Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Ken Shamrock Doesn't Want To "Play God" In The Great Steroids Debate

Print  
Posted By Message

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:
So he says, while also perhaps drawing a few comparisions to himself because he thinks certain guys (namely a certain Overeem) are being singled out because they look so big. "Does anyone have the right to point one finger at one person? When I think everyone has a pretty good handle on how many people are actually doing it, that you're going to single out one person, one person that someone wants to pick on because he looks extremely bigger than everyone else. So you're going to point that finger and single that person out because he looks freakish? But, there's many, many, many people that are doing it. What is fair about that? Why do we have the right to pick an individual out and ruin his life? Because [Georges St. Pierre is] not 260 pounds or 240 pounds, but he's an extremely big 170 pounder. But because he's not this mammoth, he's safe. I'm not saying he is or he isn't, but what if he is? And he's extremely ripped and extremely muscular and he's put on 10 pounds of solid muscle since he's been in the UFC? And he's doing just as much as Overeem's doing? But yet, because he's a smaller fighter, we tag Overeem. What gives us that power to single out an individual and ruin that person's life? Nobody. Just because we think that he's doing something. And it's quite possibly that he is. But what makes him the person we want to be the poster child? What gives us the right to single out one individual and say, 'you know what? you're worse than this guy because you look better. Because you're better.' To me that doesn't make sense man. We're trying to play God."

Article

Post #1   7/16/10 12:29:00PM   

PABLOMAFIOSO

In Full Mount

PABLOMAFIOSO Avatar

Career:979-657
Chips:
"What gives us that power to single out an individual and ruin that person's life? Nobody."
That's great use of the English language.
I don't get why Shamrock feels the need to defend Overeem here

Post #2   7/16/10 3:51:10PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,543-899
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
man that's one long winded, repetitive, and rambling statement. can't say I agree with him either. People are going to speculate (and people HAVE questioned GSP). only way to prove them wrong is to test clean your whole career. its unfortunate, but sometimes clean guys with good genetics go under the microscope.

does anyone else see this as ken all but admitting to using roids?

Post #3   7/16/10 4:12:13PM   

BMF

MMA Regular

Career:1,926-1,382
Chips:
He has already admitted to using in the past.

Post #4   7/16/10 4:42:01PM   

RyanC

MMA Sensei

RyanC Avatar

Career:472-317
Camp: Journalistas
Chips:

Posted by BMF

He has already admitted to using in the past.

He tested positive for using them.

Post #5   7/16/10 5:06:44PM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,494-876
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
As i've said before,personaly I could care less who uses them and who doesn't.

I don't think anyone should be unjustly accoused of steroid use,yet I also don't believe those who have tested posted should be crucified for it either.

Post #6   7/16/10 6:57:05PM   

jlock003

Standup Guy

jlock003 Avatar

Career:522-387
Camp: MAYHEM MONKEYS!!!!!!
Chips:
I feel like he has a point. Yes GSP has been accused, but nowhere near to the same level as Overeem (self-included). I'm at the point now where I really just assume to allow the damn things and regulate them more adequately. Professional athletes take all kinds of human growth hormones and suplimentation. Sherk and Barnett still swear that they were never on roids and yet they have both failed drug tests. Both of those fighters as well as countless others have made the claim that their personal test failures were a direct result of contents in their supliments. I realize it's a good excuse if you need a way out, but perhaps there is some truth to it. I realize that we don't want guys experiencing roid rage and things along those lines, but I'm worn out on the roid argument. Make the things legal and monitor the hell out of it.

Post #7   7/16/10 7:17:17PM   

wrona666

In Full Mount

wrona666 Avatar

Career:1,102-674
Chips:
The difference with Overeem and Gsp is that Gsp has always looked the same as far as his body type, but Overeem within the last couple years has just gotten huge.........im not one to say if he is using or not, but it definately raises my suspisions........

Post #8   7/16/10 8:10:40PM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,494-876
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:

Posted by jlock003

I feel like he has a point. Yes GSP has been accused, but nowhere near to the same level as Overeem (self-included). I'm at the point now where I really just assume to allow the damn things and regulate them more adequately. Professional athletes take all kinds of human growth hormones and suplimentation. Sherk and Barnett still swear that they were never on roids and yet they have both failed drug tests. Both of those fighters as well as countless others have made the claim that their personal test failures were a direct result of contents in their supliments. I realize it's a good excuse if you need a way out, but perhaps there is some truth to it. I realize that we don't want guys experiencing roid rage and things along those lines, but I'm worn out on the roid argument. Make the things legal and monitor the hell out of it.

Bingo!

I think it's also of some merit to note that one supplement Sherk was taking (it was a xience product) was taken off the market because traces of a banned substance where found in it.

Post #9   7/16/10 8:15:29PM