Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

McSweeney's Camp Wants TUF 11 Finale Loss Overturned, NSAC Head Responds

Print  
  Page 2 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

ChokeUout

In Full Mount

ChokeUout Avatar

Career:446-268
Chips:
yeah, Browne might have gotten a couple in there, but that's not why he lost the fight. Plus, That's not where the bulk of the damage came from.

I've never really liked McSweeny, and I don't plan on starting now after this.

Ad: FanDuel launches Mixup daily fantasy sports for casual fans

Post #16   6/21/10 10:59:36PM   

Jride

Standup Guy

Jride Avatar

Career:952-645
Camp: K-1 Level Posters
Chips:

Posted by bjj1605

Really bad sportsmanship by McSweeney and his camp here. Even if a couple of blows did land to the back of the head it was likely more because McSweeney was moving around than because his opponent was targeting the back of the head. The real reason for that rule is because you don't want fighters getting hit at the base of the neck where the spine meets the skull.

The cut on McSweeney was obviously on the skull, not the soft area at the base of the spine. Anything that hits the skull should be legal anyway. The reason they can't say "It's illegal to hit the base of the spine" is because that leaves too much room for accidents. Saying "It's illegal to hit the back of the head" insures that no one hits the spine. It's like saying it's illegal to hit the belly button but not the belly, just too precise.

Anyway, despite my ramble, I didn't see anything wrong with the fight and this is really just cry baby stuff from McSweeny.

Edit: what this really comes down to is how you define the back of the head. I was starring at that picture. If you go by the 'mo-hawk rule' then this is fine. If you go by the 'headphones rule' then this is questionable. I've never heard of the 2 knuckle rule before but it doesn't seem to make sense.

I couldn't have said it better.. I'd give ya props but it won't let me.

Post #17   6/21/10 11:41:24PM   

RearNakedJoke

In Full Mount

RearNakedJoke Avatar

Career:1,226-867
Chips:
one of the first elbows Brown threw on the ground hit Mcsweeny towards the back of his head and cut him. dont know if there were others but when guys are rolling around its some of those punches hit the back of the head. it happens. doubt it contributed to the end result.

now yeager looked like he took a bunch of punches to the back of the head! but with that afro who could be sure :p

what this really comes down to is how you define the back of the head. I was starring at that picture. If you go by the 'mo-hawk rule' then this is fine. If you go by the 'headphones rule' then this is questionable. I've never heard of the 2 knuckle rule before but it doesn't seem to make sense.

then it comes down to whose fingers. Brock or Carwin would have a very small no-no zone.

i'm not down with that definition.

Last edited 6/22/10 1:38AM server time by rearnakedjoke
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #18   6/22/10 1:34:39AM   

BeeR

MMA Sensei

BeeR Avatar

Career:681-411
Chips:
McSweeney' gonna be serving McMuffins soon.

Post #19   6/22/10 5:59:23AM   

jahdoug

MMA Regular

jahdoug Avatar

Career:376-251
Chips:

Posted by grappler0000

This was kinda what I was thinking after reading the short blurb. There were probably a couple of strikes to the back of the head initially when McSweeney began turtling up, but that happens in pretty much every fight. After a couple of seconds, he was winging every punch around to hit him properly in the face. There was nothing that I haven't seen on probably every single fight card, since as long as I can remember. I don't think the appeal will will last 3 minutes on someone's desk.

Agreed. Plus, McSweeney was rapidly turning his head from side to side, wriggling around to avoid the blows. Travis Browne could swing at one side for his face, and McSweeney could turn and result in a strike to the back of the head. it looked no different than any other fight w/ a mount...some borderline but effort by the top man to avoid fouling.

Post #20   6/22/10 10:36:15AM   

copcopps

Manly Midget

copcopps Avatar

Career:1,398-962
Chips:
I was hearing about this on youtuibe when I watched the fight and I really wanted to know if this was legit and I'm no McSweeney fan but I hardly fighter bash but come on McWeenie, take it like a fighter

Post #21   6/22/10 5:31:42PM   

BustedKnuckle

MMA Sensei

BustedKnuckle Avatar

Career:659-381
Chips:
This is ludacris to me. Mssweeny clearly was outmatched and now is crying about it.

Post #22   6/22/10 6:27:25PM   

tmas

Simply the best!

tmas Avatar

Career:1,469-1,113
Chips:
watching the fight i thought 1 elbow was illegal and an accident and not even the one that cut him....

Rules state no blows back of head blah blah. As a fighter myself and corner man everytime it gets explained to me they say touch where your head meets neck go up a few inches down a few basically draw a small circle......the mohawk thing is accurate you cant hit to the middle of the back of the head everything else is fair game.

Post #23   6/23/10 5:25:31AM   

Page 2 of 2     1     2