Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Jon Jones: You Heavyweights Gotta Watch Out

Print  
Posted By Message

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:
It's been nearly two years since UFC light heavyweight contender Jon Jones first burst on the national scene, and the New Yorker's rise to prominence has been nothing short of astronomical. Just four fights into his UFC run, many mixed martial arts fans are already calling for a light heavyweight title shot. But as Jones prepares for a showdown with veteran grinder Vladimir Matyushenko at August's UFC on Versus 2 event, the soon-to-be-23-year-old told the crew of ESPN's "MMA Live" that he's not necessarily just focused on a 205-pound title. "Bones" might eventually go up to heavyweight, too. "This training camp has been really tough for me, actually," Jones said on the most recent episode of "MMA Live." "I got up to about 231 (pounds) for the first time, and I'll be 23 on Monday. I feel as if I'm growing into a more adult body.
"Who knows what the future holds for me. I'm always training hard, and I'm going to start to focus more on weightlifting in my off-time. You heavyweights gotta watch out because you never know what's going to happen."

Article

Post #1   7/16/10 9:34:28AM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Career:534-389
Chips:
When did this trend of athletes saying "looking out X division (other than my own), I'm coming" start? I mean, I'd be just as excited to see him at HW as the next person, but he hasn't even gotten a top contender at LHW, let's chill on the HW talk, Bones. Even if you are talking about years into the future.

Last edited 7/16/10 10:21AM server time by blueskiesburn
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #2   7/16/10 10:20:56AM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:
He's not going to throw today's heavyweights around like he gets away with throwing LHW's around. Let him go ahead and try to toss someone like Brock Lesnar, lol.

That being said he'll be super fast for a heavyweight. So that could cause some probs

Post #3   7/16/10 10:38:52AM   

icantthinkofanything

MMA Sensei

icantthinkofanything Avatar

Career:911-636
Camp: 360 Mafia
Chips:
He could be the Rashad of the HW's -Talented fast and good wretsling can out due bigger slower guys, but... I would not even talk about the HW division, unless he is planning to move up before he becomes number 1 contender at LHW. Maybe if Rashad beats Rua, Jon will move up imediately???
No one should overlook Vlad. Stylistically it is a step up for Jones to fight a grinder imo, and talking about other belts may mean he is looking past Vlad.

Post #4   7/16/10 10:51:05AM   

RyanC

MMA Sensei

RyanC Avatar

Career:472-317
Camp: Journalistas
Chips:

Posted by icantthinkofanything

He could be the Rashad of the HW's -Talented fast and good wretsling can out due bigger slower guys, but... I would not even talk about the HW division, unless he is planning to move up before he becomes number 1 contender at LHW. Maybe if Rashad beats Rua, Jon will move up imediately???
No one should overlook Vlad. Stylistically it is a step up for Jones to fight a grinder imo, and talking about other belts may mean he is looking past Vlad.

I didn't see the interview so I'm speculating here, but I'm guessing Jones' comments were in response to some line of questioning. I doubt with his personality and his camp that he is looking past anyone.

Post #5   7/16/10 10:55:22AM   

BigIP

Standup Guy

BigIP Avatar

Career:43-35
Chips:

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

When did this trend of athletes saying "looking out X division (other than my own), I'm coming" start? I mean, I'd be just as excited to see him at HW as the next person, but he hasn't even gotten a top contender at LHW, let's chill on the HW talk, Bones. Even if you are talking about years into the future.

I don't think he's saying he wants to move to HW because of arrogance. It's sounds like he is still growing and is having trouble making 205LB.

