Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

UFC Sues Bellator & Fighter Agent

Print  
Posted By Message

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:
Zuffa LLC, the parent company of the Ultimate Fighting Championship and World Extreme Cagefighting, has filed suit against Ken Pavia, one of the sport’s most prominent fighter agents, alleging Pavia passed along trade secrets and confidential Zuffa documents to rival mixed martial arts promotion Bellator. The suit alleges that Bellator used the documents to help run its business. Pavia is the founder of MMA Agents and represents in excess of 50 fighters, more than 40 of whom are now or have been in the past under contract to Zuffa. Bellator, which is a co-defendant, is a fledgling MMA promotional company that has earned rave reviews for the entertaining fights it made during its first two seasons, which were broadcast initially on ESPN Deportes and then on FOX Sports Net, among other networks.

Article

Post #1   7/30/10 6:48:41AM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:
If those emails are accurate, then this is a pretty cut and dry case. This is really low of Pavia to exploit the UFC like this, very unprofessional.

Post #2   7/30/10 10:44:50AM   

telnights

MODesty

telnights Avatar

Career:1,376-760
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
If what the emails the UFC claims in the lawsuit are real then I can understand why the UFC has opened this case. From what I have seen so far the UFC doesn't seam to open cases it isn't sure it can win. But I will wait for all the details to come out before I agree or disagree.

Post #3   7/30/10 1:51:53PM   

ChokeUout

In Full Mount

ChokeUout Avatar

Career:446-268
Chips:

Posted by telnights

If what the emails the UFC claims in the lawsuit are real then I can understand why the UFC has opened this case. From what I have seen so far the UFC doesn't seam to open cases it isn't sure it can win. But I will wait for all the details to come out before I agree or disagree.

I agree, Zuffa doesn't engage in battles they aren't guarenteed to win. I'm sure their lawyers are top notch. Plus, Pavia doesn't have the best rep out there, so it's not looking good for Bellator in this case

Post #4   7/30/10 6:09:32PM   

noahgenda

Standup Guy

noahgenda Avatar

Career:315-179
Chips:
the ufc could win, but what would the damages be? did bellator solicit the material directly? how did this negatively effect the ufc?

Post #5   7/31/10 3:55:28PM   

ncordless

MODulation

ncordless Avatar

Career:1,888-1,075
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by noahgenda

the ufc could win, but what would the damages be? did bellator solicit the material directly? how did this negatively effect the ufc?

It does sound like bellator solicited the material, but you have a point on damages. The most likely remedy would be an injunction against using the materials, but if they have been having their people study them already it is probably likely that they will be able to recreate without the benefit of the template.

Post #6   7/31/10 4:02:16PM