Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Diego Sanchez vs Paulo Thiago at UFC 121

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,763-1,756
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
scroll down
Diego Sanchez tells PennyJoMMA.com on Facebook that he'll be fighting Paulo Thiago at UFC 121 in Anaheim in October.
Sanchez has moved back to New Mexico and is now training at Albuquerque MMA.
Brock Lesnar vs. Cain Velasquez
Jake Shields vs. Martin Kampmann
Tito Ortiz vs. TBA
Patrick Cote vs. TBA
scroll down as well

Post #1   7/21/10 12:27:56AM   

tcunningham

Combat Sport and Fitness

tcunningham Avatar

Career:535-379
Chips:
due sanchez better show up this time. i dont know what happened in his last fight but he looked like sh*t. hes one of my favorite fighters cause he seems to always put on a good show and i hope he does on the next one.

Post #2   7/21/10 2:12:46AM   

isk

In Full Mount

isk Avatar

Career:-
Chips:
Should be a decent fight, but I'm betting Diego will get tooled on the feet and controlled on the mat. Both guys will be angry as hell coming off losses, but I think Thiago will focus that anger more intelligently. Diego may revert to his YES mantra over and over, but just like in the Penn fight it'll go away the first time he gets punched in the face.

Post #3   7/21/10 2:28:25AM   

icantthinkofanything

MMA Sensei

icantthinkofanything Avatar

Career:911-636
Camp: 360 Mafia
Chips:
I think Diego looked bad last fight, but Hathaway looked really good also. Diego's striking and gg won't hold up vs Thiago imo. should be an exciting fight.

Post #4   7/21/10 8:44:38AM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,363-1,248
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
I'll take Diego in this one. I'm still not drinking the Thiago Kool-Aid.

Post #5   7/21/10 9:12:13AM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,637-1,512
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by emfleek

this is exactly what i would have said before diego fought hathaway, but after seeing him look so sluggish and crappy in that fight i just dont know what to expect from him. the day of the weigh ins is going to be the day i can pick the winner, because if diego is soft i will not pick him.

as far as the thiago kool aid goes, im buying. sure he lost to kampmann, but theres no shame in that. thiago is a tough guy and he can hang with and beat the top tier guys at WW on any given day.

Last edited 7/21/10 9:28AM server time by cowcatcher
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #6   7/21/10 9:28:34AM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Chips:

Posted by cowcatcher

Posted by emfleek

this is exactly what i would have said before diego fought hathaway, but after seeing him look so sluggish and crappy in that fight i just dont know what to expect from him. the day of the weigh ins is going to be the day i can pick the winner, because if diego is soft i will not pick him.

I think we'll see a different Diego than we saw in the Hathaway fight. This will be his 2nd straight fight @ 170 so I don't think he'll look nearly as sluggish this time around.

I also read a quote from Diego about leaving Greg Jackson's camp. It made a lot of sense to me. It made me think he's going to come out guns blazing against Thiago. I'll see if I can find it.

EDIT: Here it is.

"Put yourself there for a minute. You’re an undefeated fighter coming off two of the biggest wins of your career (Parisyan/Riggs). Now they’re bringing in the champion of your weight class to train with your guys? For three months I was telling Greg that my heart wasn’t feeling it. Greg kept telling me “Trust me, trust me, you guys are going to make each other the best” but I kept feeling like their true intentions were to make me go down to 155. I mean most of the Jackson fighters cut a lot of weight and that’s not me. I wasn’t going to do it. I wasn’t bowing down to Georges St. Pierre. I ain’t riding nobody’s coattails. I’m Diego Sanchez and just because I had two decision losses - one while I was sick and one controversial to a top five welterweight - does not mean that I’m gonna give up on my dream, my dream to be welterweight champion. Maybe me and GSP will throw down in Albuquerque somewhere in the future. Dana told me there is going to be a show in Albuquerque. I don’t want to fight him unless it’s for the title. I want him for five rounds."

