Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

How Many Wins Before Jon Jones Gets A Title Shot?

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:
UFC UK President Marshall Zelaznik thinks that if Jones wins at UFC on Versus 2, maybe a year or so assuming he can get a couple more wins in a row. "Jon just burst onto the scene but has looked so exciting in all his fights. I'm not privy to the thinking of Dana [White] on the matter, but Jon Jones is certainly one of those guys with a lot of expectation who Dana and Joe [Silva] will have to nurture in the correct way. A victory over Vladimir Matyushenko would already put Jones at the top and closing in on a title shot. He would probably be two or three fights away, and if he keeps winning it will be very hard to keep him from walking through that Octagon door to a title shot. Jon's got a great temperament, nobody is really pissed off by him, and he has plenty of people wanting to work out the mystery of how to beat him."

Article

Post #1   7/26/10 10:48:31AM   

bloodsportmma

Learning to Sprawl

bloodsportmma Avatar

Career:-
Chips:
My guess would be TWO fights if he continues to finish fights in explosive fashion as he has in recent appearances, and THREE fights if he cools off a bit by going the distance and/or getting tagged up by his opponents...

The kid looks incredible, and in my opinion has Jose Aldo potential in terms of what he can do to the 205lb. division, especially when you consider that nearly all of the top talent at light heavyweight is on the north side of 30 (Rashad, Rampage, A. Silva, Machida, Rua) with the only exception being Thiago Silva...

Post #2   7/26/10 11:17:23AM   

finnish_line

In Full Mount

finnish_line Avatar

Career:517-331
Camp: Great Boxe
Chips:

Two more high profile wins (assuming he wins on Sunday).

Three if they hold that DQ loss against him, which I doubt they do.

Post #3   7/26/10 11:25:58AM   

casketcoin

Standup Guy

casketcoin Avatar

Career:2,144-1,416
Camp: Fight Ducker
Chips:
Yeah. 3 or 4 considering the names...good wins over Rich Tito and Lil Nog would secure a title shot

Post #4   7/26/10 12:12:21PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,496-876
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
If he beats Vlad then I think he should be two wins out. Say he beats Vlad. I'd like to see him fight Forrest Griffin. Forrest is a big name but not a huge threat to Jones IMO. Then he'd have to win a high profile fight over a contender. If he beat Rampage, Machida, Lil Nog (if Nog beats Bader), or someone like that then he'd be ready IMO. If you think he needs three more fights I could see him fighting Tito or Thiago Silva before or after Forrest in order to earn the number one contender fight.

This kid has a ton of potential and is very exciting. But I'm not totally sold on him yet for a few reasons. First, we've yet to see him challenged in a fight. It's all fine and dandy when you're running through everyone, but fighting becomes a new animal when you're getting beat on and have to come back. Who remembers how Dave Terrel wilted when he was punished by Evan Tanner?

Second, his 'unorthodox style' of striking has a lot of technical holes. We've seen a lot of fighters who do things very different and it works against a lot of guys. But some where down the road they almost always run into a very fundamentally sound fighter who has take the time to study their game, and their holes are exposed.

Third, his submission game hasn't been tested or proven. We know he can use flashy strikes, throw folks around, and finish with GNP... but can he defend or use submissions? It's an integral part of the game and more than one rising prospect has had his climb to the top blocked because he was wanting in that skill.

I think the fights I suggested would test him in the places that he's still unproven. Forrest has a good submission game for one, and he's also a tough fighter who doesn't give up. Jon Jones might be in for a war in that fight, something that would test him mentally. Rampage has the kind of power that means one shot could put you in la la land. We'd see Jone's chin and recovery. Lil Nog would test his ground game. Machida would test his striking.

Post #5   7/26/10 1:12:10PM   

Chael_Sonnen

Follow.The.Buzzards

Chael_Sonnen Avatar

Career:1,277-785
Chips:
2-3...hopefully two.

Post #6   7/26/10 1:13:41PM   

seanfu

BANNED

seanfu Avatar

Career:233-122
Chips:
I know it's not boxing but I wish guys like Rashad Evans and Jon Jones had more time to learn and build before going for the top. Champions usually just don't have time to evolve and learn because they're too busy gameplanning and healing from fighting elite oponents.

Post #7   7/26/10 1:34:02PM   

BigIP

Standup Guy

BigIP Avatar

Career:43-35
Chips:
I say 2 fights. If he beats the Janitor I want him to fight Thiago or Forrest and then he gets a title shot.

Post #8   7/26/10 2:01:06PM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,487-1,427
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
if people keep buzzing about the guy and he keeps on looking like a man among boys then its going to come quick. im extremely interested to see him against top tier guys at 205, hes got so much hype behind him and to this point none of it looks undeserved.

Post #9   7/26/10 2:01:55PM   

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:
I think 2 more is reasonable including Vlad. If he wins and looks good against Vlad, he should get a #1 contender fight next. If he wins that and it's not a dull or boring decision win, he should be looking at a title shot.

Post #10   7/26/10 2:09:28PM   

telnights

MODesty

telnights Avatar

Career:1,337-741
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
I like the fact they don't seam to be rushing him to much. Given the time he could become one of the best ever at 205.

Post #11   7/26/10 2:26:27PM   

BustedKnuckle

MMA Sensei

BustedKnuckle Avatar

Career:659-381
Chips:
if they keep him fighting guys like Vladdy................it will be a while if not he could get there in a hurry. i see Jones getting a few more fights under his belt. At least 3 . The LHW division is stacked and he has time to wait and refine his skills before jumping headlong into a title fight.

Post #12   7/26/10 7:00:56PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,339-1,246
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I say 2 more wins let's face it he would have beat hamill
I think after vladmir. I can see him facing forrest griffin next
But would like to see him fight for interim belt.
But I am calling it now. Dec their will be a interim championship

Post #13   7/26/10 7:06:59PM   

deck15

MMA Regular

Career:481-348
Chips:
someone who can counter some of his strikes will show how good he really is. I think Franklin would be a good match up to watch.

Post #14   7/27/10 3:31:11PM   

MaxOne

Captain Doctor

MaxOne Avatar

Career:862-586
Camp: Team Syntax
Chips:
I would love to see him work his way up slowly. There are a ton of fights he could get w/out going backwards. He's explosive but he's clearly still learning and seems to have crazy potential. I'd love to see him get more experience first and continue to develop.

Post #15   7/27/10 10:00:32PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2