Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker believes Jake Shields has overvalued himself

Print  
Posted By Message

sclasclemski

Belt Contender

sclasclemski Avatar

Career:425-289
Camp: THE 486
Chips:
Quoteworthy:

"We continue to have dialogue with his dad, who's his manager, and Rich [Chou], who's our matchmaker. He has a good relationship with Jake and his father, and they've done the numbers dance and they'll continue to do that until Jake makes a decision. But where he is going to end up, who really knows? At the end of the day, Jake has something he feels his value is and we feel the value is in a certain area, and there's a discrepancy there... It has nothing to do with a bidding war, it has to do with, what is the value of the fighter? And the value of the fighter, to me, is based on: does he get great TV ratings? Is he a great fighter? Does he put butts in seats? And every fighter is different. Does he have that X factor to become a superstar. So every athlete we evaluate differently, and most of the time, the fighter feels that their value is slightly higher than the promoter is willing to pay."

Scott Coker makes it clear that what Jake Shields believes he is worth to a MMA promotion, isn't quite on par with what Strikeforce values him at. Coker mentions that aspects involved in evaluating a fighter's worth for his company include how big of a draw they are, something that Shields has never been known for. These sentiments sound eerily similar to how UFC President Dana White described Dan Henderson's before he split for Coker's show. Anybody see this situation playing out differently? Or, is the coffin already nailed shut?

Link

Thast the whole article but I posted the link anyway.

Ad: FanDuel launches Mixup daily fantasy sports for casual fans

Post #1   6/19/10 11:01:11AM   

noahgenda

Standup Guy

noahgenda Avatar

Career:315-179
Chips:
hendo may have over valued himself, but he is definitely a huge draw compared to shields

Post #2   6/19/10 11:28:54AM   

lohmann

A Black Belt in Jiu-Jitsu

lohmann Avatar

Career:1,804-980
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by sclasclemski

Scott Coker makes it clear that what Jake Shields believes he is worth to a MMA promotion, isn't quite on par with what Strikeforce values him at. Coker mentions that aspects involved in evaluating a fighter's worth for his company include how big of a draw they are, something that Shields has never been known for. These sentiments sound eerily similar to how UFC President Dana White described Dan Henderson's before he split for Coker's show. Anybody see this situation playing out differently? Or, is the coffin already nailed shut?

Nope. Shields's value as a great fighter is going to take a bit hit after he drops his first fight in the UFC.

When it comes to value, star power lasts. Shields has the sort of value that will disappear with a loss or two.

Last edited 6/19/10 11:38AM server time by lohmann
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #3   6/19/10 11:37:36AM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
Shields doesnt put buts in the seats and isnt a big draw & still fairly unknown.

UFC already has a guy like shields & his name is Jon Fitch. Shields still needs to work on his stand up b/c right now his style isnt exactly exciting just a grind you out style and get the W.

Post #4   6/19/10 12:02:57PM   

RearNakedJoke

In Full Mount

RearNakedJoke Avatar

Career:1,226-867
Chips:

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

Shields doesnt put buts in the seats and isnt a big draw & still fairly unknown.

UFC already has a guy like shields & his name is Jon Fitch. Shields still needs to work on his stand up b/c right now his style isnt exactly exciting just a grind you out style and get the W.

I'd love to see fitch welcome shields to the ufc!

Post #5   6/19/10 1:08:05PM   

brutalbones

MMA Regular

brutalbones Avatar

Career:1,681-1,144
Camp: UHF Supplies
Chips:

Posted by RearNakedJoke

I think Fitch would destroy Shields.

p.s. That profile pic is badass.

Post #6   6/19/10 1:35:39PM   

hate4thestate

In Full Mount

hate4thestate Avatar

Career:2,180-1,368
Chips:

Posted by RearNakedJoke

why does everyone act like shields is still fighting at 170? hes been fighting at 185 for awhile now. since at least the lawler fight i believe. unfortunatly jake shields at this moment should be worth quite a bit. the hendo win was huge and that alone should make him worth a good chunk of change.

i highly doubt shields gets dominated in ufc like some suspect. his 3rd fight at 185 he dominated hendo who was ranked 2nd i believe before that fight and on the p4p list. people need to stop whining and give shields the respect he deserves. come on man. shields was a huge underdog and got stomped on in the first round and came back and not only showed his talent but his huge heart. and chin for that matter. give the dude some respect man. ill make an av bet right now for shields first fight in the ufc for whoever it be and ill take shields.

Post #7   6/19/10 1:48:40PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:
Of course he's overvalued himself. Especially to Strikeforce. Shields knows his time is limited if he ever wants to prove himself so he's headed directly for the UFC. Even if Strikeforce would pay him slightly more I firmly believe he would still end up in the UFC just based on the respect factor.

I'm going to keep on saying it until he proves me wrong (which so far he's done a good job at...especially by beating Hendo ) but I just don't think he's going to beat any of the top 5 UFC WW's. I can't see him taking out Fitch, Kos, GSP, or Alves for sure. He's got phenomenal LnP for sure, but his striking skills are soooo far behind the game that it's a wonder he's made the career he has already.

