Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Rev. Jesse Jackson Rips Gilbert's LeBron Comments

Print  
  Page 2 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

RyanC

MMA Sensei

RyanC Avatar

Career:472-317
Camp: Journalistas
Chips:

Posted by FlashyG

Posted by RyanC

There are no rules prohibiting players from talking to one another while they are under contract. As long as the Miami Heat had nothing to do with the collusion they are perfectly safe. Wade, James, and Bosh could have been having conversations since the day they were drafted about trying to do this and there is nothing that anyone can do about it.

Bang on, although I think what Cuban is arguing is that nobody can tell if Wade was operating as a representative of the Heat. They can talk about joining each other when they're out of contract but they enter a grey area when they start talking about joining a specific team (especially when one of them is the franchise player of the team in question)

I think what Cuban wants is for the rules to be clear one way or the other so we don't end up in a situation like this again.

I don't really think Cuban is wrong in wanting that. It will be very hard for anyone to prove that Wade was acting in the interest of the Heat when he was going to free agency himself, and shopping himself around as well. It just turned out that the Heat was where the 3 of them were able to go because of the cap space. I don't have any problem with what the 3 of them did, but I can understand why the owners would not like this one bit.

Post #16   7/12/10 2:26:40PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Career:534-389
Chips:

Posted by RyanC

Posted by FlashyG

Posted by RyanC

There are no rules prohibiting players from talking to one another while they are under contract. As long as the Miami Heat had nothing to do with the collusion they are perfectly safe. Wade, James, and Bosh could have been having conversations since the day they were drafted about trying to do this and there is nothing that anyone can do about it.

Bang on, although I think what Cuban is arguing is that nobody can tell if Wade was operating as a representative of the Heat. They can talk about joining each other when they're out of contract but they enter a grey area when they start talking about joining a specific team (especially when one of them is the franchise player of the team in question)

I think what Cuban wants is for the rules to be clear one way or the other so we don't end up in a situation like this again.

I don't really think Cuban is wrong in wanting that. It will be very hard for anyone to prove that Wade was acting in the interest of the Heat when he was going to free agency himself, and shopping himself around as well. It just turned out that the Heat was where the 3 of them were able to go because of the cap space. I don't have any problem with what the 3 of them did, but I can understand why the owners would not like this one bit.

I think at the end of the day, however, it's unclear that Wade was EVER going anywhere to begin with. Sure, he was shopping himself around, but nobody EVER believed he was signing with anyone other than the Heat. He just wanted to see what Bosh and LeBron were going to do. Once Bosh got onboard Wade's decision was pretty clear. I think, and again, this is just my opinion, that Wade ONLY asked for that second meeting with Chicago as a fall back option in case Miami was unable to court Bosh or LeBron. Chicago gave him the best chance to win NOW, but I don't believe he was ever leaving.

Post #17   7/12/10 2:45:43PM   

RyanC

MMA Sensei

RyanC Avatar

Chips:

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn
I think at the end of the day, however, it's unclear that Wade was EVER going anywhere to begin with. Sure, he was shopping himself around, but nobody EVER believed he was signing with anyone other than the Heat. He just wanted to see what Bosh and LeBron were going to do. Once Bosh got onboard Wade's decision was pretty clear. I think, and again, this is just my opinion, that Wade ONLY asked for that second meeting with Chicago as a fall back option in case Miami was unable to court Bosh or LeBron. Chicago gave him the best chance to win NOW, but I don't believe he was ever leaving.

You are probably 100% correct. I never believed he was leaving unless he decided that he wanted to be near his children in Chicago.

Post #18   7/12/10 2:54:05PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Chips:
That's where the murkiness of this situation comes into play. If Wade NEVER planned on leaving, then he WAS acting as an agent for the Heat and it would be tampering. Short of any of them admitting it, this will never be proven, though. He, LeBron, and Bosh will just be convicted in the court of public opinion.

This just furthers the likelihood of a lockout next season. The players aren't going to want to give this up and owners like Cuban and Gilbert are going to be adamant that no player (or in this case, group of players), should have the ability to, literally, hold their organization and city hostage while making a media spectacle out of it.

