effective to mean closest to finishing the fight, however.

And I'm not trying to say that wrestlers deserve no credit. They are great athletes with certain very high level skills. But what they do is not winning a fight, it is effectively using the rules to gain a victory.

Post #20   8/20/10 4:05:32PM   

zephead

The Dancer

zephead Avatar

Career:541-400
Camp: Ground'N'Pound
Chips:

Posted by boarderxcosta

Remember what he said after Sonnen beat Marquardt, Okami and Miller ?

“I think closed guard is dead in MMA right now,” “Unless you’re Demian Maia or Shinya Aoki forget about it – you’re either getting up, or getting on top.”

Forget about pulling off submissions from your back nowadays, strong wrestlers like Chael Sonnen – they’ll just pound you out all day long,”

Well that is why jits is the best and always will be. Anderson Silva backed that up last night all the way and reminded us why he is called THE SPIDER.

It's never over.

Jits isn't the best, it's one aspect of MMA that you need.

"To me the records were just a starting point," recalls John Paul Jones, "The most important thing was always the stage show. So many great nights. At our worst we were still better than most. At our best we could just wipe the floor with the lot of them. It was just a very good live band."

Post #21   8/21/10 4:18:56PM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:

Posted by bjj1605

Posted by Jackelope

"Effort to finish"

That's exactly how I see it. But I don't think you really need to even change what the rules say. I don't understand how "effective grappling" means laying in guard defending submissions instead of attacking of your back and trying to finish the fight. They could clarify effective to mean closest to finishing the fight, however.

And I'm not trying to say that wrestlers deserve no credit. They are great athletes with certain very high level skills. But what they do is not winning a fight, it is effectively using the rules to gain a victory.

That's kind of a broad assumption about wrestlers, don't you think? We have seen some incredible wrestlers over the years. If it wasn't for wrestlers, we wouldn't have ground n pound.

Last edited 8/21/10 6:59PM server time by warglory
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #22   8/21/10 6:58:32PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Career:534-389
Chips:

Posted by warglory

That's kind of a broad assumption about wrestlers, don't you think? We have seen some incredible wrestlers over the years. If it wasn't for wrestlers, we wouldn't have ground n pound.

Okay Madden, that's a little like saying if it wasn't for the quarterbacks we wouldn't have a passing game.

Post #23   8/21/10 8:03:42PM   

Page 2 of 2     1     2