Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Pride and Glory

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,522-1,450
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
link

This article follows the first pride GP that happened in 2000. It's a really long read but it covers things from all angles and most of the guys involved had a say in it. If you never got to see the GP, or the movie The Smashing Machine, or haven't been a fan long enough to have seen the old pride days this is a great read. honestly, i think this is the best sherdog article ive ever read, brings back a lot of memories. enjoy guys!

Post #1   6/23/10 1:34:36PM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,284-1,206
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
I don't understand why there's a picture from a Brewer's game in the article?

Last edited 6/23/10 1:37PM server time by emfleek
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #2   6/23/10 1:37:15PM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,522-1,450
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
i included a pic of myself, sorry.

Post #3   6/23/10 1:38:20PM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,284-1,206
Chips:
Good stuff.

For the first time in modern mixed martial arts, a Gracie had given up -- but only after 90 minutes of fighting. With each round 15 minutes, the two had essentially fought six regulation-period fights in a row.

Image Attachment(s):

Photo Attachment 1

Post #4   6/23/10 1:41:52PM   

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:
I guess the first 9-10 UFCs weren't considered "modern" MMA then, because to me the first time is/was UFC 3 when Royce's corner threw in the towel before the fight began.

Post #5   6/23/10 1:44:19PM   

RearNakedJoke

In Full Mount

RearNakedJoke Avatar

Career:1,226-867
Chips:

Posted by DCRage

I guess the first 9-10 UFCs weren't considered "modern" MMA then, because to me the first time is/was UFC 3 when Royce's corner threw in the towel before the fight began.

i agree.

Post #6   6/23/10 3:26:08PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Career:534-389
Chips:
That article was pretty damn cool, unfortunately I have to spread the love.

Post #7   6/23/10 3:36:52PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,746-1,521
Chips:

Posted by DCRage

If Royce had been found unfit to fight and had a replacement face Howard, you couldn't make that connection. We wouldn't say that Wandy is giving up against Sexyama...just the same as Royce wasn't giving up against Howard. The only reason those particular events unfolded the way they did was because they were out of alternates. Shammy pulling out used up the final alternate, so either Royce or Harold had to advance. Royce and Ken basically both pulled out at the same time, but the difference is Royce had to do a solid for his brother. So, on the record books, yes it happened...but I don't think anyone can make an argument for a Gracie giving up in a fight...considering there wasn't even a fight.

Post #8   6/23/10 4:36:47PM   

jiujitsufreak74

,,[],, *******,,[],,

jiujitsufreak74 Avatar

Career:1,056-572
Chips:
amazing and captivating read. really reminds you of the dark days of MMA in Japan. a quote by Inoue really stuck out to me that truly shows the impact of the Yakuza on anything business related in Japan: " If you go to 100 people in America and ask if they have ***** acquaintances, 90 percent of them would probably say no. It’s the opposite here. Maybe 90 percent of people would say, “Oh, I know Yakuza.” I had a Yakuza guy at my house the other night. It’s not a big thing. "

that coupled with all the other testimonies of Yakuza interference really makes you glad that those days are in the past and we have a clearer conscience. this article really does well to give you that behind-the-scenes feel and i wish i could give you props

Post #9   6/23/10 4:47:40PM   

ncordless

MODulation

ncordless Avatar

Career:1,873-1,070
Chips:
This article is awesome. I normally detest Jake Rossen, but if he puts out more stuff like this I will be his biggest fan. Great work and beautifully crafted by using the fighters' own words to tell the story.

Post #10   6/23/10 5:15:40PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,519-891
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Loved the article. I'll never understand why some modern MMA fans insult the Gracie family. You don't have to love everything they do or have ever done, and you don't have to believe that the whole family is a race of fighting gods.

But the fact remains that they had a huge part to play in the early days of the sport. They're responsible for the technical innovation of fighting, the brand of MMA that fans recognize most in MMA, and a whole slew of great fights and rivalries. They have unquestionable heart and seem to be natural born fighters.

Post #11   6/23/10 8:00:50PM   

theruler_

MMA Regular

theruler_ Avatar

Career:47-28
Chips:

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by DCRage

If Royce had been found unfit to fight and had a replacement face Howard, you couldn't make that connection. We wouldn't say that Wandy is giving up against Sexyama...just the same as Royce wasn't giving up against Howard. The only reason those particular events unfolded the way they did was because they were out of alternates. Shammy pulling out used up the final alternate, so either Royce or Harold had to advance. Royce and Ken basically both pulled out at the same time, but the difference is Royce had to do a solid for his brother. So, on the record books, yes it happened...but I don't think anyone can make an argument for a Gracie giving up in a fight...considering there wasn't even a fight.

it also ensured royce would recieve 4th place prize money

Post #12   6/23/10 11:03:01PM   

jimmypockets

ThE ThIcKFrEAkNeSS

jimmypockets Avatar

Career:1,090-730
Camp: RuStY CaGe FiGhT TeAm
Chips:
The greatest part of the whole Grand Prix Kazushi Sakuraba. Even after the 90 minute fight with Royce Gracie, he came back and gave Igor Vovchanchyn a good fight. That is why Kazushi Sakuraba, in my opinion, is one of the greatest "Warriors" to ever fight.

The other big thing that stood out for me in the 2000 GP was Kazayuki Fujita vs. Mark Kerr. I still get angry watching the Fujita vs. Kerr fight due to Maurice Smith constantly saying "Fujita really doesn't have a chance" while Fujita dominates Kerr basically the entire fight.

XB Live Gamertags- J1mMy PoCkEtS, Th3 Barncat

Post #13   6/23/10 11:36:25PM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:
This was interesting

With everything, all the supplements, God knows what he took -- I was never impressed with that. When you gas out, people don’t realize that what really gasses are your abs. When your abs gas, they pop out and build up lactic acid. You can’t breathe anymore because your abs are pushing your lungs. That’s why you see those big, muscular guys get strong and then hit the wall after three minutes.

Post #14   6/24/10 12:27:57AM   

aristipe

MMA Regular

Career:-
Chips:
Without the Gracies, a Mhua Thay fighter would have won UFC 1, and jiu jitsu or grappling in general might not have become as big in MMA as it is today.

Post #15   6/24/10 1:43:41PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2