Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

GSP, Edgar Come Up Short At 2010 ESPYs

Print  
Posted By Message

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:
Well, there's always next year. UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre and lightweight title holder Frankie Edgar each fell short in their bids to win a 2010 ESPY Award at ESPN's annual awards ceremony. St-Pierre was nominated in the "Best Fighter" category, while Edgar's UFC 112 win over former champion B.J. Penn was up for an award as the year's "Best Upset." The results of the awards were announced on Wednesday night during a live ESPN broadcast. St-Pierre lost out to boxing great Floyd Mayweather, who is now a three-time winner in the category. Edgar lost to Northern Iowa's NCAA basketball tournament upset of No. 1-seeded Kansas.

Article

Post #1   7/15/10 6:29:49AM   

lohmann

A Black Belt in Jiu-Jitsu

lohmann Avatar

Career:1,611-877
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Those awards are voted on by fans, and while I like the democratic nature of the contest, I tend not trust those types of awards. Floyd Mayweather is the most recognizable name on the list, in large part to the amount of press he receives, therefore he will win that award as long as he is nominated for it.

Manny Pacquiao has had a better year than Floyd Mayweather (and so has Georges St. Pierre).

Last edited 7/15/10 7:45AM server time by lohmann
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #2   7/15/10 7:43:25AM   

jlock003

Standup Guy

jlock003 Avatar

Career:518-379
Camp: MAYHEM MONKEYS!!!!!!
Chips:

Posted by lohmann

Those awards are voted on by fans, and while I like the democratic nature of the contest, I tend not trust those types of awards. Floyd Mayweather is the most recognizable name on the list, in large part to the amount of press he receives, therefore he will win that award as long as he is nominated for it.

Manny Pacquiao has had a better year than Floyd Mayweather (and so has Georges St. Pierre).

I agree, I don't necessarily think GSP should have won the award, but if it was going to be a boxer who won it should have been Pacquiao. I personally agree that GSP had a better year than Mayweather, but the wins of Marques and Mosley were decent wins just not top wins for a guy like mayweather.

Post #3   7/15/10 8:14:40AM   

BigIP

Standup Guy

BigIP Avatar

Career:43-35
Chips:

Posted by lohmann

Actually Pacquiao won the award last year.

Post #4   7/15/10 10:33:22AM   

lohmann

A Black Belt in Jiu-Jitsu

lohmann Avatar

Career:1,611-877
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by BigIP

Posted by lohmann

Actually Pacquiao won the award last year.

Mayweather wasn't nominated last year. He was "retired" in 2008.

Post #5   7/15/10 6:08:13PM