Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Frank Mir's Goals For 2011: Retire Nogueira And KO Lesnar

Print  
  Page 1 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:
2 goals that boxing guru Jimmy Clifford thinks are attainable in comments made to The Las Vegas Sun. "We believe Mir is going to be the guy to knock out Brock Lesnar. Me, GSP, Freddie Roach - we all agreed Mir can do it. We see holes in his game we know we can expose. If you're asking me who would Frank Mir want to fight right now, it's Brock. He'd love to fight him. Realistically, that's not going to happen so we want that Nog fight. Nog claims staph infection affected his chin in the last one. I don't know how that happens, but I think if Mir gets a chance at Nogueira again, he'll knock him out early and retire him. Right now, he's at 252 and his best fighting weight is between 240 and 245 pounds. He's not going to stay at 265 to fight Brock again ... In Mir's mind, it's about martial arts vs. this big gorilla who really is just a big gorilla."

Article

Post #1   7/8/10 9:43:00AM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,363-1,248
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Post #2   7/8/10 9:45:48AM   

BigIP

Standup Guy

BigIP Avatar

Career:43-35
Chips:
I think Mir is delusional. He should be fighting Nelson to avenge his BJJ lost to him and forget about Brock.

Post #3   7/8/10 10:11:57AM   

Boo_Radley21

Heavyweight Champ

Boo_Radley21 Avatar

Career:605-425
Chips:
I used to think it would be cool to see Frank get his title back after losing it from the accident, but I have little to no respect for him anymore he just bugs the hell out of me he's so cocky and annoying

Post #4   7/8/10 10:54:07AM   

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:
He could in all seriousness beat Nog again but Brock has got his number. Mir didn't look like he could do anything against Brocks take downs and G&P. Its a shame really as Mir is a serious threat to anyone without the size of Carwin and Lesnar.

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #5   7/8/10 10:55:27AM   

sbulldavid

Heavyweight Champ

sbulldavid Avatar

Career:1,509-889
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
Mir is capable of beating anybody, he just out thinks himself too often. I felt he should of beaten Carwin, I have no idea why he was trying to overpower Carwin. Now he wants to outbox Lesner, that is only going to lead to him ending up on his back half mounted. I think the way for him to beat Lesner is to keep it in the middle and keep that guard active. Survive the first two rounds and Mir would pick apart Lesner.

Post #6   7/8/10 11:38:41AM   

Hendo67

MMA Sensei

Hendo67 Avatar

Career:1,066-730
Camp: East Coast Pitbulls
Chips:
Mir and Lesnar fought twice, Lesnar won 99% of it. I don't like Mir, and i really straight up don't think he is that great.

Post #7   7/8/10 11:47:19AM   

ziegler3334

Standup Guy

ziegler3334 Avatar

Career:547-284
Chips:
Mir is still in the UFC's top 5 HWs, but he's not dominate. I cannot stand how he talks about other fighters. He is so in love with himself, whatever he thinks he talks about like it's common fact. He is always talking like he is a true "mixed martial artist" fighting for the good of MMA against phonies like Brock. Actually Frank, these guys are the new generation. If he keeps running his mouth about it, he'll look even dumber when (actually if he earns a shot ever again) Brock smashes him again. Seeing Lesnar v. Mir 2 kind of made me think of GSP/Hughes or Hughes/Gracie. This sport is still evolving at a rapid pace and Mir may be on his way to gatekeeper status.

Also, while I'm ranting, Mir complains about Lesnar being a disrespectful a**, but he is the goat of the UFC right now. How many fighters deserve more respect that Nog?? Not many. But that doesn't stop Frank, cuz after all, they're all just living in Frank's world.

Post #8   7/8/10 12:28:03PM   

chickmagnet

MMA Sensei

chickmagnet Avatar

Career:529-344
Camp: The Pit
Chips:
These comments are foolish..

Post #9   7/8/10 12:51:54PM   

Giant_Ochai

BANNED

Career:433-278
Chips:

Posted by SmileR

He could in all seriousness beat Nog again but Brock has got his number. Mir didn't look like he could do anything against Brocks take downs and G&P. Its a shame really as Mir is a serious threat to anyone without the size of Carwin and Lesnar.

It's a shame that Mir is inferior to two superior fighters?

Post #10   7/8/10 12:57:02PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,928-1,077
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
At first Frank Mir was too small, so he bulked up and packed on alot of muscle. Then he fought brock and realized that he was still too small. So he got even bigger and tipped the scales at 260+ against Carwin. Cutting weight to even make the heavyweight threshold. But then he realized that he was too big. He didnt have the man strength that comes from filling in at that weight over a long period time, Nor did he have the speed that he used to flaunt when he was smaller and lighter.

So now he's cutting off about 20 pounds of mostly muscle to weigh-in at a not so ripped 245 for his next fight. Because this time, all of his problems will be solved with this perfect mix of Speed and Power.

In all actuality, doing this to his body is probably going to cause his career to burnout faster than expected. The body just cant support this type of shenanigans as you get older and older. Also, his body weight raised 20 pounds in two fights, and now hes cutting all that off again for his next fight. Thats about 40 pounds of weight being added and subtracted from his frame, this is the exact type of thing that killed Riddick Bowe's career. You just dont feel as comfortable with your weight if you've been doing that much work to change it.

Post #11   7/8/10 1:29:14PM   

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:
He might get his wish sooner. He's getting Nog at 119.

Post #12   7/8/10 2:19:25PM   

brutalbones

MMA Regular

brutalbones Avatar

Career:1,398-928
Camp: UHF Supplies
Chips:
unreallistic expectations.

Post #13   7/8/10 2:34:06PM   

TheBestEVER

MMA Regular

TheBestEVER Avatar

Career:519-308
Camp: M Town Hard Hitters
Chips:
Sheesh give me a break

Post #14   7/8/10 2:41:24PM   

jlock003

Standup Guy

jlock003 Avatar

Career:558-406
Camp: MAYHEM MONKEYS!!!!!!
Chips:
Wow the Haterade is flowing! Look Mir is a mind games kinda guy. He has done this stuff since the old days before the wreck. Go back and watch his pre-fight interviews before the Wes Sims fights and you will see what I'm talking about. Hell even the Sylvia fight was the same. He does that stuff to get into the opponents head. Truthfully it nearly worked in the second Lesnar fight. He had Brock livid, but he didn't count on brock working on that wierd half-nelson from half guard. The bottom line in the second fight is that Brock actually game planned. HIs camp knew that Mir would go for the legs b/c that is what you do against wrestlers. Great wresters in mma have always been suseptable to leg locks. Mir had a good strategy, but he didn't count on Brock landing on top of him and trapping his upper body when he went for the leg. The guy does have good stand up, he is extremely well rounded, and it takes time to understand what your best weight is to fight at. He had never done any weight training before and it's hard to learn to balance all of the aspects of mma. The guy dropped Big Nog and he also dropped Kongo before sinking in that nasty Guillotine. He definitely isn't a candidate to talk about a guy who the sport has just passed by. He just had been out game planned in the last two losses. Carwin put him against the cage instead of standing and striking, and Lesnar punished him from half guard. It happens.

Post #15   7/8/10 3:35:18PM   

Page 1 of 3     1     2     3