Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

What does "Natural Body Weight" mean?

Print  
Posted By Message

evilintentionsclown

Learning to Sprawl

Career:-
Chips:
I'm into sports, lifting weights, mixed martial arts, etc. and the term "natural weight" comes up a lot. Just wondering if anyone can explain someones natural body weight to me. My current idea is how much you weigh just walking around in your daily life and not working out. Like I can naturally stay around 225 right now without working out, pretty much no matter what I eat, but If I were to start working out and dieting right I could drop down around 185-190. It wouldn't be natural thought because I would have to keep dieting and exercising to maintain the weight. Thanks in advance.

Post #1   7/17/10 4:03:53AM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:
You natural body weight, in my opinion, is your stable weight that you can maintain with light to moderate physical activity and a balanced diet with an average caloric intake.

And yes you are correct, if you maintain a body weight only by strict diet or much higher than average fitness participation, then that would not be your natural body weight. This includes both muscle and fat.

I have around three body weights that I define for myself.

1) My ultra active body weight -<155-160 lbs
2) my active body weight - 165 lbs
3) my natural body weight - 170-175 lbs

Of course your natural body weight will vary with age.

Post #2   7/17/10 1:17:30PM   

xenophon

Learning to Sprawl

xenophon Avatar

Career:2,785-1,551
Chips:
There seems to often be a difference between sport weight and healthy weight. Healthy weight is when you are eating and exercising well and regularly. Sport weight is your weight to compete

Take football for instance, many offensive linemen pack on extra weight to play more effectively. Often they would be more healthy at a drastically lower weight. Linemen at the upper levels are up to 100 lbs over their optimal healthy weight, like a sumo wrestler. In (combat) sports where making weight is important, it often has to do with taking weight off. Getting into a sauna to cut water weight is not healthy, nor would competing before re-hydrating. Part of many training camps is working down closer to the proper weight. This comes from diet and lots of exercise. Runners don't try to cut water weight but to lose fat to be light.

Odd note: The arbitrary weight numbers are not necessarily accurate. I read the book, The Diet Myth, and one of the chapters was on BMI and noted that the top marathoner in America and Marshall Faulk while he was a pro-bowl running back in the NFL were underweight and obese by the chart.

Post #3   10/10/10 7:11:36AM