Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Fedor Became A Thorn In UFC's Side

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:
So he says. "UFC is a money making machine. The most important thing for this organization is a brand and it's marketing. They have a couple of good fighters and there are also some very good champions; but they are trying to keep everyone at the same level. The most important thing for them is the promotion, not the fighters. I think that they lack a respect for their fighters. As for me, I became a thorn in their side... We are constantly negotiating, but only during recent time the Americans began to show some respect. The dialogue between us is completely different right now. They are more interested in our opinion."

Article

Post #1   6/22/10 2:11:43PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Career:534-389
Chips:
This Fedor-Dana thing has become Days of Our Lives. Same recycled plotline, been on the air for as long as I can remember, and nothing ever gets resolved.

Post #2   6/22/10 3:44:20PM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:
Fedor should realize that this money-making machine is exactly what has made MMA into the fastest growing sport in the world which has allowed the fighters to start earning more money and make a legitimate career out of their sport.

Sometimes the ends do justify the means. If a little negative spin on the advertising and a business model that worries about... shocking - keeping the business in business - are what will allow the sport to grow then this is ultimately what is best for the fighters.

No UFC, no mainstream MMA, no money for fighters, no way Fedor is making millions of dollars no matter how great he is. Being annoyed at their attitude in negotiations is one thing, criticizing a business model and advertising system that has made the sport what it now is is another, and it's stupid. This is how the real world works, businesses don't succeed by being shining beacons of morality, fairness and equality.

Post #3   6/22/10 3:48:26PM   

BigIP

Standup Guy

BigIP Avatar

Career:43-35
Chips:
I agree with Fedor the UFC is a marketing machine and concerned more with the promotion of itself . But who can really blame them? They are squeezing the blood and sweat out of these fighters and making a lot of money when only a few are paid really well. Dana keeps saying SF is the minor leagues. He's wrong because in the minors you get paid squat. If the UFC want to be the Majors they need to start paying their fighters a lot more then 5-20K for fights. The fighters need a union...

Post #4   6/22/10 3:50:43PM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Chips:
Also, I don't know if Fedor has noticed, but every single other MMA promotion he's ever fought for has gone bankrupt. The UFC is the only successful organization that exists, there's a reason.

Post #5   6/22/10 3:51:11PM   

shawneth

MMA Regular

shawneth Avatar

Career:397-201
Chips:

Posted by BigIP

I agree with Fedor the UFC is a marketing machine and concerned more with the promotion of itself . But who can really blame them? They are squeezing the blood and sweat out of these fighters and making a lot of money when only a few are paid really well. Dana keeps saying SF is the minor leagues. He's wrong because in the minors you get paid squat. If the UFC want to be the Majors they need to start paying their fighters a lot more then 5-20K for fights. The fighters need a union...

As great as a union would be for the fighters. I think it would get way out of hand and fighters would begin demanding for too much, and just go on strike if they don't get it. Thing about unions is, they fight for their clients no matter if the clients are way wrong or not.

Post #6   6/22/10 4:17:13PM   

ncordless

MODulation

ncordless Avatar

Career:1,842-1,052
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by Aether

Fedor should realize that this money-making machine is exactly what has made MMA into the fastest growing sport in the world which has allowed the fighters to start earning more money and make a legitimate career out of their sport.

Sometimes the ends do justify the means. If a little negative spin on the advertising and a business model that worries about... shocking - keeping the business in business - are what will allow the sport to grow then this is ultimately what is best for the fighters.

No UFC, no mainstream MMA, no money for fighters, no way Fedor is making millions of dollars no matter how great he is. Being annoyed at their attitude in negotiations is one thing, criticizing a business model and advertising system that has made the sport what it now is is another, and it's stupid. This is how the real world works, businesses don't succeed by being shining beacons of morality, fairness and equality.

To be fair, Fedor was making good money as a full time mma fighter before the UFC was anything but a niche market with less than half of the top talent.

Obviously, the sport and the business of mma has changed a ton since then, but Fedor didn't really benefit from the UFC-takeover of mma like many of the rest of the fighters have.

Post #7   6/22/10 4:44:15PM   

BigIP

Standup Guy

BigIP Avatar

Chips:

Posted by shawneth

Posted by BigIP

As great as a union would be for the fighters. I think it would get way out of hand and fighters would begin demanding for too much, and just go on strike if they don't get it. Thing about unions is, they fight for their clients no matter if the clients are way wrong or not.

All the major sports associations have them. I love MMA and as an American I strongly believe in competition. Coke has Pepsi, Microsoft has Apple and the UFC has SF. This is what forces them to produce a better product instead of monopolizing the industry which pushes prices up and ultimately hurts the consumer. Think about it. Shortly after the UFC bought Pride the PPV price was raised. We should all support SF because their demise will hurt us in the long run.

Post #8   6/22/10 4:58:45PM   

theruler_

MMA Regular

theruler_ Avatar

Career:47-28
Chips:
over it

Post #9   6/22/10 5:31:08PM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:

Posted by BigIP

Fighter payouts are much more in the UFC than in Strikeforce, simple as that.

Post #10   6/22/10 5:53:18PM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:

Posted by BigIP

Posted by shawneth

Posted by BigIP

All the major sports associations have them. I love MMA and as an American I strongly believe in competition. Coke has Pepsi, Microsoft has Apple and the UFC has SF. This is what forces them to produce a better product instead of monopolizing the industry which pushes prices up and ultimately hurts the consumer. Think about it. Shortly after the UFC bought Pride the PPV price was raised. We should all support SF because their demise will hurt us in the long run.

