Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Ross Pearson Is "A Far Better Striker Than BJ Penn"

Print  
  Page 1 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:
At least the TUF 9 winner thinks he is. “We’re all very good at doing what we like to do. BJ’s ground game and wrestling is unbelievable, but I feel I’m a far better striker than he is. I might never be as good as he is at one thing, but he might never be as good as me at another. I’m not near a BJJ black belt, but a fight is a fight and anything can happen, that’s what makes the sport so exciting.” Should be noted, however, that Pearson TKOs opponents at a lower rate than Penn in his career to date-less than 30% (3 of 14) to Penn's 40%.

Article

Post #1   7/22/10 8:53:32AM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Career:534-389
Chips:
Why is a guy who has 5 submission wins compared to 2 KO wins talking about being a better striker through 14 fights than a fighter with 4 KO wins and 3 submission wins through his first 14 fights?

Post #2   7/22/10 9:22:28AM   

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:
Wow.... I'd love to see this fight happen. B.J would cripple him, Pearson is a tough guy but he's not excellent at anything.
I doubt he'd get past guys like Stevenson or Maynard but once he hits the actual contenders he'd get destroyed. Kenny would make him look slow and stupid on the feet and he could take him down and choke him out pretty much whenever he wanted.
B.J would pick him apart and would demand apologies before the end of the fight. It wouldn't even be close!

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #3   7/22/10 9:30:31AM   

Wand_is_GOD

MMA Regular

Wand_is_GOD Avatar

Career:97-61
Chips:

Posted by SmileR

Wow.... I'd love to see this fight happen. B.J would cripple him, Pearson is a tough guy but he's not excellent at anything.
I doubt he'd get past guys like Stevenson or Maynard but once he hits the actual contenders he'd get destroyed. Kenny would make him look slow and stupid on the feet and he could take him down and choke him out pretty much whenever he wanted.
B.J would pick him apart and would demand apologies before the end of the fight. It wouldn't even be close!

I would love to see him fight Stevenson or Maynard

Post #4   7/22/10 10:10:23AM   

RyanC

MMA Sensei

RyanC Avatar

Career:472-317
Camp: Journalistas
Chips:
Freddie Roach said BJ has the best boxing in MMA . . . nuff' said.

Post #5   7/22/10 10:13:31AM   

noahgenda

Standup Guy

noahgenda Avatar

Career:315-179
Chips:
freddie roach also said andrei arlovski has the best boxing in mma. freddie roach doesnt really know that much about mma. but this is a retarded opinion. bj penn is a beast and his jab alone is better than pearsons entire toolbox

Post #6   7/22/10 10:19:07AM   

D0wnUnd6e6r

Don't Eat The Yellow Snow

D0wnUnd6e6r Avatar

Career:2,035-1,142
Chips:

Post #7   7/22/10 10:19:30AM   

RyanC

MMA Sensei

RyanC Avatar

Career:472-317
Camp: Journalistas
Chips:

Posted by noahgenda

freddie roach also said andrei arlovski has the best boxing in mma. freddie roach doesnt really know that much about mma. but this is a retarded opinion. bj penn is a beast and his jab alone is better than pearsons entire toolbox

I was not aware of the Arlovski comment. I guess Freddie likes to talk out of both sides of his mouth. Probably not a coincidence that he's worked with BJ, and Andrei. Well that opinion kinda just went up in smoke. . . .

Does not change the fact that Pearson's comments are still ludicrous.

Post #8   7/22/10 10:26:55AM   

BigIP

Standup Guy

BigIP Avatar

Career:43-35
Chips:

Posted by RyanC

Posted by noahgenda

I was not aware of the Arlovski comment. I guess Freddie likes to talk out of both sides of his mouth. Probably not a coincidence that he's worked with BJ, and Andrei. Well that opinion kinda just went up in smoke. . . .

Does not change the fact that Pearson's comments are still ludicrous.

Arlovski does have the best boxing for a HW. I would say him and JDS are the best. AA problem is his chin. He just doesn't have the *best* chin!

Post #9   7/22/10 10:52:17AM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Chips:

Posted by BigIP

Arlovski does have the best boxing for a HW. I would say him and JDS are the best. AA problem is his chin. He just doesn't have the *best* chin!

I'd say that Toney's boxing is better? Using your criterion.

Post #10   7/22/10 10:54:40AM   

BigIP

Standup Guy

BigIP Avatar

Chips:

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Posted by BigIP

At the time of Roach's statement Toney was not in MMA. I would agree he is probably the best boxer but what I think Roach was referring to was the best boxing for a pure 'MMA' fighter.

Post #11   7/22/10 10:58:40AM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Chips:

Posted by BigIP

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Posted by BigIP

At the time of Roach's statement Toney was not in MMA. I would agree he is probably the best boxer but what I think Roach was referring to was the best boxing for a pure 'MMA' fighter.

At the risk of trying to piss you off, which I'm not, who, then would you consider the best pure boxing MMA fighter?

I can do better than Arlovski even then. Silva is a better boxer than Arlovski. Now, down to technical boxing (in no particular oder)

1. Marcus Davis
2. Little Nog
3.Cro Cop
4. Belfort
5. Bonnar

Post #12   7/22/10 11:07:36AM   

BigIP

Standup Guy

BigIP Avatar

Chips:

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Posted by BigIP

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Posted by BigIP

At the risk of trying to piss you off, which I'm not, who, then would you consider the best pure boxing MMA fighter?

I can do better than Arlovski even then. Silva is a better boxer than Arlovski. Now, down to technical boxing (in no particular oder)

1. Marcus Davis
2. Little Nog
3.Cro Cop
4. Belfort
5. Bonnar

I think for a HW AA and JDS are the best for MMA guys. Overall you forgot to mention guys like BJ, Frankie, Lytle, Hardy, Melvin Guillard and Paul Daley. Interesting topic!

Post #13   7/22/10 11:12:13AM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Chips:

Posted by BigIP

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Posted by BigIP

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Posted by BigIP

1. Marcus Davis
2. Little Nog
3.Cro Cop
4. Belfort
5. Bonnar

I think for a HW AA and JDS are the best for MMA guys. Overall you forgot to mention guys like BJ, Frankie, Lytle, Hardy, Melvin Guillard and Paul Daley. Interesting topic!

True

EDIT: I meant the interesting topic part

Last edited 7/22/10 11:20AM server time by blueskiesburn
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #14   7/22/10 11:19:49AM   

BigIP

Standup Guy

BigIP Avatar

Chips:
I forget to mention Rampage!!! Rampage under Junito was an awesome boxer. Might be the best at LHW?

Post #15   7/22/10 11:29:55AM   

Page 1 of 3     1     2     3