Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Fedor Emelianenko: 'Jiu-jitsu is nothing special -- my loss was caused by my personal mistake'

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:
"Sambo is great. Jiu-jitsu is nothing special. We went over several jiu-jitsu guys like that before. I lost because of what happened. My loss was caused by my personal mistake in the cageā€¦ I lost my head. Wanted to finish it all as soon as possible. As far as the rumors about my last fight being set up... I was asked about it many times already. I will never go against my conscience and never betray my country like that. Money doesn't matter that much to me that I could lie to people. Since I lost to Werdum, it was meant to be. And I'm thankful to God it happened that way."

Link

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #1   7/23/10 11:45:54AM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,550-909
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
Gotta half way disagree with Fedor here.
Sambo is great but so is BJJ.
Fedor probably did make a personal mistake but Werdum is no hack either.

Post #2   7/23/10 12:43:09PM   

RyanC

MMA Sensei

RyanC Avatar

Career:472-317
Camp: Journalistas
Chips:
There is no shame in being submitted by a two time Brazilian jiu jitsu world champion, and two time ADCC world heavyweight champion. I would argue that Werdum has the best BJJ of any heavyweight, and may be the best grappler of any heavyweight. I'm not sure why Fedor is being so dismissive of BJJ when he was just defeated by it. Sure Fedor probably made an error in judgement, but Werdum is incredibly skilled and capitalized on Fedor's mistake.

Last edited 7/23/10 1:12PM server time by RyanC
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #3   7/23/10 12:48:17PM   

BigIP

Standup Guy

BigIP Avatar

Career:43-35
Chips:
I think Fedor is trying to bait Werdum into a rematch with this comment. I also think he is trying to save face for his country sport Sambo. At least he admits it was his fault and not something else.

Post #4   7/23/10 1:37:44PM   

seanfu

BANNED

seanfu Avatar

Career:233-122
Chips:
I dont want a rematch. you used to have to earn those remember.
How hard did GSP fight to get both the rematches with Hughes and Serra, and then BJ, Shogun, and Cung Le all get theirs immediately.

It's BS, welcome to boxing politics everyone, now wait for the champion contracts to start having rematch clauses on them.

Post #5   7/23/10 2:07:49PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,598-933
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
This is the first statement from Fedor that has given me a negative impression of him. You may have fought Jiu Jitsu fighters before but you never fought one as good as Fabricio Werdum. Even Big Nog doesn't have the same caliber of jiu jitsu as Werdum. Fedor is probably a better fighter in every other aspect of the game, but not the one that mattered in this fight. Brazilian Jiu Jitsu is the most comprehensive, evolving, and effective grappling/submission art. Giving credit to the art of BJJ doesn't take anything away from sambo.

He was caught in a classical bjj submission by a high level guy, that was the cause of his loss.

Post #6   7/23/10 3:16:27PM   

BigIP

Standup Guy

BigIP Avatar

Career:43-35
Chips:

Posted by seanfu

How hard did GSP fight to get both the rematches with Hughes and Serra, and then BJ, Shogun, and Cung Le all get theirs immediately.

It's BS, welcome to boxing politics everyone, now wait for the champion contracts to start having rematch clauses on them.

If anyone deserves an immediate rematch it's someone that has won 28 fights in a row prior to the loss.

Post #7   7/23/10 3:27:13PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,952-1,623
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by seanfu

I would say that BJ and Shogun both earned their rematch...Le, not so much.

Post #8   7/23/10 3:50:22PM   

RyanC

MMA Sensei

RyanC Avatar

Career:472-317
Camp: Journalistas
Chips:

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by seanfu

I would say that BJ and Shogun both earned their rematch...Le, not so much.

BJ and Shogun got immediate rematches because it's arguable in both cases that they shouldn't have lost. I'm not going to beat a dead horse, but I don't see why there is any problem with either of them getting a rematch right away.

Post #9   7/23/10 4:37:43PM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Career:444-230
Chips:
Well it is true that it was his mistake but Werdum in probably one of the only HW's in the world who could have capitalized on it.

Post #10   7/23/10 4:50:19PM   

RearNakedJoke

In Full Mount

RearNakedJoke Avatar

Career:1,226-867
Chips:
90% of guys who "get caught" in a BJJ sub can say "i only lost because i made a mistake" their mistake was staying on the ground with a BJJ expert.

Stand up or take it like a man when you get subbed.