MMA does not have a governing body though like other sports do, and the UFC is one company, not a company with many different franchises.

Post #11   6/22/10 5:54:28PM   

icantthinkofanything

MMA Sensei

icantthinkofanything Avatar

Career:911-636
Camp: 360 Mafia
Chips:
I think Fedor is trying to use jedi mind tricks to make the fighters and champs turn on Dana. By making DW the enemy saying hes disrespectful, he tries to justify not going to the UFC. I think this is so played out, and neither party needs one another. Fedor should just say, I will never go to the UFC instead of this soap opera imo .

Image Attachment(s):

Photo Attachment 1

Last edited 6/22/10 6:43PM server time by icantthinkofanything
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #12   6/22/10 6:31:33PM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Chips:

Posted by ncordless

Posted by Aether

To be fair, Fedor was making good money as a full time mma fighter before the UFC was anything but a niche market with less than half of the top talent.

Obviously, the sport and the business of mma has changed a ton since then, but Fedor didn't really benefit from the UFC-takeover of mma like many of the rest of the fighters have.

Absolutely he has. There is no possible chance he would be making a fraction of what he makes currently if the UFC hadn't caused the growth in the sport that it has. He definitely was not making close to the million mark before the explosion of MMA around 2004-2005. Also, where would he have gone when PRIDE collapsed if the UFC didn't exist? He didn't go to the UFC, but there's no way that Affliction would have existed, there's no way that strikeforce, or really any other known NA MMA organization would exist on anywhere close to the level they do now, if at all, without the work the UFC has done.

There's just no arguing that any fighter doesn't benefit from the UFC in some way IMO, indirectly or otherwise. They've basically built the sport from the ground up and been the driving force behind laws being reversed all around the world allowing MMA to spread the way it has. If the UFC wasn't the power that it was, none of these other organizations would ever have been able to grow to the point that they have. MMA would still be a relatively small sport with badly struggling communities in Japan and Brazil. Even PRIDE was a beneficiary of the UFC's popularity to a certain degree. How many people outside of Asia would ever have heard about PRIDE without first hearing about the UFC? Would PRIDE ever have put on shows in the US?

I don't think the argument can even be considered that he hasn't benefited from the UFC's massive growth of the sport. Every fighter on earth has in some way or another, whether it be an increase in gyms to train in, increased interest and legitimacy of the sport in general, access to sponsorships and minor leagues springing up everywhere, or things like the UFC setting unprecedented payouts for higher level fighters and generating tons of awareness of other leagues indirectly by promoting their own, driving up prices and interest in fighters on the whole.

Everyone involved in MMA benefits from the UFC. Absolutely everyone, even their competitors, the UFC just benefits more, and that's how a good business works.

Post #13   6/22/10 6:48:59PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Career:534-389
Chips:
I've said this before and I will say it again, Dana and the Fertitta's run an amazing business. I know people bitch about how little they pay their fighters, however, you can turn the kind of profit UFC has without cutting costs somewhere. EliteXC crashed and Affliction crashed. They didn't model their business after the success that Dana has created. Do I think UFC fighters get paid too little? Yes. However, how is this any different from the Wal-mart employees that make minimum wage so that the corporate CEO's can play golf 4 out of the 5 business days? It's not. It's smart business. At the end of the day, it's capitalism at its finest.

The fighters in the UFC don't have to sign those contracts if they feel they are being paid unfairly, but another fighter will come along who's willing to take the pay they weren't. The UFC has a product people want. So, fighters will take the pay they are given and hope that their skill-set will allow them to move up to a higher pay grade. At the end of the day, the fighters, even mid-level, in the UFC still make a good amount. Locker-room bonus, KOTN, SOTN, FOTN, etc...couple that with their sponsorships deals and I can promise you that they aren't hurting as badly as people think they are.

The UFC has a great and proven business model. I'm not talking about how people feel about Dana or his treatment of the fighters, I am talking business. His business is thriving. Say what you want about the man, his model of business is incredible.

Post #14   6/22/10 8:07:23PM   

BigIP

Standup Guy

BigIP Avatar

Chips:

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

I've said this before and I will say it again, Dana and the Fertitta's run an amazing business. I know people bitch about how little they pay their fighters, however, you can turn the kind of profit UFC has without cutting costs somewhere. EliteXC crashed and Affliction crashed. They didn't model their business after the success that Dana has created. Do I think UFC fighters get paid too little? Yes. However, how is this any different from the Wal-mart employees that make minimum wage so that the corporate CEO's can play golf 4 out of the 5 business days? It's not. It's smart business. At the end of the day, it's capitalism at its finest.

The fighters in the UFC don't have to sign those contracts if they feel they are being paid unfairly, but another fighter will come along who's willing to take the pay they weren't. The UFC has a product people want. So, fighters will take the pay they are given and hope that their skill-set will allow them to move up to a higher pay grade. At the end of the day, the fighters, even mid-level, in the UFC still make a good amount. Locker-room bonus, KOTN, SOTN, FOTN, etc...couple that with their sponsorships deals and I can promise you that they aren't hurting as badly as people think they are.

The UFC has a great and proven business model. I'm not talking about how people feel about Dana or his treatment of the fighters, I am talking business. His business is thriving. Say what you want about the man, his model of business is incredible.

Pat Berry was eating rice and ketchup for God's sake. If he loses the Hardonk fight he would have been in dire straights. For the life of me I can't understand people cheering the ruthless business model of the UFC.

Post #15   6/22/10 9:12:54PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2