Post #19   7/12/10 3:00:32PM   

RyanC

MMA Sensei

RyanC Avatar

Chips:

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

That's where the murkiness of this situation comes into play. If Wade NEVER planned on leaving, then he WAS acting as an agent for the Heat and it would be tampering. Short of any of them admitting it, this will never be proven, though. He, LeBron, and Bosh will just be convicted in the court of public opinion.

This just furthers the likelihood of a lockout next season. The players aren't going to want to give this up and owners like Cuban and Gilbert are going to be adamant that no player (or in this case, group of players), should have the ability to, literally, hold their organization and city hostage while making a media spectacle out of it.

Gotta love the business of sports!

Post #20   7/12/10 3:09:16PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Chips:

Posted by RyanC

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Gotta love the business of sports!

+1

Post #21   7/12/10 3:15:25PM   

kopower

Heavyweight Champ

kopower Avatar

Career:2,215-1,196
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Gilbert's comments did go a bit too far, but it's good to see someone call out a "superstar". There are so much "behind the scenes" things that go on that nobody hears about. I guess it's his word against Lebron's, as far as what happened with the contract negotiations.

Listening to KFAN, a local sports radio station in the Twin Cities, I've heard a few stories about KG and his behind the scenes antics from some insiders. I have a tough time feeling sorry for these athletes making millions of dollars a year.

As for Mr. Jackson, I'm not gonna waste my time writing a paragraph ripping him.

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in the playground is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no props, and may the mods have mercy on your soul.

Post #22   7/12/10 4:39:02PM   

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:
The Commish (Stern) spoke yesterday on the whole thing. Nothing wrong done but he wishes LeBron didn't do ti the way he did. As for Gilbert...standard slap on the wrist for the comments he made after The Decision. $100K fine.

And because some people will love (haha) this, the show is already being criticized by none other than my man World Wide Wilbon.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_upshot/20100712/sp_yblog_upshot/espn-host-criticizes-lebron-a-thon;_ylt=AoB_bNkfVX3j_XVkZfIGj705nYcB

Oh, and His Airness has even weighed in. When asked between Kobe & LeBron who was better, MJ simply said Kobe.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOsamobHeMc&feature=player_embedded

Last edited 7/13/10 7:41AM server time by DCRage
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #23   7/13/10 7:38:04AM   

tdietel01

Standup Guy

tdietel01 Avatar

Career:83-44
Camp: OHIO TOP TEAM
Chips:
people like the so called "Rev" are the ones that are racist. Im tired of hearing it from him. What if pastor rob "klan leader" decided to say LeBron was acting like a runaway slave? Riots and a never ending run of the mouth from mr jackson and al sharpton is what we would get.

Post #24   7/13/10 12:58:06PM   

Cdellorso

In Full Mount

Cdellorso Avatar

Career:647-447
Camp: Wild Wind
Chips:
Dan Gilbert is real. He speaks his mind and will call it like it is.- He was definately pissed that Lebron left the way he did hell even that he left period but then the flashy freakshow too.....
I love pro atheletes today. all the hype and hoopla....hes young, he will learn....
I have no care at all in what Jesse Jackson has to say.

Post #25   7/13/10 9:41:05PM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,245-1,185
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by Cdellorso

Dan Gilbert is real. He speaks his mind and will call it like it is

Unfortunately, he waited until he wasn't benefitting from the situation to speak his mind. That's not "real" in my opinion.

Post #26   7/13/10 10:31:42PM   

ncordless

MODulation

ncordless Avatar

Career:1,842-1,052
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Jackson, Gilbert, and LeBron all acted like idiots. I admit I was kind of interested when we didn't know where LeBron would go and then if he was really going to rip the heart out of Cleveland on national tv. He did. It was half-assed, hilarious, and horrible.

Now it's over and I don't give two craps about what every celebrity in the world thinks about it.

Last edited 7/13/10 11:40PM server time by ncordless
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #27   7/13/10 10:43:26PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Chips:
I was seriously waiting for someone to ask Tiger what he thought about it during his press conference at 3am this morning.

Post #28   7/14/10 12:36:50AM   

Page 2 of 2     1     2