Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Indie music... anyone?

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

sfhdsa

Learning to Sprawl

sfhdsa Avatar

Career:41-29
Chips:
So I'm just curious, is there anybody else here that listens to indie music?

I love the genre and I'm wondering if this thread could spark some good conversation about everyone's favorite bands and any dialogue about it.

Some of the bands I listen to regularly: The Organ, The Arcade Fire, Regina Spektor, The Hold Steady, controller.controller, Gorillaz, Death From Above 1979...

Post #1   4/18/07 1:05:03AM   

loller90278

BANNED

loller90278 Avatar

Career:384-262
Chips:
i dont know what classifies as indie but some of the bands i have liked before in the past are cursive and the faint

Post #2   4/18/07 2:12:08AM   

We_Todd_Did

Standup Guy

We_Todd_Did Avatar

Career:205-129
Chips:

Posted by sfhdsa

So I'm just curious, is there anybody else here that listens to indie music?

I love the genre and I'm wondering if this thread could spark some good conversation about everyone's favorite bands and any dialogue about it.

Some of the bands I listen to regularly: The Organ, The Arcade Fire, Regina Spektor, The Hold Steady, controller.controller, Gorillaz, Death From Above 1979...

Gorillaz are still considered indie?

Haven't listened to most of the others, but I've got DFA 1979's "You're a Woman, I'm a Machine".Good stuff, pretty original.My cousin swears they're gonna be huge....jury is still out on that one.

Post #3   4/18/07 5:32:10AM   

nate22

Belt Contender

nate22 Avatar

Career:52-35
Chips:
Gorillaz are not Indie mate, they are a good band though dont get me wrong.

I've not heard of any of the other bands, but do like Oasis, Charlatans, Hi Fi, etc, who are all in same genre albeit British.

Post #4   4/18/07 6:09:05AM   

ManBeast

MMA Regular

ManBeast Avatar

Career:384-226
Camp: JT WarWagon
Chips:
eh, I'm midly a fan of indie music, mostly because I can listen to it no matter what mood I'm in.

technically indie music just means anyone who isnt signed on a major label or if you trace down to it's roots, old folk music. It isnt really a genre with a certain sound which most people mistake it for.

based on today's intreptation of indie my list follows: flaming lips, old 97's,ben folds five, ben kweller(sp?), the shins, a few select songs by rilo kiley ( I know, I know its a total girl band) or basically any band I hear on the local college station.

I would mention old death cab and postal service and also ok go, but I'm sure everyone and their dog has already heard them.

Post #5   4/18/07 6:21:26AM   

nate22

Belt Contender

nate22 Avatar

Career:52-35
Chips:

Posted by ManBeast

eh, I'm midly a fan of indie music, mostly because I can listen to it no matter what mood I'm in.

technically indie music just means anyone who isnt signed on a major label or if you trace down to it's roots, old folk music. It isnt really a genre with a certain sound which most people mistake it for.

based on today's intreptation of indie my list follows: flaming lips, old 97's,ben folds five, ben kweller(sp?), the shins, a few select songs by rilo kiley ( I know, I know its a total girl band) or basically any band I hear on the local college station.

I would mention old death cab and postal service and also ok go, but I'm sure everyone and their dog has already heard them.

I'm also big Ben Folds fan and Flaming Lips are pretty entertaining.

Post #6   4/18/07 6:43:13AM   

crimethinc

MMA Regular

crimethinc Avatar

Career:81-61
Camp: Camp Baby Dumpster
Chips:
I hate the term "indie" as a genre. People refer to any band release on an independent label as an "indie" band regardless of what genre the music is. Plus, most of the people I know who claim to be "indie" fans are just self-righteous elitists who listen to "indie music" for the indie part rather then the music part. No offense intended.

Post #7   4/18/07 11:13:43AM   

Mastodon2

MMA Sensei

Mastodon2 Avatar

Career:188-114
Chips:
I dont like "indie " as whole, but the Killers and Razorlight are awesome.

