Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Brock Lesnar "Coming Home With The Belt Sunday Morning"

Print  
Posted By Message

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:
Shane Carwin made his prediction for Saturday earlier today, and now the UFC Heavyweight Champion has made his, and it's not a surprise. "I've prepared. This fight I see it going either way. We can stand and if either one of us, I of course have superior wrestling skill. More superior than his. I wanna be able to control this fight and take it wherever I want to. I'm a better ground-and-pound guy. That's where I've shown a lot of success. There's no secrets about my game. I'm a pretty blue collar, straightforward, let's get after it kind of fighter. My prediction is I'm coming home with the belt on Sunday morning."

Article

Post #1   6/30/10 6:01:11PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Career:534-389
Chips:
I wonder what makes Lesnar think that his wrestling is so superior to a guy that Accomplished more in college than he did.

Post #2   6/30/10 6:13:05PM   

Wand_is_GOD

MMA Regular

Wand_is_GOD Avatar

Career:97-61
Chips:
K

Post #3   6/30/10 9:47:39PM   

MisterFreeze

Standup Guy

MisterFreeze Avatar

Career:317-283
Chips:
I agree! Brock is coming home with the belt on Saturday!

It's funny because I saw the future, and Shane Carwin is going to be finished the same way he has previously finished all of his opponents. Ironic.

Post #4   6/30/10 11:09:40PM   

CanadianCripplr

MMA Regular

CanadianCripplr Avatar

Career:1,419-798
Camp: Canadian Power Team
Chips:

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

I wonder what makes Lesnar think that his wrestling is so superior to a guy that Accomplished more in college than he did.

how do you figure? wasnt brock undefeated in 3 years and div 1 ncaa champ?
Carwin didnt even compete at the highest lvl. wasnt he div 2? please fill me in...

Post #5   7/1/10 12:12:15AM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Chips:

Posted by CanadianCripplr

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Carwin didnt even compete at the highest lvl. wasnt he div 2? please fill me in...

Lesnar had 1 national championship and one national runner up. I would like to throw a little caveat by saying it was MY university that took home that National Title against Lesnar.

Carwin had 1 national title and two national runner ups.

They both wrestled at the same time. Division 1 doesn't necessarily mean it's the highest level. That's a long misunderstood fact. There's a number of reasons why a high level wrestler would not go Division 1. Hometown loyalty, JUCO transfer, grades, scholarships, affordability, etc..There are Division 2 and 3 guys that would beat Division 1 national champions. It's not as clear cut as people think it is. I believe that the top wrestler in NCAA right now is Division 3.

Post #6   7/1/10 12:28:16AM   

gartface

Heavyweight Champ

gartface Avatar

Career:1,406-898
Camp: Hand Grenade Hillbillies
Chips:

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn
JUCO transfer

Like Brock Lesnar? The difference I've seen in the octagon, is that Carwin doesn't really use his "outstanding wrestling" and Brock's main game plan is getting a guy to the mat and he does it with ease. Someone go ahead and bring up the fact that Couture took Lesnar down from the clinch, but say it like it's disrespect, because he's not an outstanding Grecor-Roman wrestler right? And Brock didn't pop right back up did he? Wait, he did and proceeded to take Couture down and eventually clip him and drop him.

I've read that "if the fight stays standing Brock will lose, but he'll win if he gets it to the ground." I'm still not sold on Carwin's head movement. I'm not saying Brock has the best head movement, but Carwin seems stiffer in the exchanges and has been rocked a couple of times in the past. If Brock so much as lands a straight right, Carwin will go out.

Then again, I probably shouldn't bet against ring rust, eh?

Post #7   7/1/10 11:10:23AM   

RyanC

MMA Sensei

RyanC Avatar

Career:472-317
Camp: Journalistas
Chips:

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Brock was not undefeated in college.

Post #8   7/1/10 11:19:27AM   

gartface

Heavyweight Champ

gartface Avatar

Chips:

Posted by RyanC

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Brock was not undefeated in college.

He wasn't, but he did accumulate a 106-5 record while at Minnesota. That's pretty impressive.

Post #9   7/1/10 12:15:30PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Chips:

Posted by gartface

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn
JUCO transfer

Like Brock Lesnar? The difference I've seen in the octagon, is that Carwin doesn't really use his "outstanding wrestling" and Brock's main game plan is getting a guy to the mat and he does it with ease. Someone go ahead and bring up the fact that Couture took Lesnar down from the clinch, but say it like it's disrespect, because he's not an outstanding Grecor-Roman wrestler right? And Brock didn't pop right back up did he? Wait, he did and proceeded to take Couture down and eventually clip him and drop him.

I've read that "if the fight stays standing Brock will lose, but he'll win if he gets it to the ground." I'm still not sold on Carwin's head movement. I'm not saying Brock has the best head movement, but Carwin seems stiffer in the exchanges and has been rocked a couple of times in the past. If Brock so much as lands a straight right, Carwin will go out.

Then again, I probably shouldn't bet against ring rust, eh?

I've seen Carwin use his outstanding wrestling a couple times. That "outstanding wrestling" (as Jackelope said) prevented one of the best BJJ top players in MMA from being able to anything when he secured top position. Carwin just got right back up and knocked him out less than 10 seconds later. Maybe you haven't seen his fight with Jay McCown, either. He uses his wrestling for a very easy takedown, with in seconds has full mount, maintains full mount while hammering the guys face, and secures the RNC after the guy gives up his back from the punches.

Fight with Jay McCown

Fight With Carlton Jones

Post #10   7/1/10 3:35:58PM   

gartface

Heavyweight Champ

gartface Avatar

Chips:
I'm sorry McCown nor Jones are Brock Lesnar.

Post #11   7/1/10 7:27:28PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Chips:
That wasn't your point. This is what you said. Carwin does use his wrestling. Gonzaga on top of you as a BJJ player is every bit as dangerous as Lesnar on top of you as a wrestler. Carwin got out of that.

Posted by gartface

The difference I've seen in the octagon, is that Carwin doesn't really use his "outstanding wrestling" and Brock's main game plan is getting a guy to the mat and he does it with ease.

Last edited 7/1/10 7:35PM server time by blueskiesburn
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #12   7/1/10 7:33:46PM