Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Sherdogs Latest P4P Rankings Via ESPN

Print  
  Page 1 of 4     1     2     3     4  
Posted By Message

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Career:534-389
Chips:

For 7½ years, Fedor Emelianenko was a fixture in the rarefied air of pound-for-pound lists. Not anymore. Emelianenko's shocking June 26 loss to Fabricio Werdum radically resculpted the face of the heavyweight division and the pound-for-pound list.

Link

This is easily the most curious list I've seen in a while. I'm sure you could make a case for a couple guys, but I'd have some names on there that aren't.

Post #1   7/1/10 8:46:42PM   

theruler_

MMA Regular

theruler_ Avatar

Career:47-28
Chips:
the top of the list looks okay to me. not sure about penn, fitch and possibly few others being on there with fedor missing. there are so many different ways of measuring p4p though, so who knows what the criteria is.

Post #2   7/1/10 9:25:56PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Chips:
I'm questioning Shields...to be honest.

Post #3   7/1/10 9:28:13PM   

gartface

Heavyweight Champ

gartface Avatar

Career:1,406-898
Camp: Hand Grenade Hillbillies
Chips:

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Ummm Fitch higher than Shogun?

Post #4   7/1/10 9:42:04PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:
So.... let me get this straight....

A guy who has a better record than every fighter on that list loses once and all of the sudden he's out of the top 10?

There's not a single fighter on that list that would have been able to get out of Werdum's triangle IMO. I have no problem with dropping Fedor's ranking or knocking on him a little bit for the loss, but this is a straight up insult. It just comes off as completely unprofessional and biased. I can't respect it. Especially with Shields on that list. I mean... what are you going to say to back up the claim that Fedor doesn't deserve a spot? He's fought nothing but cans? HELLOOOOOO... Jake Shields has a record built on cans and only with his win over Dan Henderson does he have the slightest claim at top 5 in welterweight or MW. Let alone p4p. Such a joke.

Last edited 7/1/10 9:43PM server time by Jackelope
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #5   7/1/10 9:42:44PM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,276-1,203
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
I'd expect nothing less from Sherdog.

Post #6   7/1/10 9:47:10PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Chips:
I had to do a double take when I read this list. I was like....uhhhh....okay....
I was pissed they didn't list the author. Jake Shields above Machida and Evans is a complete f*cking joke. Either one of those fighters would decimate Shields.

Post #7   7/1/10 9:48:10PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Chips:
Also- I just want to say that I understand that by their very nature p4p lists are completely arbitrary and totally unnecessary, but this is still like a giant slap in the face to a number of fighters.

I mean... I take some measure of pride in the fact that I don't necessarily believe in p4p. Even if I am to enter into a debate of p4p I think I can be a reasonable enough person to subject the criteria for a list to some kind of set of irrefutable facts, though. This is just completely asinine and horrible journalism IMO. The fact that ESPN, a leader in the sports journalism world, would produce this list is just a testament to how bad MMA journalism truly is. This is just straight disgusting and IMO Sherdog, ESPN, and anybody who lends any kind of credibility to this list should be ashamed of themselves.

Post #8   7/1/10 9:57:01PM   

theruler_

MMA Regular

theruler_ Avatar

Career:47-28
Chips:

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

i would probably have him there somewhere after the hendo win. henderson was probably ranked #2 at the time and shields has not lost since 2004. he's kinda in a similar boat to anderson silva bar quality of opposition. until they fight i'd keep both on the list. also successful at 170 and 185.

i just don't get how penn loses 4 out of 10 and is still so high. sure he fought at 170lb 3 times, but having lost on each occasion i don't see how that would be of value in a p4p list.

Post #9   7/1/10 10:03:33PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Jackelope

Also- I just want to say that I understand that by their very nature p4p lists are completely arbitrary and totally unnecessary, but this is still like a giant slap in the face to a number of fighters.

I mean... I take some measure of pride in the fact that I don't necessarily believe in p4p. Even if I am to enter into a debate of p4p I think I can be a reasonable enough person to subject the criteria for a list to some kind of set of irrefutable facts, though. This is just completely asinine and horrible journalism IMO. The fact that ESPN, a leader in the sports journalism world, would produce this list is just a testament to how bad MMA journalism truly is. This is just straight disgusting and IMO Sherdog, ESPN, and anybody who lends any kind of credibility to this list should be ashamed of themselves.

To be honest, I think ESPN is just getting their feet wet with MMA and relies on Sherdog (the most easily recognized name) for their MMA columns. I have a feeling that as soon as they start launching off with MMA productions they won't rely on these people any longer.

Post #10   7/1/10 10:10:51PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Chips:

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Posted by Jackelope

To be honest, I think ESPN is just getting their feet wet with MMA and relies on Sherdog (the most easily recognized name) for their MMA columns. I have a feeling that as soon as they start launching off with MMA productions they won't rely on these people any longer.

Yeah, but it still reeks of "Rolling Stone's Top 100 {Insert Subject Here}"

Post #11   7/1/10 10:17:44PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Jackelope

Yeah, but it still reeks of "Rolling Stone's Top 100 {Insert Subject Here}"

I'd say this one reeks more than Rolling Stone's lists. I do hope that ESPN's analysis of MMA catches up with their analysis of other sports. Relying on Sherdog isn't something they need to be doing as large as they are.

Post #12   7/1/10 10:29:40PM   

BustedKnuckle

MMA Sensei

BustedKnuckle Avatar

Career:659-381
Chips:
Damn one loss got the russian expelled from the list. Hell BJ just lost is sitting at # 5. I am not a big Fedor nuthugger. But He is stil on the list for sure!

Post #13   7/1/10 10:40:45PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Chips:
Many people feel that BJ won that fight, so that's not a great comparison. Machida would have been a better comparison. He definitively lost, as did Fedor, however, they both lost to easily top 10 if not top 5 guys in their respective divisions.

Post #14   7/1/10 10:46:28PM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:
I wonder to myself we head Dana say that the Rankings are for sale Sherdog no longer has press creds to UFC. Dana wants Fedor but now he willl low ball. aaaahhhhh there are no back door conspericys in MMA!

Post #15   7/1/10 10:53:21PM   

Page 1 of 4     1     2     3     4