Post #6   7/16/10 10:56:19AM   

jlock003

Standup Guy

jlock003 Avatar

Career:522-387
Camp: MAYHEM MONKEYS!!!!!!
Chips:
I mean the guy is 6'4 and he will be 23 in like 3 days. He won't even have his full frame til he's like 25. If he is weighing 235 now while he is working out then with some additional lifting I could see him getting up to the 250 range being pretty solid. The question obviously that comes with that is how much speed will he lose, but I could see it happening. I agree that I don't think the comment was made in arrogance, and that it was probably a product of the interviewer and some creative media perception. Jones has always been a classy guy even aftert the DQ to Hamill who in reality probably didn't continue b/c of the broken arm and the ass beating he took way prior to the 12-6 elbow. I'm a big Jones fan. The Vlad fight will be interesting. He is one of those guys who is under the radar, but the guy is the real deal. I feel like the age will catch up with him in this one and Bones will finish him, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Vlad push Jones harder than he normally is. Matyushenko has only lost once in the past 5 years and that was to little Nog. The guy is good, but I think the Eliot Marshall fight showed some weaknesses that Jones will capitalize on and with the Arlovski ko loss and the Nog ko loss I just think Jones has some dangerous tools against Vlad. That being said I feel like if he tried to belly to back Brock he would rupture his spleen and break 3 ribs.

Post #7   7/16/10 11:30:26AM   

sbulldavid

Heavyweight Champ

sbulldavid Avatar

Career:1,378-801
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
I'm sure Jones said it in a playful way, I don't think he was calling anybody out, or boasting. I think his future will be at Heavyweight, he would not have any problem moving up with his frame and current physique.

Post #8   7/16/10 11:55:49AM   

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Probably with Couture.

Post #9   7/16/10 12:19:40PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Career:534-389
Chips:

Posted by BigIP

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

I don't think he's saying he wants to move to HW because of arrogance. It's sounds like he is still growing and is having trouble making 205LB.

I know he was saying it in a "When I Grow Up" sort of way. I'm just saying, what's the point? Focus on your division right now, why even bother speculating about the future?

Post #10   7/16/10 12:29:20PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,500-882
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I hope he keeps the weight off and tries to stay at 205. He's a very talented fighter. He's a tall. But he doesn't have the kind of frame that Brock Lesnar or Shane Carwin do. He might be able to win fights at HW but it would a different fight than he's used to. Like Jackelope said he wouldn't be able to throw guys around anymore and he'd have to stick and move and use a lot more misdirection to get any takedowns.

If he's 230+ right now that just tells me he needs to diet.

Some time down the road he might not be able to make 205 anymore. Like so many have said I understand that his body is still growing and he's going to fill out. He still won't be as big as some of these HW's. I think if he is forced to fight at HW it will be then end of his career as a contender.

Post #11   7/16/10 12:29:40PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,849-1,024
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Jon jones still has like 6 years of man strength to acquire, Im pretty sure that he'll have to move up to HW eventually, or else he'll just kill his cardio.

Its the overeem theory, When your frame is that big naturally you have to stop weight training or else you'll grow past what you can cut. But still, at 230 you have a **** ton to cut before a fight reducing your energy more come fight night.

I bet when he makes the move to HW that he'll beef up to 245 without effort.

Post #12   7/16/10 3:32:53PM   

ncordless

MODulation

ncordless Avatar

Career:1,853-1,062
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
His brother is a DT at Syracuse and has been drafted by the Ravens. He is an inch shorter and tips in at 300+lbs. I am pretty sure Jon will fight at HW eventually, and will be a force there.

Last edited 7/16/10 6:30PM server time by ncordless
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #13   7/16/10 6:28:18PM   

seanfu

BANNED

seanfu Avatar

Career:233-122
Chips:
Jon would end up like a more talented Arlovski, Arlovski just isn't big enough and his chin wont allow his speed to compensate.

He isn't big enough in the ways he would need to be. At least I don't think so. Maybe I would be wrong.

Also his style has shined through a lot because of his physical attributes, without being superior in every ways physically his style would have to change.

Honestly the guy reminds me of Fedor a bit from the really fast transitions and killer instinct.

Post #14   7/16/10 8:53:00PM