Last edited 7/21/10 9:36AM server time by emfleek
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #7   7/21/10 9:36:07AM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,615-1,389
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Crazy fight. No way diego loses 3 in a row.
Great fight. Hope the real diego shows up

Post #8   7/21/10 11:28:24AM   

sbulldavid

Heavyweight Champ

sbulldavid Avatar

Career:1,509-889
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
I think he was all muscle when he dropped to 170, then he cut a lot of muscle to get to 155. He jumped back to 170 and that was not quality muscle he put on, I saw a 185 pound fighter fighting a 155 pound fighter in the Hathaway fight. I think Diego is in for a tough fight, but I believe he has a good chin and he is the better fighter, I think I'll be picking Diego.

Post #9   7/21/10 11:40:13AM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,598-933
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I think Diego has been successful so far because of his aggression, mentality and pace. I think he's a good example of heart and will taking you places even when you lack the skills to get there the way most do. That said I think his time as a title threat (at any weight) is passing him by. If you can avoid being intimidated by him and keep him from setting the pace, his technical flaws shine through.

Paulo Thiago is tough as nails. He deals with things a lot scarier than Diego Sanchez on a regular basis. I expect that he will punish Diego and wouldn't be surprised to see a stoppage.

That said I won't count Diego out because his skill set is what Paulo seems to have trouble with. Paulo struggled against Martin and Fitch because they controlled him from the top (Diego's specialty.)

Post #10   7/21/10 2:22:03PM   

c-dub

Learning to Sprawl

c-dub Avatar

Career:111-81
Chips:
hopefully diego will pull out the win in this fight but u also cant count out thiago hope this one will b a good fight.

Post #11   7/21/10 2:33:13PM   

DosBox

MMA Regular

DosBox Avatar

Career:932-547
Chips:

Posted by emfleek

I think we'll see a different Diego than we saw in the Hathaway fight. This will be his 2nd straight fight @ 170 so I don't think he'll look nearly as sluggish this time around.

I also read a quote from Diego about leaving Greg Jackson's camp. It made a lot of sense to me. It made me think he's going to come out guns blazing against Thiago. I'll see if I can find it.

Hmm, I could have sworn Diego left Greg Jacksons a long time (2 years) ago.

But either way, I dont think Diego is near as polished on his feet as Martin Kampmann is, but I do like Diego's top game if he can get it there, his only real problem is he is a ferocious top game fighter but usually doesnt have the wrestling to get it there consistently (he constantly got stuffed by Luigi Fioravanti)

It will be a close one -a "diverse" striking assault by Diego Sanchez just narrowly defeated a boxer happy Joe Stevenson - Im leaning towards Thiago via decision but this could very well be a back and forth one with me.

Post #12   7/21/10 2:55:08PM   

BigIP

Standup Guy

BigIP Avatar

Career:43-35
Chips:
Is it true that Diego is back with the Jackson camp?

Post #13   7/21/10 2:58:18PM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Chips:

Posted by DosBox

Hmm, I could have sworn Diego left Greg Jacksons a long time (2 years) ago.

Actually, you're right. The quote was just an overdue explanation of why he left in the first place.

My bad!

Post #14   7/21/10 3:15:53PM   

DosBox

MMA Regular

DosBox Avatar

Career:932-547
Chips:

Posted by emfleek
Actually, you're right. The quote was just an overdue explanation of why he left in the first place.

My bad!

Cool, just making sure I I wasn't thinking of somebody else.

He was training at Xande Ribeiro's camp if I remember correctly, but recently moved to Albuquerque Kickboxing (I dont think its affiliated with Greg Jackson).

Diego needs more of a wrestling camp if he wants to get back in the title picture IMO. He's good in scrambles, etc but hasnt shown the ability to get it to the ground. I think a closer alternative would be Lion's Den in Arizona - he could train with good wrestlers like Ben Askren / Dollaway / SImpson / etc..

Post #15   7/21/10 3:37:24PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2