Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Danzig Appeals UFC 115 Loss

Print  
Posted By Message

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:
Following a controversial stoppage at UFC 115, Mac Danzig and his management team have filed an appeal with the Vancouver Athletic Commission to have the loss to Matt Wiman overturned to a no contest. It was first reported by BJPenn.com and subsequently confirmed by Danzig. During the first round of their lightweight match-up, Wiman caught Danzig in a guillotine choke. It appeared deep at first, but a close-up from the overhead camera showed that one side of Danzig's neck was completely exposed, so he was still breathing and at that point not in danger of being choked out. As Danzig was pushing off a leg to try and maneuver his way out, referee Yves Lavigne appeared to hear Wiman say he thought his opponent was unconscious. A brief touch of the glove and he stopped the fight. Danzig bounced up immediately, confused about why the fight was stopped. Either way, they'll rematch at UFN 22.

Article

Post #1   7/16/10 9:40:46AM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:
I asked if this should or could happen and everyone seemed to think their was no chance using the Ryan Thomas Ben askrin as the templet. But IMO the Danzig one was so much worse. I hope they over turn this if for no other reason a ref needs to find out for himself if the fighter is out and if he can't then he shouldn't be refing. If not it will lead to every fighter hooking up a choke and quickly saying I think he out in an attempt to get a cheap win.

Post #2   7/16/10 10:06:18AM   

tmas

Belt Contender

tmas Avatar

Career:1,078-848
Chips:

Posted by postman

I asked if this should or could happen and everyone seemed to think their was no chance using the Ryan Thomas Ben askrin as the templet. But IMO the Danzig one was so much worse. I hope they over turn this if for no other reason a ref needs to find out for himself if the fighter is out and if he can't then he shouldn't be refing. If not it will lead to every fighter hooking up a choke and quickly saying I think he out in an attempt to get a cheap win.

uh im a fighter and i wouldnt want a cheap win, there are many many others most infact that wouldnt.....but some would and yes i get your point.... just dont say every fighter lol

Post #3   7/16/10 10:25:15AM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:

Posted by tmas

Posted by postman

uh im a fighter and i wouldnt want a cheap win, there are many many others most infact that wouldnt.....but some would and yes i get your point.... just dont say every fighter lol

True I shouldn't have said it that way as I am a fighter as well and hope I wouldn't do that

Post #4   7/16/10 11:06:57AM   

jlock003

Standup Guy

jlock003 Avatar

Career:522-387
Camp: MAYHEM MONKEYS!!!!!!
Chips:
That fight was the worst stoppage I have probably ever seen. Granted I have never stood in Yves' shoes, but that one was bad. I couldn't help but feel like Herb wouldn't have stopped that fight or most other refs. I kinda feel like it was just an off night for the ref, but I'm hoping they will change it to a NC. Wiman was cool about it though. I mean I've seen fights before when the fighter tells the ref that the opponent is out and he actually is, it just happened to be obvious to the viewer and Joe Rogan that Danzig wasn't. At least they set up the immediate rematch for October. Hopefully somebody different will ref the fight.

Post #5   7/16/10 11:13:21AM   

CCPRIDE99

Standup Guy

CCPRIDE99 Avatar

Career:1,224-710
Chips:
im a fighter too and ill take a cheap win any day
haha but in all seriousness its not gonna happen. the only way to get a loss overturned is to prove that the other guy brought a gun to the cage and shot you. but that still might not be enough

Post #6   7/16/10 11:15:01AM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
Yeah I like this appeal better than the Mcsweeney appeal.

Post #7   7/16/10 11:35:37AM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,533-897
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
It's a good appeal and should be overturned but the don't seem to like changing the outcomes, even if it's for a good reason.

I doubt this goes anywhere.

Post #8   7/16/10 12:31:57PM   

BustedKnuckle

MMA Sensei

BustedKnuckle Avatar

Career:659-381
Chips:
The commision will most likly do nothing!? It makes the refs llok bad, which in turn throws a negative light on the sport. Not going top happen

Post #9   7/16/10 1:49:58PM   

telnights

MODesty

telnights Avatar

Career:1,376-760
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
He has good reason to appeal but we all know they most likely will not over turn it. Commissions don't like to over turn fights because it makes them look like they made a mistake. All you have to do is look at Anthony Johnson's appeal that was turned down from the 1st Burns fight.

Post #10   7/16/10 3:47:11PM   

BigIP

Standup Guy

BigIP Avatar

Career:43-35
Chips:
Remember back in the day when Sgt. Slaughter would get someone in the sleeper hold and the ref would raise the guys arm and then let go to make sure it went limp? Perhaps Yves could learn a thing or two from those WWF refs. LOL

Post #11   7/16/10 5:29:27PM   

isk

In Full Mount

isk Avatar

Career:-
Chips:
Normally I don't agree with decision appeals but this is one I can get behind - not only because of the stoppage itself but because of the way Danzig has presented himself throughout the situation. He's not whining, he's not being a dick, he just got the bad end of a worse call which should be looked into.

Post #12   7/16/10 6:34:26PM