Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Rampage vs Machida expected in the fall

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,687-1,701
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
link
The match-up Dana White teased fans with a couple months ago now seems to be in the works. Former light heavyweight champions Lyoto Machida and Quinton "Rampage" Jackson are expected to meet at an as of yet unannounced event in the fall, possibly in November.

The fight was confirmed to MMAWeekly.com as being in the works by sources close to the bout, and Jackson himself posted on his Twitter account that he was issued a bout agreement for a fight and was about to sign it late Tuesday evening.

Post #1   7/21/10 12:22:05AM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,910-1,061
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
It finally happens!

I can see Rampage landing a counter if Machida goes for the kill, but i think the safe pick is Machida here.

Post #2   7/21/10 1:08:55AM   

mikeydawg

Learning to Sprawl

mikeydawg Avatar

Career:366-256
Chips:
I hate this match up... Rampage chases Machida around the ring for 15 minutes while Machida kicks the hell outta Rampages legs. I feel like Rampage should have been givin a "Warm Up" fight too... or just not Rashad then Machida... a Forrest rematch or Franklin, Lil Nog anyone besides the top contenders right in a row.

Post #3   7/21/10 2:45:02AM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Career:534-389
Chips:
Oh man, this fight really gets me excited. Great fight for Machida to get back in the title mix. LHW is really thinning itself out at the top unless they plan to push some of these very talented guys they have.

Post #4   7/21/10 3:57:14AM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,910-1,061
Chips:

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Oh man, this fight really gets me excited. Great fight for Machida to get back in the title mix. LHW is really thinning itself out at the top unless they plan to push some of these very talented guys they have.

I think thats what they're up to.

You have Forrest Griffin who can re-insert himself with some quality win, and a re-match with Rampage will always sell.
If Jon Jones wins, he's on the cusp of fighting the big 5.
Rich Franklin is seemingly always waiting for the opening.
Lil Nog has a chance to re-establish a top 5 spot.
and Thiago Silva has only lost to Champs, he could very well emerge in the top 5 again with just one big win.

Thats about 5 people that can fill up the Top seeds of the top ten if the current best start to slip off the radar.

But even if not, you have those 5 names that can re-establish someone like the loser of this bout into the top again.

I think LHW is going to work itself out for awhile.

Post #5   7/21/10 4:14:50AM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Career:534-389
Chips:

Posted by Pookie

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

I think thats what they're up to.

You have Forrest Griffin who can re-insert himself with some quality win, and a re-match with Rampage will always sell.
If Jon Jones wins, he's on the cusp of fighting the big 5.
Rich Franklin is seemingly always waiting for the opening.
Lil Nog has a chance to re-establish a top 5 spot.
and Thiago Silva has only lost to Champs, he could very well emerge in the top 5 again with just one big win.

Thats about 5 people that can fill up the Top seeds of the top ten if the current best start to slip off the radar.

But even if not, you have those 5 names that can re-establish someone like the loser of this bout into the top again.

I think LHW is going to work itself out for awhile.

I agree with you, Pookie. The talent is there, however, I just think that they're mismanaging it.

Post #6   7/21/10 4:28:23AM   

SamPan

Standup Guy

Career:1,093-662
Chips:
I don't like this fight, not because I don't think it'll be exciting. I do. But I think Rampage is a better fighter than an actor. If he gets tko'd, which i think he will, he might get demoralized and make an a-team sequel. That's what I'm afraid of.

Post #7   7/21/10 10:48:16AM   

BigIP

Standup Guy

BigIP Avatar

Career:43-35
Chips:
I don't like this fight either since it will eliminate one of these guys from title contention. I would have liked to see one of these guys fight Forrest and the other fight Franklin or the Bader Lil nog winner.

Post #8   7/21/10 11:25:54AM   

jlock003

Standup Guy

jlock003 Avatar

Career:543-400
Camp: MAYHEM MONKEYS!!!!!!
Chips:
Ummmm...Rampage vs Forrest all over again...just with less engaging. Machida will come out gun shy in this fight and jump in and out while kicking Rampage's leg. I like that two contenders are fighting, but I'd rather have seen Rashad/Machida 2 and let Rampage fight somebody like Thiago Silva or Forrest again. I mean I hope it goes well, but I feel like this will regenerate all of the Machida criticism. Time will tell.

Post #9   7/21/10 11:29:22AM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,530-1,341
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Curious to see what ufc is up too
2 events in oct. One free
Germany in nov. Now this. One. Should be in vegas 2 events in nov
And with dec 11. Might be another by year end. That is 2 more
Does the ufc think we have money to burn

Post #10   7/21/10 11:34:02AM   

sbulldavid

Heavyweight Champ

sbulldavid Avatar

Career:1,468-851
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
No way in hell is Rampage getting TKO'd by Machida. Rampage is a much better boxer than Rashad or Silva were. I don't see this ending good for Machida because he throws a lot of stuff with nothing on them. Machida has a better than average chance of taking the decision, but he's got to keep moving in and out and avoid the fancy stuff.

Post #11   7/21/10 11:49:48AM   

jlock003

Standup Guy

jlock003 Avatar

Career:543-400
Camp: MAYHEM MONKEYS!!!!!!
Chips:

Posted by sbulldavid

No way in hell is Rampage getting TKO'd by Machida. Rampage is a much better boxer than Rashad or Silva were. I don't see this ending good for Machida because he throws a lot of stuff with nothing on them. Machida has a better than average chance of taking the decision, but he's got to keep moving in and out and avoid the fancy stuff.

I don't think Rampage is a better boxer than Rashad at all. I think he hits harder, and uses the shoulder roll...but a better boxer? That being said he also has one of the better chins in all of mma. Does anybody remember how many knees he took from Wandy before he went out??? I think it was like 19 in a row or something insane like that. I really feel like this fight will either be boring as hell, or Rampage jumps in and lands a hook and puts Lyoto out. Either way I kinda feel like the fans lose. Machida is already being pressured by his dad to retire and another loss virtually drops him out of the title picture and if Rampage loses he won't have much insentive at all to keep fighting. Don't get me wrong I'll watch and I'll be excited, but I feel like this one could be dissapointing after the fact.

Post #12   7/21/10 12:28:14PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,566-910
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I've been calling for this fight since before Machida was considered a contender by most. I really think he's going to make Rampage look foolish.

Post #13   7/21/10 2:54:09PM   

ncordless

MODulation

ncordless Avatar

Career:1,916-1,093
Chips:
I like this fight and think it's an interesting clash of styles. Rampage has some excellent offensive and defensive boxing, but because he has molded his stance into such a flat-footed boxing stance he is always wide open for leg kicks. Machida has the best movement in the best movement in the division and has a point-fighters' accuracy.

Post #14   7/21/10 3:35:21PM   

c-dub

Learning to Sprawl

c-dub Avatar

Career:111-81
Chips:
if machida comes out and takes out rampages legs wit some kicks it could b a long nite 4 him. Hard 4 me 2 pic a side on this one.

Post #15   7/21/10 6:17:02PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2