Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Sonnon Sets Compustrike Record

Print  
  Page 2 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

gartface

Heavyweight Champ

gartface Avatar

Career:1,406-898
Camp: Hand Grenade Hillbillies
Chips:

Posted by DaMaGeInC

Chael brought it and lost, and more then likely will loose the rematch. great fight tho are house was blowin up all fight card great night

I don't see this rematch happening for a while. I say they both have a fight after this. And I think Vitor beats Anderson.

Oh, and it's LOSE not LOOSE!

Post #16   8/8/10 5:03:08PM   

chickmagnet

MMA Sensei

chickmagnet Avatar

Career:529-344
Camp: The Pit
Chips:

Posted by FrankTheTank1181

Posted by chickmagnet

YES! Despite the outcome, I was so happy to see Anderson get made a fool of by Sonnen!

WAR CHAEL

I think the fool is the one that tapped, not the one with the belt...

Okay maybe a fool tapped but he treated anderson like his girlfriend for 97 % of the fight.

Post #17   8/8/10 5:26:45PM   

BustedKnuckle

MMA Sensei

BustedKnuckle Avatar

Career:659-381
Chips:

Posted by chickmagnet

YES! Despite the outcome, I was so happy to see Anderson get made a fool of by Sonnen!

WAR CHAEL

I dont see how he was made a fool, he won the fight!!?? He was dominated for 41/2 rnds but stayed level headed enough to finally capitalize on one of Sonnen's mistakes. And all this talk about instant re-match, is rubbish. I dont like it at all. it for sure snubbes the other top contenders that fought thier asses off to get there and makes them wait for another chance. Just so a guy who just lost a fight can fight for the title again?? And i'm not just talking about Silva/Sonnen. Edgar/Penn is another.

Post #18   8/8/10 5:32:22PM   

Lazerface

Learning to Sprawl

Lazerface Avatar

Career:58-45
Chips:
Compu-strike, FightMetric, Chael's dominating position (almost the entire fight), & him rockin' silva in the 1st rd------------All mean 2 things right now--"Jack" and "S#%t".....I'm not trying to be a hater or anything-Chael dominated Anderson like nobody I've ever seen-But in the end he still lost. Also did anybody else notice how much damage anderson absorbed and his face didn't even have a scratch on it????? Chael's Face was smashed after the fight...........Wow.

Post #19   8/8/10 5:39:56PM   

FrankTheTank1181

Standup Guy

FrankTheTank1181 Avatar

Career:1,487-880
Camp: 360 Mafia
Chips:

Posted by chickmagnet

Posted by FrankTheTank1181

Posted by chickmagnet

WAR CHAEL

I think the fool is the one that tapped, not the one with the belt...

Okay maybe a fool tapped but he treated anderson like his girlfriend for 97 % of the fight.

LOL, he sure did, but that last 3% is what mattered the most.

Post #20   8/8/10 5:42:34PM   

BigBadAl

In Full Mount

BigBadAl Avatar

Career:408-321
Chips:

Posted by BustedKnuckle

Posted by chickmagnet

WAR CHAEL

I dont see how he was made a fool, he won the fight!!?? He was dominated for 41/2 rnds but stayed level headed enough to finally capitalize on one of Sonnen's mistakes. And all this talk about instant re-match, is rubbish. I dont like it at all. it for sure snubbes the other top contenders that fought thier asses off to get there and makes them wait for another chance. Just so a guy who just lost a fight can fight for the title again?? And i'm not just talking about Silva/Sonnen. Edgar/Penn is another.

Why not? Nobody has ever done that to Silva in the UFC and I don't know of anyone else who can right now. Let Anderson prove he really is the boss and go again. This time he will know exactly what Chael brings so I would be really interested to see how the champion prepares for someone he knows has a realistic chance of beating him.

Post #21   8/8/10 5:58:48PM   

jlock003

Standup Guy

jlock003 Avatar

Career:543-400
Camp: MAYHEM MONKEYS!!!!!!
Chips:
What happened to Tim Sylvia after he beat Big Nog's ass for two rounds before getting caught in a choke? Oh he got booted. I'm not at all saying that Sonnen should be booted, as a matter of fact what he did was really impressive, but MMA is a great sport because of fights like last night's. Sonnen has been vulnerable throughout his entire carreer to submissions from the bottom and last night that weakness was exposed again. Now, it also appears that Silva has a bit of a weakness as well in the wrestling area, but let us not forget that Sonnen is a world class wrestler. The munoz/okami fight was a greater testament to Sonnen's wrestling ability to me than anything I've seen him do. Munoz couldn't buy a takedown worth any significance in that fight, and Chael dominated Okami with takedown after takedown. Mark Munoz is a wrestling beast, but Chael Sonnen is a different level of wrestler. The thing Chael is lacking is pretty clearly the powerful gnp that it would take to finish off a guy from the ground. Can anybody think of another guy who seems to be the most dominant wrestler in mma who has leathal elbows and has stopped guys with gNp??? I want to see the GSP fight now more than ever. We have no idea how badly Silva's ribs were truly hurt, or what impact that had on the fight. I don't think Vitor stands the same chance at beating Silva that Sonnen did. It's going to be insanely difficult to put anybody in the cage with the guy who will outstrike him in a standup war and Vitor has amazing hands, but he doesn't have the pinpoint accuracy of Silva. Last night was a great card to me personally and I'm really excited to see what happens from here. Superman has been exposed.

