Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Insurance-Less Joe Stevenson Heads To Mexico, Still Wants Gomi Fight

Print  
Posted By Message

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:
This past Friday, UFC lightweight Joe Stevenson postponed an interview with MMAjunkie.com about his career plans. Why? He was headed across the border to Tijuana, Mexico. No, he didn't get a good deal on prescriptions, hit the club scene, or pick up some kitsch. He went because he didn't have health insurance, and X-rays on his knee proved cheaper across the border. Stevenson was supposed to face Takanori Gomi this past Sunday in San Diego at UFC on Versus 2. However, he was forced to withdraw when he tweaked his knee in training five weeks prior to the bout. Gomi instead took on Tyson Griffin and knocked him out with a wicked right hand in the first round of the Versus-televised bout. Despite the cancellation, Stevenson still badly wants the Gomi fight and hopes both the UFC and fans want to see him take on the Japanese star. He plans to call matchmaker Joe Silva to throw his name in the hat of possible future opponents. However, Stevenson's X-ray technician in Tijuana said he may have a partial tear of his LCL (lateral collateral ligament) or PCL (posterior cruciate ligament). Regardless, he believes he doesn't need surgery. And if he doesn't need surgery, he wants to fight. Stevenson is just one of many fighters who doesn't have health insurance and meets his health needs by hook or by crook while often relying on a network of friends and sympathetic professionals to receive medical care.

Article

Post #1   8/3/10 6:28:26AM   

tallica62

MMA Sensei

tallica62 Avatar

Career:1,954-1,208
Camp: Playground Bullies
Chips:
I'll preface this with saying I have no idea how it really works behind the scenes, but if the UFC wants the best for their fighters and looks out for their health, don't you think some kind of insurance plan would be part of the package?

or even if you are going to be a fighter, id say its pretty wise to make sure you have health insurance..even if you are paying it yourself...

Post #2   8/3/10 8:49:00AM   

ace_of_god

Learning to Sprawl

ace_of_god Avatar

Career:151-115
Camp: Grande Cajones Fight Camp
Chips:

Posted by tallica62

I'll preface this with saying I have no idea how it really works behind the scenes, but if the UFC wants the best for their fighters and looks out for their health, don't you think some kind of insurance plan would be part of the package?

or even if you are going to be a fighter, id say its pretty wise to make sure you have health insurance..even if you are paying it yourself...

I can imagine the premiums would be extraordinary if you put down on your health insurance form under employment "Getting hit in the face repeatedly"

Post #3   8/3/10 9:47:32AM   

lohmann

A Black Belt in Jiu-Jitsu

lohmann Avatar

Career:1,611-877
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by tallica62

I think the UFC pays all doctor bills resulting from fights but will not pay (and can not legally pay) for the bills resulting from training camps, etc. (unless you're Brock Lesnar).

Last edited 8/3/10 10:57AM server time by lohmann
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #4   8/3/10 10:55:00AM   

Caesarrrr

Standup Guy

Career:77-70
Chips:
I agree with the idea of the UFC being able to do a little more though. Hell, stevenson is getting by with help from friends. The UFC can set up a fund of about 50,000 a year, and forward some money to their fighters when they need it. Worst comes to worst, you then take that out of their future purse. There is a way to make things better for fighters, the UFC just has to pursue it.

Post #5   8/3/10 11:33:41AM   

RearNakedJoke

In Full Mount

RearNakedJoke Avatar

Career:1,223-863
Chips:

Posted by Caesarrrr

I agree with the idea of the UFC being able to do a little more though. Hell, stevenson is getting by with help from friends. The UFC can set up a fund of about 50,000 a year, and forward some money to their fighters when they need it. Worst comes to worst, you then take that out of their future purse. There is a way to make things better for fighters, the UFC just has to pursue it.

Maybe Joe didnt ask?

Post #6   8/3/10 12:52:35PM   

Caesarrrr

Standup Guy

Chips:
I respect the idea of needing to ask, but in some instances, it's common sense to figure it out. Joe is publicly talking about how he can't afford things in the U.S, the UFC shouldn't wait for someone to ask, they should have some money set aside specifically to help fighters. In the long run, it develops better relations with fighters, and it also helps ensure a fighter returns in top form, which benefits the UFC.

Post #7   8/3/10 3:53:30PM   

noahgenda

Standup Guy

noahgenda Avatar

Career:315-179
Chips:
lol, a $50,000 health fund would last 2 surgeries

Post #8   8/3/10 4:08:09PM   

BustedKnuckle

MMA Sensei

BustedKnuckle Avatar

Career:659-381
Chips:
The problem isn't the UFC it is the crooked doctors and insurance firms. I am not going to rant but it is what it is

Post #9   8/3/10 5:33:34PM   

Caesarrrr

Standup Guy

Chips:
I'll agree there are problems with healh care, but the UFC could do more.

The surgeries needed by most fighters would cost around 5-9 k per surgery, and the ufc wouldn't have to pay for it all. They could say you match us, we'll take it out of your next few fight purses. It's not a difficult concept, to me.

Post #10   8/3/10 7:48:06PM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,510-1,592
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
This is a long and old argument, I am one that thinks if you sign a guy to a 4 fight 2 year contract then you should supply the med insurance he needs to work for you during that time. If you want real good health insurance you have to either pay for it or move to Canada, and no self respecting red blooded American would consider the latter as a real option.

Post #11   8/3/10 11:45:09PM