Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Following Death Of Michael Kirkham, Opponent's Trainer Says Nothing Seemed Afoul

Print  
Posted By Message

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:
Mark Greubel said Carlos Iraburo's knockout of Michael Kirkham at this past Saturday's "Confrontation at the Convocation Center" wasn't unlike thousands of fights he'd seen before. Greubel, who trained Iraburo and was in his corner during the fight, also said that the event, which took place at the USC Aiken Convocation Center in Aiken, S.C., was well-managed by its promoters and athletic commission officials. Greubel said Iraburo usually fights at 145 pounds and came up in weight to fight Kirkham. However, the 6-foot-9 Kirkham did not look he had cut weight for the 150-pound catchweight contest. "I saw him at the weigh-ins, and he looked skinny then," Greubel said. "But he looked exactly the same the next day. He didn't look like gained very much weight at all. I think that was just the way the guy was built." The knockout came after a "very short fight." "This wasn't a brutal beating," Greubel said. "Carlos shot in (and) took [Kirkham] down. They were scrambling on the ground. Kirkham was trying to get back up by wall-walking up the cage; he had his right hand on the ground. Carlos hit him with a few left hands in a row, and that was it. Michael was knocked out.
"The referee jumped in when he should have. Carlos immediately stopped. There were no punches after the referee stoppage. We figured for sure the guy would come to in a few seconds, and he just never did." Greubel said Kirkham was taken out of the cage in a gurney and did not see him afterward.
The South Carolina State Athletic Commission issued a press release today that stated it plans to launch an internal review of the incident, though it confirmed that Kirkham carried a professional fight license going into the event. "Because it is under investigation, the commission cannot release any further information at this time," the statement read. Greubel plans hold a fundraiser and set up a Paypal account to accept donations, which will go to Kirkham's family. He said Kirkham did not have life insurance and has five children. Greubel said Iraburo, who also works for a supplement company that caters to MMA fighters, is taking time off.

Article

Post #1   6/29/10 8:07:25PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,566-910
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
really tragic. I feel for his family. But a guy who's 6'9 should not be weighing 150. He should never have been in the ring at that weight. It's not healthy.

Post #2   6/29/10 8:17:02PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:

Posted by bjj1605

really tragic. I feel for his family. But a guy who's 6'9 should not be weighing 150. He should never have been in the ring at that weight. It's not healthy.

I agree. I mean I'm just over 160lbs and I'm only 6' tall. People tell me I'm skinny all the time even though by the BMI scale that is exactly the weight you should be at 6' tall. 6'9 and 150lbs?? This guy must put Corey Hill to shame. That's not healthy. That's not even close to an acceptable BMI range. (Not that BMI is a great indicator, but in this case it can be used as a general rule of thumb)

Fat is very important for the development of the brain in youth and also for dealing with inflammation in the body. I can't help but wonder if from this, scientifically, we'll learn something about the ability to withstand concussive force to the brain as a result of increased body fat. I'm also very surprised that without body fat this guy was able to train at a pace acceptable to turn professional.

What this sounds like it is going to come down to is gross oversight on the part of the commission and this fighter's trainers. I hate to jump to conclusions but 6'9" tall and 150 lbs immediately jumps out to someone as unhealthy... even if they're not trained in medicine or fitness. There is no sport I can think of in which there is an elite athlete that is 6'9" tall and 150 lbs. It's just not right and the commission should have recognized that fact IMO.

I am very sorry for this man's family. I just find it very hard to look past the incredibly disturbing facts that have come out so far.

Post #3   6/29/10 8:30:52PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Chips:
Not to mention a combat sport where you're taking blows to the head. I mean... it would be one thing for a basketball player or something.

I was thinking this might have something to do with bone density. If you look at Corey Hill he had considerably thinner bones than most adult males. That probably contributed to his injury. If this guys skull was less dense than usual that could have contributed to his death. Not that I'm a doctor or anything, it just got me thinking.

I was trying to find a picture of this guy, but no luck. Again, I feel for him and this is truly a tragedy. I don't mean for my curiosity to portray a lack of empathy. It's just that Corey Hill was a skeleton and this guy was 5in taller and fought at a weight class 10lbs lower.

I'm just under 6'6 and weigh about 205. I'm pretty thin. I don't think I could physically get below 165 or so even if I dieted hardcore and cut massive weight. I've only got about 5% body fat as it is. Maybe if I spent some time in space and let my muscles waste away? IDK but it's almost hard to believe that this isn't a misprint.

Post #4   6/29/10 8:44:00PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,869-1,573
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by bjj1605

I was trying to find a picture of this guy, but no luck.

Image Attachment(s):

Photo Attachment 1

Post #5   6/29/10 8:58:58PM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:
kirkham picture

Post #6   6/29/10 9:41:59PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:

Posted by Aether

kirkham picture

Doesn't look as bad as I thought he would. Still, you can tell he has next to 0 body fat. He's got a lot more muscle mass than I figured he would, tho.

Post #7   6/29/10 10:06:31PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Chips:
he's pretty tiny.... and his head looks unusually small. An remember that picture isn't in perspective. I think if you say him next to any other 6'9 fighter, or even any other 6'9 human being, it would make him look that much smaller.

Post #8   6/29/10 10:43:23PM   

RearNakedJoke

In Full Mount

RearNakedJoke Avatar

Career:1,226-867
Chips:
corey hill is 6'4" and he looks crazy thin. it's hard to fathom this guy is 6'9 and 150.

I feel bad for the guys family. just my opinion but judging from his physique and his amateur record he shouldnt have been fighting.

Post #9   6/29/10 11:22:53PM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Career:2,077-1,253
Chips:
The thing with being that tall in a combat sport is that every punch that hits you is coming from the floor upwards. Guys who are insanely tall for their weight classes tend to have "glass jaws" not because they actually can't take a hit, but every punch is like getting jacked with an uppercut. Theres a guy around Kirkham's size who fought in KOTC and he had about 11 one punch KO losses on his record. Some people just aren't built to be fighters, and that's one of those frames.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts
Cage Rage 23 - 6th in Pts
Secondary League Season 3 - 12th in Pts
Secondary League Season 7 - 16th in Wagers
Primary League Season 7 - 26th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 6 - 30th in Pts
Secondary League Season 1 - 31st in Pts
Primary League Season 6 - 39th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 7 - 41st in Pts

Post #10   6/30/10 12:50:12AM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Svartorm

The thing with being that tall in a combat sport is that every punch that hits you is coming from the floor upwards. Guys who are insanely tall for their weight classes tend to have "glass jaws" not because they actually can't take a hit, but every punch is like getting jacked with an uppercut. Theres a guy around Kirkham's size who fought in KOTC and he had about 11 one punch KO losses on his record. Some people just aren't built to be fighters, and that's one of those frames.

This is pretty much the opposite of the truth actually. Fighters who are taller tend to have an advantage because shorter fighters have to punch up at them. The increased effort of having to fight gravity is enough to take away that extra bit of power. On the flip side the taller fighter can punch down and has gravity on his side, this means he has to exert less effort and his punches have more power on them.

Post #11   6/30/10 1:13:13AM