Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Mayweather/UFC Article

Print  
Posted By Message

Lay_N_Pray

In Full Mount

Lay_N_Pray Avatar

Career:253-130
Camp: TAPOUT
Chips:
More coverage on the Mayweather/UFC feud

UFC/Mayweather Article

Last edited 4/19/07 4:05PM server time by Lay_N_Pray
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #1   4/19/07 4:04:49PM   

mma_fan_matt

MMA Regular

Career:145-79
Camp: Punishment Athletics
Chips:

Posted by Dana White

Floyd Mayweather would never fight in the UFC because he would get his head ripped off.

Nuff said for me. Nothing will ever come of this. Mayweather will keep running his mouth without stepping up.

Post #2   4/19/07 5:17:35PM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:
That was a well written article I have to say though. I enjoyed reading it.

Post #3   4/19/07 6:06:30PM   

Murd3rfac3

Learning to Sprawl

Murd3rfac3 Avatar

Career:273-181
Camp: Blood Sweat and Beers
Chips:
As right as you are it does go both ways. There is nobody in MMA that could go into the boxing ring and tear it up. I love MMA and I love Boxing. As far as what is better....Neither. It's combat no matter what the rules are.

Post #4   4/19/07 6:07:49PM   

gimmper

MMA Regular

gimmper Avatar

Career:394-246
Camp: duXup
Chips:
Correct but not because of the competition but rather the pay...Floyd would destroy the muscle shark in the boxing ring and vice versa...The best analogy that I've heard concerning this topic goes like this...Boxing and MMA...are like Rugby and football...both would dominate in their respected fields and possibly fail in the other. Until people realize that this is 2 totally different sports they will never get over the fact that to compare the two is foolish...We don't go around proclaiming the Colts would destroy the New Zealand All Blacks...it just doesn't make sense. And Floyd knows this but with all the hype around MMA he knows he can keep a buzz going....Thank you and long live the gluttons

Post #5   4/19/07 6:12:40PM   

kerazzle

MMA Regular

kerazzle Avatar

Career:349-189
Camp: JT WarWagon
Chips:

Posted by gimmper

Correct but not because of the competition but rather the pay...Floyd would destroy the muscle shark in the boxing ring and vice versa...The best analogy that I've heard concerning this topic goes like this...Boxing and MMA...are like Rugby and football...both would dominate in their respected fields and possibly fail in the other. Until people realize that this is 2 totally different sports they will never get over the fact that to compare the two is foolish...We don't go around proclaiming the Colts would destroy the New Zealand All Blacks...it just doesn't make sense. And Floyd knows this but with all the hype around MMA he knows he can keep a buzz going....Thank you and long live the gluttons

Couldn't have said it better m yself. Excellent analogy. I was mainly a rugby player in highschool and I just couldnt adjust to football, the sports are completely different so I just stuck with Rugby. MMA and Boxing is just like that. However i do think the more accomplished athletes are in mma because of the wide skillset that they train.

Post #6   4/19/07 6:15:17PM   

gimmper

MMA Regular

gimmper Avatar

Career:394-246
Camp: duXup
Chips:
Oh and I almost forgot...rules dictate combat even in the MMA...If new rules are implemented we will see another breed of fighters emerge. MMA just found a new groove with cross training that did away with what originally dominated it. Each form of combat should be respected for what it represents and nothing can be taken away from any of these gluttonous champions blood, sweat and tears.

Post #7   4/19/07 6:18:30PM   

pv3Hpv3p

Heavyweight Champ

pv3Hpv3p Avatar

Career:827-576
Chips:
I just think it's kind of amusing that Floyd seems so much on the defensive about this... My the tables have turned in the last decade or so

I think I'd rather see PBF fight BJ, though

Post #8   4/19/07 6:21:59PM   

Gladiator

In Full Mount

Gladiator Avatar

Career:896-523
Chips:

Posted by gimmper

good post but i think the thing that gets me most is that floyd said that any boxer would knockout an mma fighter before they even got a chance to take him down, a statement like that implies that boxers are the all around better fighters and would dominate mma as well. i would love to see him put his theory to the test and find out just how credible his statement is.

Post #9   4/19/07 6:55:20PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,690-1,487
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by Gladiator

Posted by gimmper

good post but i think the thing that gets me most is that floyd said that any boxer would knockout an mma fighter before they even got a chance to take him down, a statement like that implies that boxers are the all around better fighters and would dominate mma as well. i would love to see him put his theory to the test and find out just how credible his statement is.

This is my thought exactly. The best boxer and best fighter are two different things, and it seems as though Floyd is blurring the line between the two. Knocked out before they could even touch him? Does someone need to rent UFC 1 for him. Remember the guy that wore one boxing glove, so he wouldn't break his hand on Gracie. He didn't hit him once...and today's fighters are miles ahead of the wrestlers and BJJ blackbelts that were the first champions. If floyd was a kickboxer, I would maybe expect him to throw a knee or kick at the takedown attempt (since he wouldn't know how to sprawl), but he has nothing to offer.

Floyd says "Put one of our guys in UFC and he'd be the champion." That is one very bold statement. Let's look at the some past boxers in the UFC (the one's that made it past one fight): Don Frye, Vitor Belfort, Phil Baroni...they wouldn't have gone anwhere without knowing another discipline. Baroni, who has some wrestling experience, lost his key matches because his wrestling was only average. Floyd would probably repsond by saying "Who is Baroni? He's not a world class boxer." To which I would agree...but several world class kickboxers have made the transition. Besides the fact that I think that a kickerboxer is more dangerous than a boxer in MMA (I'm sure most agree), very few top kickboxers have made a good transition...and those who have learned quickly how important it is to be well rounded(i.e. CroCop vs Nog).

I have a feeling that Sherk could shoot from six feet away and it wouldn't much matter...he takes down excellent grapplers without much of a problem...I'm not seeing any resistance from a one dimensional boxer. I would love for this fight to happen, but something tells me that Floyd will never take it. I say put up or shut up.

Post #10   4/19/07 9:40:52PM   

Zvonimir

MMA Regular

Zvonimir Avatar

Career:279-164
Camp: JT WarWagon
Chips:
As said before Apples and Oranges. Any decent UFC LW would sub Floyd rather quickly. For example Ken Flo would beat Floyd IMHO. However, the LW w/ the best hands in the UFC would most likely get KTFO in a boxing match against a decent boxer. The problem is Floyd honestly thinks a boxer would dominate in MMA.

Post #11   4/20/07 12:29:01AM   

BIGKAT

Banned

Career:267-177
Chips:

Posted by Gladiator

Posted by gimmper

EXACTLY....Like no boxer has ever entered the octagon? Any boxers (strictly boxers) I've seen enter the octagon left a bloody mess from the beating he took.

Post #12   4/20/07 12:59:57AM   

Fanboy 1988

Standup Guy

Fanboy 1988  Avatar

Career:68-49
Chips:
Boxing wise mayweather would kill Sherk,and Vice Versa.. But MMA corporates more street fighting into it then boxing, so if they fought on the street where there are no rules it would probably be a mess for Mayweather also...

Last edited 4/20/07 11:04AM server time by MakoVictim
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #13   4/20/07 11:04:00AM