Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Strikeforce open to Werdum-Emelianenko II; exec says pay-per-view still an option

Print  
Posted By Message

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,310-1,223
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
SAN JOSE, Calif. – There were some MMA observers who believed prior to Saturday night's "Strikeforce and M-1 Global: Fedor vs. Werdum" event that a Fedor Emelianenko loss would signal the beginning of the end for both Strikeforce and M-1 Global.

But after Fabrcio Werdum shocked the world – not to mention Emelianenko – with a 69-second submission victory, Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker said nothing could be further from the truth.

In fact, while a bout between Emelianenko and Strikeforce heavyweight champion Alistair Overeem had been targeted for a future pay-per-view event, Coker thinks a rematch between "The Last Emperor" and Werdum may now prove to be the more lucrative matchup.

LINK

Post #1   6/28/10 8:14:33AM   

marcus1

Learning to Sprawl

Career:137-112
Chips:
With Strikeforce's logic shouldn't Fedor be fighting for the title next?

Post #2   6/28/10 8:43:49AM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:
Well thats one way to spin it.....What isn't Werdum worthy of Alistar? He has to win twice? Then what rubber match Alistar won't fight in Strikeforce for another 2 years.

Post #3   6/28/10 8:52:41AM   

BigIP

Standup Guy

BigIP Avatar

Career:43-35
Chips:
As big a fan I am of Fedor. I think it's only fair Werdum get Overeem next and Fedor fight Big Foot on the same card PPV.

Post #4   6/28/10 9:30:26AM   

RearNakedJoke

In Full Mount

RearNakedJoke Avatar

Career:1,226-867
Chips:
If they make Fedor Werdum 2 over giving Werdum a title shot it will just prove that strikeforce doesnt know what they are doing.

they can now hype Werdum as the man that beat Fedor, Since they clearly dont know how to promote anyone but fighters with big names. Plus if Fedor can beat Big foot and Werdum wins the belt wouldnt a title fight be more fitting for a rematch?

Worst case scenario, Werdum and Fedor both lose and you have the perfect excuse to match them up anyways.

Personally i dont care to see Werdum Fedor 2. It wasnt exactly an exciting match the first time.

Post #5   6/28/10 11:18:38AM   

BigBadAl

In Full Mount

BigBadAl Avatar

Career:408-321
Chips:

Posted by RearNakedJoke

If they make Fedor Werdum 2 over giving Werdum a title shot it will just prove that strikeforce doesnt know what they are doing.

they can now hype Werdum as the man that beat Fedor, Since they clearly dont know how to promote anyone but fighters with big names. Plus if Fedor can beat Big foot and Werdum wins the belt wouldnt a title fight be more fitting for a rematch?

Worst case scenario, Werdum and Fedor both lose and you have the perfect excuse to match them up anyways.

Personally i dont care to see Werdum Fedor 2. It wasnt exactly an exciting match the first time.

Took the words right out of my mouth.

Post #6   6/28/10 11:22:39AM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,550-903
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
This is a horrible decision. It's the same thing they did with Cung Le and Scot Smith. It's like they want to rewrite history in the favor of the fighter they feel "should have won."

This hurts the legitimacy of their promotion.

Werdum deserves the title shot. Fedor should fight Bigfoot. If Werdum and Fedor both win, the rematch would be a SF PPV I'd have to order.

Post #7   6/28/10 11:44:38AM   

seanfu

BANNED

seanfu Avatar

Career:233-122
Chips:

Posted by bjj1605

This is a horrible decision. It's the same thing they did with Cung Le and Scot Smith. It's like they want to rewrite history in the favor of the fighter they feel "should have won."

Werdum deserves the title shot. Fedor should fight Bigfoot. If Werdum and Fedor both win, the rematch would be a SF PPV I'd have to order.

UFC just did it with Shogun, BJ, and I'm sure if Kos beats GSP it'll be rematch time.

Don't you know, politics have taken over and numbers are all that matter.

Post #8   6/28/10 12:38:32PM   

machodog76

MMA Sensei

machodog76 Avatar

Career:2,677-1,658
Camp: country KO
Chips:
But BJ and Shogun's losses were very close decicions with Shogun's being a robbery by most accounts. This was a very clear submission victory. I think the UFC rematches make sense, Werdum-Emelianenko II makes none. At least not before Werdum gets a title shot.

Post #9   6/28/10 1:10:27PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Career:534-389
Chips:

Posted by machodog76
I think the UFC rematches make sense, Werdum-Emelianenko II makes none. At least not before Werdum gets a title shot.

So, Tito vs. Shamrock 3 and (What was supposed to be and still could be) Tito vs. Chuck 3 made sense? Sometimes you follow the money.

Post #10   6/28/10 3:15:47PM   

BigIP

Standup Guy

BigIP Avatar

Career:43-35
Chips:

Posted by BigBadAl

Posted by RearNakedJoke

Took the words right out of my mouth.

Based on Fedor's accomplishments he deserves a rematch. The UFC keeps giving Randy a title shot based on his past performances. Heck, Fedor could lose 3 in a row and still deserve a title shot based on his 28-0 history. Werdum should avenge his lost to AA. The JDS knockout was the best thing to happen to Werdum. Sometimes a lost is really better for you...

Post #11   6/28/10 3:34:57PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,550-903
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by machodog76

But BJ and Shogun's losses were very close decicions with Shogun's being a robbery by most accounts. This was a very clear submission victory. I think the UFC rematches make sense, Werdum-Emelianenko II makes none. At least not before Werdum gets a title shot.

exactly, close decisions. not finishes like werdum and scott smith. and both were for the title

Post #12   6/28/10 4:58:28PM   

machodog76

MMA Sensei

machodog76 Avatar

Career:2,677-1,658
Camp: country KO
Chips:
Tito vs Shamrock 2 was an early stopage, so even though I didn't think Ken had a chance in hell I thought he deserved the rematch and it made sense. Chuck vs Tito doesn't make sense but I'd watch it. Combat sports are always about making the most exciting matchups, getting ratings and PPV numbers first and foremost. Unfortunatly this doesn't always mean you get to see the number #1 face the #2. All that aside I definitely want to see Verdum vs Overeem more, and i think it needs to happen to give strikeforce any legitimacy as a top organization.

Last edited 6/29/10 12:25AM server time by machodog76
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #13   6/28/10 8:11:59PM   

RearNakedJoke

In Full Mount

RearNakedJoke Avatar

Career:1,226-867
Chips:

Posted by seanfu

Posted by bjj1605

UFC just did it with Shogun, BJ, and I'm sure if Kos beats GSP it'll be rematch time.

Don't you know, politics have taken over and numbers are all that matter.

BJ v Edgar and shogun v Machida 1 were both extremely close decisions, the outcome of both have been hotly debated.

did Fedor not tap 2 minutes into his fight with Werdum? that fight wasnt even close.

Post #14   7/2/10 2:40:02AM