Post #22   8/8/10 7:11:06PM   

RNstanger

Learning to Sprawl

Career:247-170
Camp: Xtreme Couture
Chips:
For a split second I thought I was watching a replay of Sonnen vs. Filho in that last round. Great fight though.

Post #23   8/8/10 10:02:40PM   

Manak

Belt Contender

Manak Avatar

Career:164-106
Camp: UFC-PRIDE-MMA
Chips:

Posted by jlock003

What happened to Tim Sylvia after he beat Big Nog's ass for two rounds before getting caught in a choke? Oh he got booted. I'm not at all saying that Sonnen should be booted, as a matter of fact what he did was really impressive, but MMA is a great sport because of fights like last night's. Sonnen has been vulnerable throughout his entire carreer to submissions from the bottom and last night that weakness was exposed again. Now, it also appears that Silva has a bit of a weakness as well in the wrestling area, but let us not forget that Sonnen is a world class wrestler. The munoz/okami fight was a greater testament to Sonnen's wrestling ability to me than anything I've seen him do. Munoz couldn't buy a takedown worth any significance in that fight, and Chael dominated Okami with takedown after takedown. Mark Munoz is a wrestling beast, but Chael Sonnen is a different level of wrestler. The thing Chael is lacking is pretty clearly the powerful gnp that it would take to finish off a guy from the ground. Can anybody think of another guy who seems to be the most dominant wrestler in mma who has leathal elbows and has stopped guys with gNp??? I want to see the GSP fight now more than ever. We have no idea how badly Silva's ribs were truly hurt, or what impact that had on the fight. I don't think Vitor stands the same chance at beating Silva that Sonnen did. It's going to be insanely difficult to put anybody in the cage with the guy who will outstrike him in a standup war and Vitor has amazing hands, but he doesn't have the pinpoint accuracy of Silva. Last night was a great card to me personally and I'm really excited to see what happens from here. Superman has been exposed.

totally agree man, vitor has the speed to keep up with silva but wont be able to handle the accuracy n power. But man GSP must have been bouncing off the walls, injury or no injury GSP can do what Sonnen did. GSP/Silva needs to happen now

Post #24   8/8/10 10:03:50PM   

mojo

Learning to Sprawl

mojo Avatar

Career:278-163
Camp: WEYBURN TOP TEAM
Chips:
I don't really think this warrants an immediate rematch. I think that Shogun and Machida, as well as Edgar/Penn deserved to have rematches because they were controversial decisions. This fight was stopped by submission. Yes it was a tough fight for Anderson, but does every fighter who makes gives the champion a tough fight deserve a rematch? Maybe if by some ridiculous scam Sonnen lost a decision (not that it would have been possible) then I would say rematch for sure. But since Chael was submittted I think he should have to win a couple other fights before he gets another shot. Just my opinion.

Post #25   8/8/10 10:44:09PM   

supatolacyl

MMA Regular

supatolacyl Avatar

Career:1,157-897
Chips:
My hats off to both fighters, Chael for putting on such a dominating preformance and Anderson for absoribing it and not having his brain scrabmled from taking all those shots (regardless of 1 inchers or not 200 of them add up) and being able to pull of a last minute sub, Would have been funny if Silva said that one was for Armstrong. I'm not big on automatic rematches, unless a champ loses the belt by a close decision or a fighter beats the champ but gets screwed on the card. Since nethier happened in this fight, I would like to see Okami recieve his much awaited shot. Also, if Chael fights one of the other top 3 MW (Vitor, Marquardt or Belcher) and beats them I could see him being awarded a shot at redemption. Ethier way it was a great fight to watch and all around one of the best PPV all year!!

Post #26   8/9/10 4:06:53AM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Career:534-389
Chips:

Posted by Lazerface

Compu-strike, FightMetric, Chael's dominating position (almost the entire fight), & him rockin' silva in the 1st rd------------All mean 2 things right now--"Jack" and "S#%t".....I'm not trying to be a hater or anything-Chael dominated Anderson like nobody I've ever seen-But in the end he still lost. Also did anybody else notice how much damage anderson absorbed and his face didn't even have a scratch on it????? Chael's Face was smashed after the fight...........Wow.

I know I was drinking that night, but am I the only person who saw that Anderson was busted up as well. He was bruised along his face. Maybe I need to adjust the coloring of my TV, but I've met the man, several times, that's not how his face "normally" looks.

Post #27   8/9/10 9:56:45AM   

ripley

Learning to Sprawl

Career:-
Chips:
The amazing thing is, Sonnen's face was still battered at the end of the bout.

Post #28   8/9/10 10:28:52AM   

finnish_line

In Full Mount

finnish_line Avatar

Career:517-331
Camp: Great Boxe
Chips:

Sonnen's done a lot more at Middleweight to deserve a 2nd shot than Vitor has to deserve a first.

Immediate rematch or one fight in between, I'd be happy with either.

Give Okami the shot and have Vitor face Sonnen maybe. Or Sonnen/Munoz.

Post #29   8/9/10 10:46:39AM   

jlock003

Standup Guy

jlock003 Avatar

Career:543-400
Camp: MAYHEM MONKEYS!!!!!!
Chips:

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Posted by Lazerface

I know I was drinking that night, but am I the only person who saw that Anderson was busted up as well. He was bruised along his face. Maybe I need to adjust the coloring of my TV, but I've met the man, several times, that's not how his face "normally" looks.

I didn't notice any cuts, but there was definitely some swelling and bruising. I still would contend that if Sonnen had some power behind his GnP attack that Silva would have been in a lot worse shape.

Post #30   8/9/10 11:38:22AM   

Page 2 of 3     1     2     3