The Faint arent indie, or anything remotely close tbh, but they are mint also.

Post #8   4/18/07 11:55:47AM   

hcazlekker

Banned

Career:34-26
Chips:

Posted by crimethinc

Plus, most of the people I know who claim to be "indie" fans are just self-righteous elitists who listen to "indie music" for the indie part rather then the music part. No offense intended.

they're called "scenesters,"

i like most of the bands listed so far though.

Post #9   4/18/07 12:23:58PM   

sfhdsa

Learning to Sprawl

sfhdsa Avatar

Career:41-29
Chips:

Posted by We_Todd_Did

Gorillaz are still considered indie?

Haven't listened to most of the others, but I've got DFA 1979's "You're a Woman, I'm a Machine".Good stuff, pretty original.My cousin swears they're gonna be huge....jury is still out on that one.

I'd call the Gorillaz indie but its a pretty vague term in describing music.

And I hate to break it to you but Death From Above are no more, they broke up a while ago. Which sucks but I wouldn't be surprised if they got back together.

And you should check out their remix album. Freaking awesome.

Post #10   4/18/07 5:01:42PM   

ManBeast

MMA Regular

ManBeast Avatar

Career:384-226
Camp: JT WarWagon
Chips:

Posted by crimethinc

I hate the term "indie" as a genre. People refer to any band release on an independent label as an "indie" band regardless of what genre the music is. Plus, most of the people I know who claim to be "indie" fans are just self-righteous elitists who listen to "indie music" for the indie part rather then the music part. No offense intended.

same here, indie is like the disco of today.

hipsters are annoying, "you arent that special just because you listen to sigur ros dude, Ive heard em too," doesnt mean im going get an asexual haircut and wear girl pants.

Post #11   4/18/07 9:15:56PM   

Lay_N_Pray

In Full Mount

Lay_N_Pray Avatar

Career:253-130
Camp: TAPOUT
Chips:
I like hard heavy rock...not screaming, but rock.

Tool, Queens of the Stone Age, Black Stone Cherry, Alter Bridge (Tremonti is godly), Velvet Revolver, Silvertide, Avenged Sevenfold (City of Evil), Black Label Society.

Those are some great bands right there, just because they are "popular" does not mean they suck. So indie bands should just stop being so indie and make some money.

Post #12   4/19/07 7:18:01PM   

mrsumo

Standup Guy

mrsumo Avatar

Career:270-233
Camp: Team Bullshido
Chips:
I worked for a long time at a nightclub in portland that had indie bands all the time. Some of it sounded pretty good, but there were many nights where I couldn't beleive people even showed up. It seemed like most of the people went to the shows just to say they went to the show. It was a crazy mix of hipsters, shoegazers, and mods standing around sipping on pabst and feeling important. Luckily we had other kinds of music coming through all the time.

Some of the better shows I worked including different genres:

Lyrics Born
KRS1
My Morning Jacket
Talkdemonic
Snow Patrol
The Killers
Slightly Stoopid

There were others that weren't too horrible. But the majority of the shows were pretty bad. I think Portland is high on the list to be Indie capital of the world.

Post #13   4/19/07 11:46:39PM   

bayonetxwork

In Full Mount

bayonetxwork Avatar

Career:114-60
Camp: TUFFS Fight Club
Chips:
I like some Futureheads, Kasbian, and As Tall as Lions.

I also love a great amount of Rap, Death Metal, Grindcore, Techno Screamo, and Pop. I got a pretty interesting taste in music.

Post #14   4/23/07 7:27:07PM   

GettinsomeBas

MMA Regular

GettinsomeBas Avatar

Career:698-455
Camp: Zulu Fight Team
Chips:
Do the Artic Monkeys count? I enjoy there Album "favorite worst Nightmare' a lot

Post #15   8/31/12 2:36:39PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2