Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Demian Maia vs. Mario Miranda On Tap For UFC 118

Print  
Posted By Message

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:
Demian Maia will now fight in August. Sources close to the Brazilian grappling ace informed MMAjunkie.com that Maia will face middleweight prospect Mario Miranda at UFC 118 in Boston. Verbal agreements are in place, paperwork pending.

Article

Post #1   8/3/10 3:39:07PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
Do we see the submission machine come back to form here?

Post #2   8/3/10 4:01:29PM   

RyanC

MMA Sensei

RyanC Avatar

Career:472-317
Camp: Journalistas
Chips:

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

Looks to be a tailor made matchup for him to get back to form. . . .

Post #3   8/3/10 4:08:42PM   

skitzo

MMA Regular

skitzo Avatar

Career:272-153
Chips:

Posted by RyanC

Somewhat true, but Miranda is no slouch on the ground himself and he is also a good wrestler. I know, Maia has had no problems with wrestlers in the past, but this wrestler is also a legit BJJ practitioner. With that said, I also see Maia winning. Just don't be surprised if Miranda makes it to the final bell, as I see him putting on a competitive fight and giving Maia a few scares while they're on their feet.

Last edited 8/3/10 4:52PM server time by skitzo
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #4   8/3/10 4:49:07PM   

RyanC

MMA Sensei

RyanC Avatar

Chips:

Posted by skitzo

Posted by RyanC

Somewhat true, but Miranda is no slouch on the ground himself and he is also a good wrestler. I know, Maia has had no problems with wrestlers in the past, but this wrestler is also a legit BJJ blackbelt. With that said, I also see Maia winning. Just don't be surprised if Miranda makes it to the final bell, as I see him putting on a competitive fight and giving Maia a few scares while they're on their feet.

I didn't mean to take away from Miranda's skills with that comment. I just mean we've got a guy who's base is BJJ and wrestling, and Demian Maia who is obviously a BJJ wizard. Miranda will either have to go away from his strengths, or test Maia on the ground in which case I do not see him winning. Miranda may be legit black belt, but he's still not Demian Maia in the BJJ department. That being said an MMA match and a grappling match are far different animals, so you never know.

Post #5   8/3/10 4:58:00PM   

icantthinkofanything

MMA Sensei

icantthinkofanything Avatar

Career:911-636
Camp: 360 Mafia
Chips:
I hope these high level bjj guys like Maia stay around. I like Maia's fights usually and the throw and sub combo Maia pulled on Chael was so sweet!

Post #6   8/3/10 4:59:34PM   

RyanC

MMA Sensei

RyanC Avatar

Chips:

Posted by icantthinkofanything

I hope these high level bjj guys like Maia stay around. I like Maia's fights usually and the throw and sub combo Maia pulled on Chael was so sweet!

The problem with a lot of the high level JJ guys is that they only have one tool in the tool box. Not the case with all of them, but the really high level guys typically are kind of one dimensional, and people have figured out a lot of ways to neutralize the JJ. I'm with ya though. . . I hope they can find a way to hang around an succeed.

Post #7   8/3/10 5:01:38PM   

skitzo

MMA Regular

skitzo Avatar

Career:272-153
Chips:

Posted by RyanC

Posted by skitzo

Posted by RyanC

Somewhat true, but Miranda is no slouch on the ground himself and he is also a good wrestler. I know, Maia has had no problems with wrestlers in the past, but this wrestler is also a legit BJJ blackbelt. With that said, I also see Maia winning. Just don't be surprised if Miranda makes it to the final bell, as I see him putting on a competitive fight and giving Maia a few scares while they're on their feet.

I didn't mean to take away from Miranda's skills with that comment. I just mean we've got a guy who's base is BJJ and wrestling, and Demian Maia who is obviously a BJJ wizard. Miranda will either have to go away from his strengths, or test Maia on the ground in which case I do not see him winning. Miranda may be legit black belt, but he's still not Demian Maia in the BJJ department. That being said an MMA match and a grappling match are far different animals, so you never know.

Good points, I think I interpreted your comment wrong (in my defense, it was a vague comment you had made lol) and I also agree that he is not near Maia's level when it comes to BJJ. Just wanted to add that it wouldn't be a cakewalk for Maia and he does have to worry about his striking because he has some good power. So, even though his striking isn't his forte, his power could produce an upset.

Last edited 8/3/10 9:09PM server time by skitzo
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #8   8/3/10 9:03:57PM   

RyanC

MMA Sensei

RyanC Avatar

Chips:

Posted by skitzo

Posted by RyanC

Posted by skitzo

Posted by RyanC

Good points, I think I interpreted your comment wrong (in my defense, it was a vague comment you had made lol) and I also agree that he is not near Maia's level when it comes to BJJ. Just wanted to add that it wouldn't be a cakewalk for Maia and he does have to worry about his striking because he has some good power. So, even though his striking isn't his forte, his power could produce an upset.

My comment was vague. I agree with what you're saying as well. When a guy hits hard it can change everything.

Post #9   8/3/10 10:13:54PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
If it goes to a decision, miranda will probably take it.

Post #10   8/3/10 10:18:22PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,553-1,348
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I will take it
Better than nothing . I see maia taking this

Post #11   8/4/10 12:04:55AM