Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Leben will stay busy, but not against Wanderlei

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,763-1,756
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
link
In what would be guaranteed dynamite, Leben vs. Silva would seem like a lock, but UFC president Dana White had to let the air out of the balloon at the post-fight press conference saying that Silva will be out for several months.

"We talked about that, the problem is Wanderlei's having knee surgery. He's going to be out for a while," said White.

Leben will undoubtedly take some much needed time off now after two fights in two weeks, but White hopes to keep the former Team Quest fighter busy, because that's the best way to guarantee his performance.

Post #1   7/6/10 12:32:04PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
I would like to see Leben vs Wandy but I think Akiyama should finally get that Wandy match up. Then maybe have Leben rematch Cote.

Post #2   7/6/10 12:41:15PM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,363-1,248
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Give him Nate Quarry.

Post #3   7/6/10 12:47:56PM   

CCPRIDE99

Standup Guy

CCPRIDE99 Avatar

Career:1,224-710
Chips:

Posted by emfleek

Give him Nate Quarry.

leben wont fight quarry. theyre really good friends. i think leben vs wanderlei would be one of the greatest fights ever. if he wants to stay busy id say gerald harris mario miranda chris camozzi kendall grove alan belcher or maybe court mcgee. somebody who wouldnt be a huge step down but an exciting fight

Post #4   7/6/10 2:05:17PM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Chips:

Posted by CCPRIDE99

leben wont fight quarry. theyre really good friends.

If he wants to be the "company man" that he recently said he wants to be, he'll fight anyone. Leben strikes me as the type that is willing to set friendship aside in order to earn a paycheck.

Post #5   7/6/10 2:25:07PM   

skitzo

MMA Regular

skitzo Avatar

Career:272-153
Chips:

Posted by emfleek

Posted by CCPRIDE99

leben wont fight quarry. theyre really good friends.

If he wants to be the "company man" that he recently said he wants to be, he'll fight anyone. Leben strikes me as the type that is willing to set friendship aside in order to earn a paycheck.

This is true, but I really don't think that fight makes much sense. A fight with Quarry would be a step down in competition. At this point he needs to keep moving up the ladder and this would definitely be a step down.

Post #6   7/6/10 3:13:57PM   

CCPRIDE99

Standup Guy

CCPRIDE99 Avatar

Career:1,224-710
Chips:

This is true, but I really don't think that fight makes much sense. A fight with Quarry would be a step down in competition. At this point he needs to keep moving up the ladder and this would definitely be a step down.

yea it would be a step down. leben just finished two really solid fighters and nate quarry got destructed by a guy that leben beat

Post #7   7/6/10 3:19:42PM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Chips:
Well, a fight with Wanderlei isn't exactly a step *up* in competition (IMO). The guy has lost 5 out of his last 7.

I think Leben wants to fight him because he knows the fight will be a standup war and it will be exciting...not because it's going to lead him to a title shot.

If he's campaigning to fight Wandy, he's not all that interested in the title hunt (for now) if you ask me.

Post #8   7/6/10 3:35:40PM   

joshjr

Josh "The Babyface Assassin"

joshjr Avatar

Career:538-351
Camp: MMA Weekly
Chips:

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

I would like to see Leben vs Wandy but I think Akiyama should finally get that Wandy match up. Then maybe have Leben rematch Cote.

Akiyama is over rated in my opinion. I thought Alan Belchor won that fight and Chris Leben just beat him as well. I was excited to see him and Wanderlei but now to he honest I dont even care. There are better matchups that are exciting to see Wanderlei in.

Post #9   7/6/10 3:58:47PM   

joshjr

Josh "The Babyface Assassin"

joshjr Avatar

Career:538-351
Camp: MMA Weekly
Chips:

Posted by CCPRIDE99

Yea it would be a step down. Leben just finished two really solid fighters and nate quarry got destructed by a guy that leben beat
I was thinking if Wanderlei cant fight maybe a stand up war with someone like Patrick Cote would be good.

Post #10   7/6/10 4:09:48PM   

RyanC

MMA Sensei

RyanC Avatar

Career:472-317
Camp: Journalistas
Chips:
I don't care who they put Leben against. I just want to see him in the cage again soon. He looks great right now. He seems very focused and motivated, and he really seems to be in a good frame of mind. Looking forward to seeing him again.

Post #11   7/6/10 4:09:56PM   

skitzo

MMA Regular

skitzo Avatar

Career:272-153
Chips:

Posted by emfleek

Well, a fight with Wanderlei isn't exactly a step *up* in competition (IMO). The guy has lost 5 out of his last 7.

I think Leben wants to fight him because he knows the fight will be a standup war and it will be exciting...not because it's going to lead him to a title shot.

If he's campaigning to fight Wandy, he's not all that interested in the title hunt (for now) if you ask me.

Oh I agree, I was just saying I didn't think Quarry wasn't a step up in competition.

I also think he wants to fight Wand because of his legendary status.

Post #12   7/6/10 4:25:33PM   

Playground_Samurai

I EAT POOP

Playground_Samurai Avatar

Career:2,359-1,249
Camp: Hand Grenade Hillbillies
Chips:

Posted by emfleek

I kind of disagree. I realize Wanderlei only has one fight in the MW division, but he beat a solid guy in Michael Bisping. I bet anything that if Wandy had fought and beaten Akiyama, they would've said he was right there in title contention. Probably one fight away from a title shot. Just like in the LHW division, Chuck is on a big slide, but multiple fighters find themselves in title contention when they beat him. People hold Chuck and Wanderlei in high regard and fighters get a lot of credit for beating them.

Post #13   7/6/10 5:25:34PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:
I say put him in there against either Cote or Belcher.

Although I gotta say I think Belcher would probably refuse the fight based on the fact that he wants upper echelon competition. Cote vs. Leben might not happen because of that fact that it already happened. Still, personally I think those two are great matchups.

Post #14   7/6/10 6:18:56PM   

IowaWrestling

Learning to Sprawl

Career:116-80
Camp: Iowa MMA
Chips:
I would rather he defend his loss to Bisbing. I think focused Leben would put the hammer on the pillow handed Bisbing now

Post #15   7/6/10 6:33:58PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2