Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

UFC's Jake Ellenberger wants top-10 opponent but open to John Howard rematch

Print  
Posted By Message

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,296-1,214
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
SAN DIEGO – While Jake Ellenberger thinks his victory over John Howard opens the door to a fight with a top-10 welterweight, he's happy to run it back with Howard.

Ellenberger (23-5 MMA, 2-1 UFC) earned a TKO victory in San Diego on Sunday at UFC on Versus 2 after the cageside doctor ruled Howard (14-5 MMA, 4-1 UFC) unable to continue due to a swollen-shut left eye.

"I got the win, which is nice, obviously, but that's not the way you want to win – having the ref stop it like it was," Ellenberger said. "I'd love to do it again."

LINK

Post #1   8/2/10 11:05:17AM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,436-1,301
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I could easily see him facing winner of fitch vs alves

Post #2   8/2/10 12:52:40PM   

bosanceros

MMA Regular

bosanceros Avatar

Career:588-301
Chips:
this guys a beast and will fight for the title one day, i see him as 3-0 in ufc cause that condit fight i felt he won. also the other guy thats going to do very well is almeida, people keep overlooking him in this division and i think hes going to finish hughes within 2 rounds honestly

Post #3   8/2/10 2:28:22PM   

DosBox

MMA Regular

DosBox Avatar

Career:913-534
Chips:
I've been big on Ellenberger for a while - I see him as a more polished WW version of Ryan Bader.

He has a ton of power in his hands, the only thing about throwing fastballs and going for heavy slams is you exert a lot of energy, and in three round fights he tends to taper off a little bit(much like Bader). He was in control against Howard because the takedown was always there.
I wouldnt favor him against Alves/Koscheck but I think he could take out Fitch (but I think Fitch might be able to decision Alves - weird I know). I think a top 10 fighter that can defend takedowns would be a good test for Ellenberger. I am all for that.

Post #4   8/2/10 2:39:00PM   

Caesarrrr

Standup Guy

Career:77-70
Chips:

Posted by bosanceros

this guys a beast and will fight for the title one day, i see him as 3-0 in ufc cause that condit fight i felt he won.

I agree about the beast part, but to be fair, he's 2-1 in the UFC, and he didn't exactly win decisively in my eyes last night. He had good takedowns, and he controlled the fight well, but he left himself open way too much, as shown by the fact that Howard clipped him a few times. He had decent GnP, but realistically it was probably one or two elbows that broke the orbital, and Howard blew out through his nose and caused it to swell. At that point, it doesn't take much to increase the swelling.

Still, excellent win for Ellenberger, I'd love a rematch, but I saw Paulo Thiago next.

Post #5   8/2/10 2:57:42PM   

kopower

Heavyweight Champ

kopower Avatar

Career:2,263-1,218
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by Caesarrrr

Posted by bosanceros

this guys a beast and will fight for the title one day, i see him as 3-0 in ufc cause that condit fight i felt he won.

I agree about the beast part, but to be fair, he's 2-1 in the UFC, and he didn't exactly win decisively in my eyes last night. He had good takedowns, and he controlled the fight well, but he left himself open way too much, as shown by the fact that Howard clipped him a few times. He had decent GnP, but realistically it was probably one or two elbows that broke the orbital, and Howard blew out through his nose and caused it to swell. At that point, it doesn't take much to increase the swelling.

Still, excellent win for Ellenberger, I'd love a rematch, but I saw Paulo Thiago next.

I agree. I wasn't overly impressed with him. Showed a decent chin with some nice gnp, but he gasses out. He did get rocked a few times too. Looked like midway through the 2nd into the 3rd he was running on fumes. I don't think he'll be a title contender anytime soon but I've been wrong before. Still a nice win

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in the playground is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no props, and may the mods have mercy on your soul.

Post #6   8/2/10 7:18:16PM