Post #11   7/23/10 5:00:32PM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:

Posted by mrsmiley

Gotta half way disagree with Fedor here.
Sambo is great but so is BJJ.
Fedor probably did make a personal mistake but Werdum is no hack either.

His meaning was probably either lost in translation or distorted as a result of being taken out of context. If the statement was prefaced with a question that was something like "Did you lose because Sambo is an inferior form of grappling" it would probably look more reasonable.

I also don't think he's saying that Jiu Jitsu is nothing special in the sense that it's an inferior discipline. I think he's just saying that he wasn't beaten because Jiu Jitsu is his weakness or somehow superior, that he has dealt with similar fighters before, and that he was beaten because he made an amateur mistake.

-edit-
I agree with his statement if that is his meaning, too. I think if they fought again Fedor could win on the ground the same way he did with Noguiera, but what he did was dive straight into Werdum's guard with one arm out. It was a pretty horrible mistake, let's be honest. Werdum did capitalize on it, but he also was handed a pretty beautiful position to begin with.

Last edited 7/23/10 5:57PM server time by Aether
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #12   7/23/10 5:53:21PM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:

Posted by seanfu

If being the best fighter on earth and not losing for your entire career which spans more than a decade doesn't put you in a position where you deserve a rematch with whoever eventually beats you I don't know what does. None of the situations you listed are comparable.

BJ and Shogun both lost as a result of bad judging and were given their deserved rematches as a result. Cung Le completely dominated Scott Smith for around 13 minutes and then got caught with a punch. It was clear throughout the fight that Smith was badly outclassed.

There were several reasons for GSP not getting an immediate rematch. He was not the dominant champion he is today at the time, he had never actually defended the belt, he was 1-1 against Matt Hughes and 0-1 against Serra in a lopsided loss, people still thought Koschek would be able to outwrestle him, and as a result GSP wasn't the clear dominant #1 that he is now.

He only had to fight ONCE before getting a title fight again, and the only reason his rematch with Serra took so long is because:
A) Serra was doing The Ultimate Fighter
B) Serra suffered an injury keeping him out of action for several months.

If you take the time to look at the context of each situation, you can clearly see why everything makes sense. It has nothing to do with politics at all, certain situations warrant an immediate rematch (a dominant champion finally losing, bad judging, etc.) while others do not (a division with 2-3 closely matched contenders at the top, injuries preventing the fight, etc.)

Post #13   7/23/10 6:18:53PM   

MaxOne

Captain Doctor

MaxOne Avatar

Career:862-586
Camp: Team Syntax
Chips:

Posted by Aether

Posted by seanfu

If being the best fighter on earth and not losing for your entire career which spans more than a decade doesn't put you in a position where you deserve a rematch with whoever eventually beats you I don't know what does. None of the situations you listed are comparable.

BJ and Shogun both lost as a result of bad judging and were given their deserved rematches as a result. Cung Le completely dominated Scott Smith for around 13 minutes and then got caught with a punch. It was clear throughout the fight that Smith was badly outclassed.

There were several reasons for GSP not getting an immediate rematch. He was not the dominant champion he is today at the time, he had never actually defended the belt, he was 1-1 against Matt Hughes and 0-1 against Serra in a lopsided loss, people still thought Koschek would be able to outwrestle him, and as a result GSP wasn't the clear dominant #1 that he is now.

He only had to fight ONCE before getting a title fight again, and the only reason his rematch with Serra took so long is because:
A) Serra was doing The Ultimate Fighter
B) Serra suffered an injury keeping him out of action for several months.

If you take the time to look at the context of each situation, you can clearly see why everything makes sense. It has nothing to do with politics at all, certain situations warrant an immediate rematch (a dominant champion finally losing, bad judging, etc.) while others do not (a division with 2-3 closely matched contenders at the top, injuries preventing the fight, etc.)

it's all up there above the nonsense i just typed.

Post #14   7/23/10 6:45:28PM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Career:444-230
Chips:

Posted by RearNakedJoke

90% of guys who "get caught" in a BJJ sub can say "i only lost because i made a mistake" their mistake was staying on the ground with a BJJ expert.

Stand up or take it like a man when you get subbed.

Well his mistake was trying to finish the fight to quickly and following Werdum to the ground, it wasn't like he took him down. It was his mistake he should have realized immidiately but he messed up, not really a big deal. We basically said the same thing but if a guy like Fedor gets caught chances are he got lazy as opposed to the guy pulling off an amazing move.

Post #15   7/23/10 8:37:25PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2