Post #8   6/19/10 1:52:17PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Career:534-389
Chips:

Posted by hate4thestate

Posted by RearNakedJoke

why does everyone act like shields is still fighting at 170? hes been fighting at 185 for awhile now. since at least the lawler fight i believe. unfortunatly jake shields at this moment should be worth quite a bit. the hendo win was huge and that alone should make him worth a good chunk of change.

i highly doubt shields gets dominated in ufc like some suspect. his 3rd fight at 185 he dominated hendo who was ranked 2nd i believe before that fight and on the p4p list. people need to stop whining and give shields the respect he deserves. come on man. shields was a huge underdog and got stomped on in the first round and came back and not only showed his talent but his huge heart. and chin for that matter. give the dude some respect man. ill make an av bet right now for shields first fight in the ufc for whoever it be and ill take shields.

I'm with Jackelope and, depending on his welcoming wagon, I'd be willing to take you up on that bet.

Post #9   6/19/10 2:38:47PM   

brutalbones

MMA Regular

brutalbones Avatar

Career:1,681-1,144
Camp: UHF Supplies
Chips:

Posted by hate4thestate

Posted by RearNakedJoke

i highly doubt shields gets dominated in ufc like some suspect. his 3rd fight at 185 he dominated hendo who was ranked 2nd i believe before that fight and on the p4p list. people need to stop whining and give shields the respect he deserves. come on man.

shields was a huge underdog and got
stomped on in the first round and came back and not only showed his talent but his huge heart. and chin for that matter. give the dude some respect man. ill make an av bet right now for shields first fight in the ufc for whoever it be and ill take shields.

I think most people are just assuming he will drop to WW because he is so small @ that weight. I would hope so anyway, otherwise he is gonna get murdered @ MW. I agree w you that he deserves a little more respect, however, Hendo looked like **** in that fight & Shields didn't do much but LnP for the win. I'll make an avatar bet with you all day as long as his first fight isn't a can.

Post #10   6/19/10 2:44:05PM   

jae_1833

Chin-tastic!

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:4,930-3,258
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
I think you all are wrong concerning how Jake would do against most of the UFC MW Division.....especially the strikers! It's going to take a top man (IMO) to defeat Jake. Those men being Sonnen, Maia, Palhares, Okami.....now I won't pick him to win against Silva, but most likely would against Marquardt. There are so many opponents that would be severely tested by his wrestling alone though.....Cote, Leben, Belcher, Sakara, Dollaway, Simpson, Rivera, Quarry, McFedries, Herman, Reljic, Grove, Riddle, Bisping, Credeur, Drwal, Lawlor, Wandy, and Akiyama! I think if he goes to the UFC and fights at MW he will have himself a damn nice little run....I think he will do just as well at WW. I really have him rated high on the P4P list right now because of this....he will be nearly gauranteed top 10-5 ranked in either division that he fights in. Now if he starts finishing his opponents then I gaurentee that people will be talking about him attempting to hold both belts....those people will be nuthuggers but you know how it goes when someone is doing well....the monkeys start to swing!!

Ad: FanDuel launches Mixup daily fantasy sports for casual fans

Post #11   6/19/10 4:29:30PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Chips:
I will never be a testicle tarzan when it comes to Jake Shields.

Post #12   6/19/10 5:35:16PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,953-1,167
Camp: Canadian Power Team
Chips:
I don't think Shields is a 'grinder' or 'lnp' fighter at all. I see him more as a jiu jitsu guy. He gets takedowns but he's more active on the ground. He passes guard and goes for dominant positions, something most wrestlers/grinders don't tend to do.

His striking isn't great but a guy who can takedown Hendo at will and completely dominate him on the ground probably doesn't have to worry about getting caught in a kickboxing match.

I'm a huge shields fan. I knew he'd beat Hendo.

I for one will tune in whenever he fights and I think he could be a future UFC Champ. I wouldn't pick him against GSP but I'd give him a hell of a lot better chance than I gave Serra or Hardy

PS: Pay the man he deserves it. And he'd def. drop to 170. Only reason he fights at 185 now is because Diaz is fighting at 170.

EDIT: Just remembered little Diaz fights in the UFC at 170 so now I'm not so sure.

Last edited 6/19/10 10:06PM server time by bjj1605

Post #13   6/19/10 10:06:01PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Chips:
I don't see him doing all that well at MW in the UFC if he opts to avoid Lil Diaz.

Ads FanDuel launches Mixup, a fun version of daily fantasy sports for casual fans

Post #14   6/19/10 10:08:41PM   

lohmann

A Black Belt in Jiu-Jitsu

lohmann Avatar

Career:1,804-980
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by hate4thestate

Jake Shields Wants to Fight GSP and Anderson Silva
Jake Shields Would Rather Fight GSP Than Anderson
GSP Wants to Fight Jake Shields

I think signs point to Jake Shields desiring to fight for UFC's 170 pound title first.

Last edited 6/20/10 12:54AM server time by lohmann

Post #15   6/20/10 12:48:43AM