Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

"TUF 10" and UFC veteran Mike Wessel arrested for "terroristic threats"

Print  
Posted By Message

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,834-1,785
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
link
Shortly after he arrived, officer Stout witnessed Wessel charge a crowd in front of the pub. He restrained the fighter and took him to the Craighead Country Detention Center.

Wessel became irate during the car ride to the detention center and began making threats when its jailers attempted to restrain him, according to an arrest report.

"Several jailers and a deputy arrived and placed [Wessel] into the restraint chair," McClard read from Stout's police report. "He began making death threats toward me and my family, and said that he was going to kill me and my kids."

Post #1   7/5/10 2:15:41PM   

moob

In Full Mount

moob Avatar

Career:1,385-918
Chips:
Odd choice of words - threatening someone's wife and kids doesn't really lead to the threats being 'terroristic'.

Post #2   7/5/10 2:26:22PM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,572-930
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:

Posted by moob

Odd choice of words - threatening someone's wife and kids doesn't really lead to the threats being 'terroristic'.

Moob,I got to agree.
I know political threads are a no,no on these forums but anymore the criteria for becoming a "terrorist" seems to get narrower and narrower.

Maybe people just notice the word more than they did,but that charge seems pretty outlandish to me.

Last edited 7/5/10 3:26PM server time by mrsmiley
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #3   7/5/10 3:19:29PM   

TheBudCan

MMA Regular

TheBudCan Avatar

Career:2,542-1,476
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Hey, fellas. Just my two cents on this. "Terroristic threats" don't have to involve any type of "terrorism", per se. The technical definition of a "terroristic threat", which is a misdemeanor, is when an individual communicates any type of threat that causes a person or group to be in fear of bodily harm, disrupts an assembly, public gathering or the use of a public building or indicates an attempt to interrupt or disrupt any type of public service such as telephones, water, sewage or electricity.

Terrorist threat charges can also occur with threats to the government or any school, public officer or emergency service organization as well as those directed as particular private individuals. Stalking, harassment and public misconduct and also result in terrorist threat charges.

More than likely, if Wessel has a clean record, he'll end up paying a fine and being put on probation.

Post #4   7/5/10 3:35:50PM   

gartface

Heavyweight Champ

gartface Avatar

Career:1,406-898
Camp: Hand Grenade Hillbillies
Chips:

Posted by TheBudCan Hey, fellas. Just my two cents on this. "Terroristic threats" don't have to involve any type of "terrorism", per se. The technical definition of a "terroristic threat", which is a misdemeanor, is when an individual communicates any type of threat that causes a person or group to be in fear of bodily harm, disrupts an assembly, public gathering or the use of a public building or indicates an attempt to interrupt or disrupt any type of public service such as telephones, water, sewage or electricity. Terrorist threat charges can also occur with threats to the government or any school, public officer or emergency service organization as well as those directed as particular private individuals. Stalking, harassment and public misconduct and also result in terrorist threat charges. More than likely, if Wessel has a clean record, he'll end up paying a fine and being put on probation.
A kid in Atlanta threw a water balloon at my bosses car, cracked his windshield, and was charged with terroristic threats. You're right Bud. The charge makes it sound so much worse than it is. I'll equate it to spitting on someone constituting an assault charge.

Post #5   7/5/10 5:00:48PM   

Sir_Karl

MMA Sensei

Sir_Karl Avatar

Career:2,378-1,590
Chips:
Terroristic threats? ABSURD.

Post #6   7/5/10 7:19:50PM   

BeeR

MMA Sensei

BeeR Avatar

Career:681-411
Chips:
here's an idea, dont threaten a police officer or his family.
Absurd? I dont think so....

Post #7   7/5/10 8:32:47PM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,572-930
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:

Posted by BeeR

here's an idea, dont threaten a police officer or his family.
Absurd? I dont think so....

Compared to what some of the cops around my neighborhood do that's sainthood.
But yeah It's definently not a good idea to threaten a cop.

Last edited 7/5/10 8:40PM server time by mrsmiley
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #8   7/5/10 8:37:48PM   

MaxOne

Captain Doctor

MaxOne Avatar

Career:862-586
Camp: Team Syntax
Chips:

Posted by mrsmiley

Posted by moob

Moob,I got to agree.
I know political threads are a no,no on these forums but anymore the criteria for becoming a "terrorist" seems to get narrower and narrower.

Maybe people just notice the word more than they did,but that charge seems pretty outlandish to me.

yeah, it sounds like he was threatening to commit a hate crime

Post #9   7/6/10 2:33:40AM