Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Machinda's father would like Lyoto to quit fighting

Print  
Posted By Message

BigIP

Standup Guy

BigIP Avatar

Career:43-35
Chips:
In the video Machida's fathers talks about how the pressure got to Lyoto in the Shogun fight and how he feels he should stop fighting but Lyoto wants to fight until he's 35. He also talk about spiritual recovery that could take 10 years. It's like watching Mr. Miyagi talk after a couple of hits from a bong.

Link

Post #1   7/8/10 11:52:33AM   

BMF

MMA Regular

Career:1,936-1,385
Chips:
If he didn't drink piss he may be able to fight until he is 36.

Post #2   7/8/10 1:58:18PM   

jlock003

Standup Guy

jlock003 Avatar

Career:543-400
Camp: MAYHEM MONKEYS!!!!!!
Chips:
It strikes me as odd at first, but then I come to the realization that there is a much different culture that exists outside of Western Civilization. We typically chase money, fame, and more money. In a great deal of other portions of the world people still weigh one's self-worth by honor and spirituality. Granted both honor and spirituality can be measured on different scales for different people, but in light of the difference of world view the video makes since. I'm glad Machida will keep fighting personally, and I really think he can make it back to the top. It's not so much that Shogun exploited any weakness in Lyoto's game, instead he just came in hungrier and Machida didn't realize he was fighting a different fighter from the first fight. That was the most aggressive I had ever seen anybody step into the cage against him and it payed off, but I'm willing to bet the next time somebody does it he will be waiting for them. It is kind of sad to see his old man saying he wished he would retire though, I kind of enjoy their interviews together when the support is there. OH well I guess we will see how it all pans out. Worse comes to worse maybe he can move his training camp to the states and train with a different regiment.

Last edited 7/8/10 2:32PM server time by jlock003
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #3   7/8/10 2:31:40PM   

BigIP

Standup Guy

BigIP Avatar

Career:43-35
Chips:
I think as a father it was hard for him to watch his son get beat in a decisive fashion. He feels his son already won the belt and has accomplished enough. I'm not sure if by 'spiritual' he meant' confidence or some other inner truth.

Post #4   7/8/10 3:00:43PM   

MaxOne

Captain Doctor

MaxOne Avatar

Career:862-586
Camp: Team Syntax
Chips:
that is just a dad talking that saw his son get beat bad. same dad that was encouraging him to fight anderson before all this happened. his son seemed unbeatable to him and then reality hit...and it sucked. Nobody wants to see their son get k.o.d but to see a guy like machida get knocked out is even crazier cuz all he's done is win his whole career.

Last edited 7/8/10 6:18PM server time by maxone
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #5   7/8/10 5:08:55PM   

GrandMaster313

In Full Mount

GrandMaster313 Avatar

Career:992-648
Chips:

Posted by BMF

If he didn't drink piss he may be able to fight until he is 36.

i think he didnt drink enough piss. Up the dosage Daniel son !!!

Post #6   7/8/10 6:00:30PM   

icantthinkofanything

MMA Sensei

icantthinkofanything Avatar

Career:911-636
Camp: 360 Mafia
Chips:
I think it's the karate style that got exploited. If Machida had a conventional boxing or kickboxing style to use in a plan b situation, he would be better off. Everyone is beatable, and I think there is no reason to retire from 1 loss. Lose the piss, get a 2nd style and a real camp imo.

Image Attachment(s):

Photo Attachment 1

Post #7   7/8/10 7:53:40PM   

chickmagnet

MMA Sensei

chickmagnet Avatar

Career:529-344
Camp: The Pit
Chips:
Its the Samurai mentality of being beat once, means its over.

Post #8   7/8/10 8:23:29PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,566-910
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
People should chill about the drinking Urine thing. It's not anyone's business but his and it's a family tradition. We might not understand the culture but that doesn't give us the right to ridicule it.

I don't think Machida should retire, nor will he. I think what his father was talking about when it comes to "healing spiritually" is the mental tole that fighting has on a person.

Post #9   7/8/10 11:24:22PM   

seanfu

BANNED

seanfu Avatar

Career:233-122
Chips:

Posted by icantthinkofanything

I think it's the karate style that got exploited. If Machida had a conventional boxing or kickboxing style to use in a plan b situation, he would be better off. Everyone is beatable, and I think there is no reason to retire from 1 loss. Lose the piss, get a 2nd style and a real camp imo.

He goes to muay thai camps and does decent bjj, and his wrestling was enough for him to never have been taken down in the UFC. He took down tito, and shogun.

Fail.

Post #10   7/9/10 12:01:12PM