Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

It's Official: Jake Shields to UFC

Print  
  Page 2 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,304-1,218
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Can someone please explain to me why Fitch is regarded as this MASSIVELY impressive grappler. The dude SUCKED at Purdue. He didn't post a winning record until his junior year. Even then. he only went 11-8. Not exactly stellar. I HATE Koscheck, but Fitch is nowhere near Koscheck's wrestling. I understand that Fitch has improved. He's got great MMA wrestling, I just think he's still behind those that had a much more lucrative collegiate career.

I think you answered your own question. We're talking about MMA (where Fitch *has* been successful) and not college (where he wasn't too impressive).

Post #16   7/20/10 8:49:59AM   

ThugAngel

Learning to Sprawl

ThugAngel Avatar

Career:357-264
Chips:
I remember Jason "Mayhem" Miller almost choking Jake out when they last fought, do any of you's think he'll get lucky again if he was in that position with a top UFC fighter?

Post #17   7/20/10 10:02:46AM   

icantthinkofanything

MMA Sensei

icantthinkofanything Avatar

Career:911-636
Camp: 360 Mafia
Chips:

Posted by ThugAngel

I remember Jason "Mayhem" Miller almost choking Jake out when they last fought, do any of you's think he'll get lucky again if he was in that position with a top UFC fighter?

yes. Unless it is BJ Penn or Maia. Most fighters have good rnc defense these days especially Jake.

I think he can beat Kampman, by ud, unless he gets sloppy and caught in a guillitine. Martin had good takedown defense vs a great fighter in Thiago, but Thiago is more of a bjj-judo guy, his takedowns are not the same as Jake's. Jake catches takedowns off of a guys sprawl, which got Hendo trapped. Jake will problly fight Martin, but get to skip over the big 3 contenders and get a hyped up GSP fight. GSP is so humble, people don't relize how much better he is than everyone, but he will make Jake look ameture imo.

Post #18   7/20/10 11:05:01AM   

noahgenda

Standup Guy

noahgenda Avatar

Career:315-179
Chips:
he really really really needs to learn how to punch harder. im out of shape and i honestly believe i have more powerful ground and pound than jake shields

Post #19   7/20/10 2:53:15PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Career:534-389
Chips:

Posted by emfleek

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Can someone please explain to me why Fitch is regarded as this MASSIVELY impressive grappler. The dude SUCKED at Purdue. He didn't post a winning record until his junior year. Even then. he only went 11-8. Not exactly stellar. I HATE Koscheck, but Fitch is nowhere near Koscheck's wrestling. I understand that Fitch has improved. He's got great MMA wrestling, I just think he's still behind those that had a much more lucrative collegiate career.

I think you answered your own question. We're talking about MMA (where Fitch *has* been successful) and not college (where he wasn't too impressive).

I guess I kind of did, but what I really meant to ask is why do people hold Fitch on this mountain of a pedestal?

IMO, the WW division is the weakest division in the UFC. Fitch is just number 2 in a pretty bad division. Not to mention he's a CLEAR number 2. GSP is light years ahead of Fitch.

Post #20   7/20/10 3:18:05PM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,304-1,218
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

I guess I kind of did, but what I really meant to ask is why do people hold Fitch on this mountain of a pedestal?

I'm a self-proclaimed nuthugger based on the fact that he's representin' Fort Wayne.

I think a lot of the respect, amongst other fans, stems from the GSP fight and the asswhoopin that he took without being finished.

Last edited 7/20/10 4:11PM server time by emfleek
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #21   7/20/10 3:44:19PM   

1daveufc

Standup Guy

1daveufc Avatar

Career:612-433
Camp: East Coast Pitbulls
Chips:

Posted by Bowen50

Did everyone forget the fight with Henderson that fast? I am by no means a Jake Shields fan but he earned my respect in that fight. He absolutely man handled Henderson who is an olympic level wrestler. Standing, yes Kampmann has a good chance but the second this fight touches that mat it's over.

Jake dominated hendo on the ground and took some big punchs from him to and dan hits a lot harder than martin does.A dont see shields being beat off martin a see Jake taking him down and either winning by UD or a late sub.

Post #22   7/20/10 4:37:49PM   

decken

Standup Guy

decken Avatar

Career:471-314
Chips:

IMO, the WW division is the weakest division in the UFC. Fitch is just number 2 in a pretty bad division. Not to mention he's a CLEAR number 2. GSP is light years ahead of Fitch.

I have always seen the WW division as one of the strongest divisions in the UFC. When you have people like BJ Penn and Matt Hughs are getting manhandled by the top guys I do not see how you could consider it a weak division.

Also as of right now I think the only weak division is middle weight. The heavy weight is a little shallow but improving fast.

Post #23   7/20/10 8:33:40PM   

rcg916

He's Back...

rcg916 Avatar

Career:523-269
Chips:
I do know for a fact that he has been working like crazy on his Thai Boxing. I sat in on a sparring session with he and Gilbert Melendez, and you could clearly tell that he was working body kicks and clinchwork.

Last edited 7/20/10 11:57PM server time by rcg916

Post #24   7/20/10 11:54:42PM   

jlock003

Standup Guy

jlock003 Avatar

Career:522-387
Camp: MAYHEM MONKEYS!!!!!!
Chips:
I'm just gonna throw this out there....I think that the reason that SOME people feel like the Welterweight and Middleweight divisions are week, is two of the biggest studs in the game reside in those weight classes. GSP makes top contenders like Alvez, Fitch, Kos, Penn, Hughes look like amatures as does Silva guys like Marquardt, Hendo, and Franklin. It's not that those divisions are weak anymore than the Heavyweights in Pride were weak when Fedor was murdering everybody. It's just that those guys look terrible in comparison. Shields is a good fighter without finishing power on the ground which really sucks b/c he has amazing wrestling and gets in dominant positions. I was a complete hater until I went to the Nashville SF card and saw the way he recovered early and then completely controlled Hendo. If I remember correctly though Rampage smothered Hendo too (I realize Rampage is a ton heavier than Shields) but I feel like it's been done before. Now had Hendo rolled over and left his chin up...Shields would have sank in the rnc in a flash, but the GnP that Shields showed was frustrating from the stands. It seemed like no matter how many times he hit Henderson that he couldn't hurt him. The only thing that is keeping Shields at the top of the rankings right now is that he has evolved tremendously since his last loss and nobody really knows how to beat the guy. It will be interesting to see how he stakcs up against top notch strkers with knee intercepts and things along those lines. I'm not a hater anymore, but I'm still not a believer.

Post #25   7/21/10 11:53:32AM   

c-dub

Learning to Sprawl

c-dub Avatar

Career:111-81
Chips:
i think jake is a fighter that will shake up the 170 div but it is also very stacked. i think people r jumpin the gun a lil sayin he is goin 2 b the new champ. if he does beat martin we will c how he takes the climb up the ladder in the div. altho he did beat hendo got 2 give him props 4 that win the ladder in the 170 div is a hard one 2 climb only time will tell and we will c how he really does in a division full of lions not just a few like in strikeforce.

Post #26   7/21/10 2:19:56PM   

c-dub

Learning to Sprawl

c-dub Avatar

Career:111-81
Chips:
i really hope he is workin on his boxing and clinch work because he dont need any on his bjj 2 make it in the UFC and b a champ u need 2 be good in all aspects of the game cant wait 2 c how he makes a run in the division.

Post #27   7/21/10 2:24:55PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,543-899
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by 1daveufc
beat off martin

Strangest prediction I've seen yet.

Last edited 7/21/10 4:33PM server time by bjj1605