Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Dream Fight: BJ Penn vs Gilbert Melendez

Print  
Posted By Message

FireballKid

Learning to Sprawl

FireballKid Avatar

Career:43-29
Chips:
I started having problems with an Aldo and Penn matchup, BJ would be too heavy and would smother him. However, Melendez is a big dude for a lightweight. His striking capability can matchup against that of Penn. The only thing Melendez needs to worry about is Penn's Jiu-Jitsu. With the Aoki fight, Melendez was obviously bigger in size. BJ Penn though is bigger than Aoki.

I can't come up with a result for this match.

Does anyone have their predictions?

Post #1   7/7/10 9:20:43PM   

seanfu

BANNED

seanfu Avatar

Career:233-122
Chips:
Melendes unable to do anything but be jabbed repeatedly for embarrasing landslide.

Post #2   7/7/10 9:51:08PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,804-1,005
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Melendez not being able to score a takedown and being forced to fight a frankie edgar esque strategy to no avail. His hands just arent good enough.

Would look alot like Penn v. Sherk & Melendez v. Thomson 1

Post #3   7/7/10 10:32:19PM   

ChokeUout

In Full Mount

ChokeUout Avatar

Career:446-268
Chips:
C'mon man...BJ would kill melendez. BJ's Stand-up is better, I doubt Gilbert can take BJ down, and even if he would, BJ probably has a bigger advantage on the ground than on the feet. Also, I think BJ could take Gilbert down easier than Gilbert could to BJ.

You can call it a dream match-up, I call it a lopsided beatdown. Maybe moreso than BJ vs Diego or Florian.

Post #4   7/8/10 1:26:37AM   

KaibaThedon

T H E D O N

KaibaThedon Avatar

Career:1,624-875
Camp: Canadian Power Team
Chips:
Prodigy via submission !!

WW: Rush, Natural Born Killer, Ares, Hitman, Maia
LW: Jim Miller, Smooth, Khabib Eagle
FW: Aldo, Do Bronx, Answer
BW: Cruz, Mayday, One Punch, Barao

Post #5   7/8/10 1:51:54AM   

Taylor8766

Belt Contender

Taylor8766 Avatar

Career:740-512
Camp: East Coast Pitbulls
Chips:
Bj would destroy Melendez, he would pick him apart standing and then would go to the ground pound him for a bit and sink in a submission.

Post #6   7/8/10 11:18:19AM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,471-1,565
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by KaibaThedon

I seriously doubt that! Aoki's got better jits then Penn by far and he couldn't sub Melendez, besides Penn hasn't used his jits in a fight for a while and just depends on his boxing nowadays. I think Penn would win but I doubt he would be willing to go to the ground against Melendez because his wrestling is solid and that's Penn's "Achilles Heel".

Post #7   7/8/10 7:33:29PM   

seanfu

BANNED

seanfu Avatar

Career:233-122
Chips:

Posted by jae_1833

Posted by KaibaThedon

I seriously doubt that! Aoki's got better jits then Penn by far and he couldn't sub Melendez, besides Penn hasn't used his jits in a fight for a while and just depends on his boxing nowadays. I think Penn would win but I doubt he would be willing to go to the ground against Melendez because his wrestling is solid and that's Penn's "Achilles Heel".

When was Aoki on the ground in that fight again?

Post #8   7/9/10 12:02:51PM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:

Posted by jae_1833

Posted by KaibaThedon

How can you say Aoki has better jits than Penn? Aoki has never, ever, fought a guy with the level of jits that Penn has.

Post #9   7/10/10 10:02:52AM   

BustedKnuckle

MMA Sensei

BustedKnuckle Avatar

Career:659-381
Chips:
I see it as a beat down for Gil all the way. He doesn't have the skills to take BJ down, and his stand-up would be rudamentary compared to "The Prodigy". Seriously, I love that SF has a good following(me included) but, thier champs are second best to the UFC. Gilbert would not beat Edgar. Diaz would be totaly overwhelmed by GSP, flat out!! Shields is leaving for the UFC(allegedly!!). King Mo wouldn't last a minute against Rua's strikes. And Werdum would get smothered by Brock.

Post #10   7/10/10 9:10:57PM   

rcg916

He's Back...

rcg916 Avatar

Career:523-269
Chips:
I'll play devil's advocate... Doesn't Melendez get credit for far superior conditioning? I think it would make a difference in a 5 round fight. I could see BJ starting hot, and fading down the stretch. Either way, Id love to see it.

Post #11   7/19/10 11:00:47PM   

mshalosky

Standup Guy

mshalosky Avatar

Career:362-216
Chips:

Posted by jae_1833

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted by KaibaThedon

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When was Aoki on the ground in that fight again?

Well, if butt scooting counts then like 80 percent of the fight lol. Penn would get the SUB because, he would dominate him standing and break him. At somepoint he will knock Melendez down and SUB him.

Post #12   7/21/10 1:33:13AM   

ncordless

MODulation

ncordless Avatar

Career:1,826-1,047
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by rcg916

I'll play devil's advocate... Doesn't Melendez get credit for far superior conditioning? I think it would make a difference in a 5 round fight. I could see BJ starting hot, and fading down the stretch. Either way, Id love to see it.

That would be the one chance. It would really depend on BJ more than anything that Gil could pull out. Gil wouldn't get BJ down and Gil is not the striker that Edgar (or Florian for that matter) is. Melendez does have good sub defense and does train with some high level grapplers, but I don't think the fight stays down long enough for it to make a difference.

Post #13   7/21/10 2:07:51AM   

c-dub

Learning to Sprawl

c-dub Avatar

Career:111-81
Chips:
I think bj would come out wit the win in this fight. dont get me wrong melendez is a hell of a top ranked fighter but the strikeforce 155 div is not stacked like the UFC. i would like 2 c him fight ken-flo, sherk, gray maynard, just 2 c how he does before he takes a fight of that caliber.

Post #14   7/21/10 1:24:53PM   

noahgenda

Standup Guy

noahgenda Avatar

Career:315-179
Chips:
gilberts striking capabilities almost certainly do not match up with penn's

edit: also, how is wrestling the "achilles heel" of the hardest guy to take down in mma?

Last edited 7/22/10 10:31AM server time by noahgenda
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #15   7/22/10 10:28:40AM