Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Dustin Hazelett Enters Cage At UFC 117 Against Doctor's Orders

Print  
Posted By Message

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:
When Dustin Hazelett steps into the cage on Aug. 7 for his bout with Rick Story, "McLovin" will be doing so against his doctor's advice. But armed with an intense passion for fighting and a lack of a "Plan B," Hazelett says he can't wait to set foot in the octagon. Hazelett suffered a broken orbital bone in his January fight with Paul Daley, and the injury required some extensive recovery time. Hazelett said he adhered to all recommended guidelines and elected to remain patient as it healed. "There was a two-month suspension with no contact whatsoever," Hazelett said. "Basically, I couldn't do any type of actual training except for mitt-work and conditioning – no sparring or grappling or anything like that. Then there was a six-month suspension from fighting, so it was kind of a lengthy layoff there, but I really didn't want to rush back and end up re-fracturing it. "They said, 'If you rush back into sparring, and you get hit hard, it will end up fracturing again, and it will be even worse.' I wanted to give it time to make sure that it completely healed so that I wouldn't rush into a fight, get hurt, and I'd be off even longer. I wanted to make sure I was completely 100 percent coming back." The Nevada State Athletic Commission gave Hazelett the opportunity to return early with a doctor's clearance, but when the 24-year-old visited a professional line up by the UFC, he received some startling advice. "They sent me to a leading expert in my area, I guess, and he was not too keen on the idea of me coming back early," Hazelett said. "In fact, he refused to let me come back early, and he said, 'If you were my son, I would suggest you never fight again, obviously.'

Article

Post #1   7/20/10 1:03:30PM   

D0wnUnd6e6r

Don't Eat The Yellow Snow

D0wnUnd6e6r Avatar

Career:2,058-1,153
Chips:
1 word, heart

Post #2   7/20/10 1:12:42PM   

jlock003

Standup Guy

jlock003 Avatar

Career:543-400
Camp: MAYHEM MONKEYS!!!!!!
Chips:
Yeah he is showing a lot of heart, but Dana is gonna be pissed! I'm sure he won't be happy to hear one of his guys saying that he is ignoring a docs advice. I mean I agree with Hazelett's decision, but I can see where this interview won't be a good one for Dana and company. We'll see. I'm a big fan of this guy though, he's tough and has crazy subs.

Post #3   7/20/10 1:27:02PM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,327-1,229
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by jlock003

but Dana is gonna be pissed!

No chance. Dana will praise him more so now than ever before. He basically gets hard peter when guys fight injured.

Post #4   7/20/10 1:52:44PM   

Giant_Ochai

BANNED

Career:433-278
Chips:

Posted by jlock003

Yeah he is showing a lot of heart, but Dana is gonna be pissed! I'm sure he won't be happy to hear one of his guys saying that he is ignoring a docs advice. I mean I agree with Hazelett's decision, but I can see where this interview won't be a good one for Dana and company. We'll see. I'm a big fan of this guy though, he's tough and has crazy subs.

If there was a big enough issue with him fighting he wouldn't be. I won't feel bad though if his career is ended because he ignored advice from a doctor.

Post #5   7/20/10 1:52:50PM   

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:

Posted by jlock003

That's the thing-it's just advice, not an order. He's already been cleared to fight so it's really his choice. And besides, he also wants to show Dana that, in White's words, he wants to be a f***ing fighter.

Last edited 7/20/10 2:05PM server time by DCRage
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #6   7/20/10 2:05:38PM   

BigIP

Standup Guy

BigIP Avatar

Career:43-35
Chips:
Doctors are usually overly cautious to prevent malpractice lawsuits.

Post #7   7/20/10 2:15:11PM   

icantthinkofanything

MMA Sensei

icantthinkofanything Avatar

Career:911-636
Camp: 360 Mafia
Chips:
Lets hope Hazlett never stands with anyone like Daley again. Broken bones take time to heal. I think the longer he waits to fight the more it will heal and be less likely to be reinjured. Dustin has mad heart and is great at bjj. He should improve his takedowns and not try to stand with anyone who has ko power. It is the same with any good grappler, take it to the ground asap. Dustin has decent striking, but , his black belt and unique submissions will get him wins and keep him around imo.

Post #8   7/20/10 2:53:19PM   

Playground_Samurai

I EAT POOP

Playground_Samurai Avatar

Career:2,359-1,249
Camp: Hand Grenade Hillbillies
Chips:
Dustin is very entertaining to watch in the cage so I hope he is around for a long time. I'm sure nobody want to see him sustain a bad, maybe career ending, injury. This upcoming fight should be pretty awesome. Story is a dog. He brings it every fight and will give Dustin every thing and possilby more than he can handle. Dustin is a wizard on the ground. Just straight up slick. That being said, Storys strength is his wrestling. Once he takes it to the mat, i'm sure it will only be a matter of time before Hazelett works his wizardry and pulls off a sick sub.

Post #9   7/20/10 3:24:50PM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,687-1,701
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Story's GNP had better be on point or he is going to get subbed!

Post #10   7/20/10 11:47:30PM   

c-dub

Learning to Sprawl

c-dub Avatar

Career:111-81
Chips:
dusty has alot of heart i think he has some of the best bjj in the sport. Im from louisa,ky myself and have known dusty all his life. He has had a hard road and a stint of bad luck here lately wit the semtex fight and the injuries. i think he just wants 2 get back in the cage and get a couple of wins under his belt and show people that he really does belong in the upper ranks in the 170 div. rick story is a beast but i think dusty will come out the victor in this one.

Post #11   7/21/10 1:40:04PM