Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Dana White on GSP-Silva: 'I Guess I'm Gonna Have to Do It'

Print  
  Page 2 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,916-1,066
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Anderson said he wouldnt have a problem cutting the weight. If he doesnt have a problem with it, niether do I. I just doubt Anderson would defend the WW title at all.

Post #16   6/22/10 12:45:43PM   

GSPCanada

Standup Guy

Career:637-415
Chips:
this fight probably would need to be at a catchweight, although the idea of it going 5 rounds is obviously better.

I see it happening, especially because dana is out of contenders in both weight classes.

Anderson is the favourite but this fight probably won't happen until march or april due to the st.pierre and koscheck fight. alot can change in a year, I think GSP is yet to hit his prime based on his age, and by then anderson silva might start slowing down

Post #17   6/22/10 12:52:13PM   

Taylor8766

Belt Contender

Taylor8766 Avatar

Career:740-512
Camp: East Coast Pitbulls
Chips:
i think that GSP would beat Silva , he has speed, power, wrestling and better Cardio than Silva, I see GSp taking this b 2nd round TKOn GNP

Post #18   6/22/10 1:45:07PM   

icantthinkofanything

MMA Sensei

icantthinkofanything Avatar

Career:911-636
Camp: 360 Mafia
Chips:

Posted by bjj1605

Posted by icantthinkofanything

please happen!!! and at 170 especially. GSP is not a mw no matter how good or big guys think he is. GSP had the advantage over Bj, just like Silva would have on GSP at 185 or higher. To make it fair (since Silva wants to drop) GSP should get to fight at his weightclass cause he is smaller.

This could be coming out now because Fedor is "possibly considering retirement" and GSP-Silva is the big 1 everyone wants , outside of Fedor vs Brock, Carwin, Jr, and Cain. I Think DW also may be using this as a way to get Shields for cheaper, by making the point more fans (like me) want a 170 lb fight with GSP and Silva, than Shields vs. anyone.

If Chael wins vs Silva will fans want Chael vs GSP? I would like to find out who the better wrestler is. GSP has a lot more styles of takedowns, where Chael is like Kos, they get that double and run anyone over.

That would absolutely not be fair. Anderson hasn't had to cut that kind of weight since he was a very young man. He would be drawn out and weak. On the other hand, GSP would have to cut very little to make 185 which means he'd probably have even more energy than usual.

It would have to be at 185 or a catchweight.

Anderson wants to do the cut to 170 first fight GSP than move up to HW. I am sure he will make a stop at 205 to fight Rua (which imo is also a superfight) This is what they were talking about during the Silva vs Maia fight. Was I the only one who heard this?

Post #19   6/22/10 2:23:15PM   

noahgenda

Standup Guy

noahgenda Avatar

Career:315-179
Chips:
no, but youre one of like 5 people who believed it

Post #20   6/22/10 2:33:54PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Career:534-389
Chips:
White said it could take place at a variety of weights. 170 wasn't the only option. That being said, GSP can win this fight. I don't think it's going to be as one sided as people believe.

Dana is a huge boxing fan and the one fight all boxing fans want is Pacquiao vs. Mayweather to determine the number 1 p4p fighter in boxing. That being said Anderson vs. GSP is MMA's only possible equivalent to this. Why wouldn't he do it? It makes total sense.

Post #21   6/22/10 3:35:59PM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,600-1,486
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

White said it could take place at a variety of weights. 170 wasn't the only option. That being said, GSP can win this fight. I don't think it's going to be as one sided as people believe.

Dana is a huge boxing fan and the one fight all boxing fans want is Pacquiao vs. Mayweather to determine the number 1 p4p fighter in boxing. That being said Anderson vs. GSP is MMA's only possible equivalent to this. Why wouldn't he do it? It makes total sense.

from a fans perspective, but either way one of the 2 most dominant fighters he has in his stable would take a loss and i think thats why hes hesitant.

i have to think gsp has a pretty good chance to win this by fighting a smart fight, but its so hard to pick against anderson, especially when he has a legit size advantage. id probably waffle on this one until the day of the fight TBH, its just a great hypothetical matchup.

Post #22   6/22/10 4:50:26PM   

Jride

Standup Guy

Jride Avatar

Career:864-583
Chips:
If this fight is at 170, Im picking GSP UD.. That cut would drain Anderson.

If this fight is at a catchweight or at 185, Its a more of a 50/50 fight. But I honestly see GSP UD'ing Anderson.

Post #23   6/22/10 5:19:55PM   

tdietel01

Standup Guy

tdietel01 Avatar

Career:83-44
Camp: OHIO TOP TEAM
Chips:
I find it hard to pick against either! I guess it would be possible for a draw lol. I will pick GSP in this one cause i think Anderson feels like he is unstoppable at the moment. IMO perhaps the same place GSP was in when he lost to serra. I think that will be the difference. GSP knows he can be beat and will fight and train really smart. Anderson thinks he is king of the MMA gods and probably wont train as hard or fight as smart. I think the spider is gonna get his reality check if this fight happens!

Post #24   6/22/10 5:20:58PM   

BigIP

Standup Guy

BigIP Avatar

Career:43-35
Chips:
I don't think this is great match up. Yeah it will sell but I would much rather see Mir or Shogun fight Silva. Size does matter, just ask BJ and Urijah...

Post #25   6/22/10 5:25:14PM   

decken

Standup Guy

decken Avatar

Career:471-314
Chips:
I think Anderson is going to get into some serious trouble once he has to face a good collegiate style wrestler. It will be much like Anderson's first round against hendo (but worse since hendo is not know for his take downs).

Post #26   6/22/10 7:44:25PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Career:534-389
Chips:

Posted by cowcatcher

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

from a fans perspective, but either way one of the 2 most dominant fighters he has in his stable would take a loss and i think thats why hes hesitant.

i have to think gsp has a pretty good chance to win this by fighting a smart fight, but its so hard to pick against anderson, especially when he has a legit size advantage. id probably waffle on this one until the day of the fight TBH, its just a great hypothetical matchup.

Yeah, but a loss that really wouldn't affect anything. Actually, Mayweather has more to lose than Pacquiao in that fight because he's undefeated. This isn't the case with Anderson or GSP. I don't think that either one of these fighters losing would put them on notice to anyone in the UFC. They're still the two best fighters that the UFC has, bar none. Ultimately, I don't think the fans would care if someone lost, (unless they were a nuthugger), but even then, I still think that Anderson nuthuggers and GSP nuthuggers would want this fight and respect the outcome either way.

From a business perspective, this also makes a HUGE amount of sense. The buys for this would be through the roof. Even a three round catchweight fight between these two would outsell any title fight they've ever had by a large margin.

They could charge $69.95 for this card, throw in an undercard of:

Co-Main Event: Goulet vs. Loiseau

Kenneth Allen vs. Shannon Rich

Cabbage Correira vs. Christian Wellisch

Norman Paraisy vs. Xavier Foupa-Pokam

And I'd still buy it. I'm sure a bunch of people would. That is why you make this fight. Every fight that GSP and Anderson have is a danger of one of their top fighters taking a loss. They might as well lose fighting each other.

Post #27   6/22/10 8:22:57PM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Chips:
i get that theres always the danger of one of them losing when they fight, the thing is in this fight one is guaranteed to lose.

im not saying it wouldnt sell, it would. its just that when you have 2 guys that are that dominant they can both sell PPV buys separately. looking back though, anderson hasnt really been a top draw like GSP, randy, chuck, etc., and a PPV against GSP would almost definitely have a bigger buy rate than any fight hes been in before. i guess what im saying is that its easier as a fan to see how much sense it makes than it does as the president of a company that stands to lose luster on one of his top two dogs, even though both guys will still be considered great afterwards anyway. i can see why dana is hesitant to make it happen, but he does surely still stand to make a boatload of cash on the fight if/when it happens.

part of me also thinks dana doesnt want to see GSP lose to anderson because he doesnt know how long silva wants to keep doing this and it doesnt seem that GSP is thinking about walking away anytime soon so hed like to keep the flies off long term guy.

Post #28   6/23/10 1:15:37AM   

lohmann

A Black Belt in Jiu-Jitsu

lohmann Avatar

Career:1,674-908
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
I think how Silva fares against Sonnen's takedowns and top control will tell the story of how a potential superfight between Anderson and GSP goes.

I think Silva would put GSP away, but I think GSP is a smart enough fighter to try and use his bread and butter to put away what would be the stiffest test of his career.

Post #29   6/23/10 1:29:27AM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Chips:

Posted by lohmann

I think how Silva fares against Sonnen's takedowns and top control will tell the story of how a potential superfight between Anderson and GSP goes.

i think thats a pretty damn good point

Post #30   6/23/10 1:30:28AM   

Page 2 of 3     1     2     3