Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Ben Askren is amazing.

Print  
What should he do if he wins the title?
Stay in Bellator and defend 3 18%
Take a crack at Dream 2 12%
Do a little of everything 4 24%
Focus on learning and fight every now and then 2 12%
be funky 6 35%
Posted By Message

seanfu

BANNED

seanfu Avatar

Career:233-122
Chips:
What do you all think of him? 6-0 and that was one of the most dominating displays I've seen in a while. He pulled some **** I've never seen before in America with that super tight bodylock and GSP knees for GnP. He was SO strong, tight, and relentless.

I don't know much about Bellator or the 170 champ but it looks like Askren would be able to put up a decent fight against just about anyone outside of the UFC with only a year or so of training.

Post #1   6/19/10 10:33:21AM   

Chael_Sonnen

Follow.The.Buzzards

Chael_Sonnen Avatar

Career:1,277-785
Chips:

Posted by seanfu

What do you all think of him? 6-0 and that was one of the most dominating displays I've seen in a while. He pulled some **** I've never seen before in America with that super tight bodylock and GSP knees for GnP. He was SO strong, tight, and relentless.

I don't know much about Bellator or the 170 champ but it looks like Askren would be able to put up a decent fight against just about anyone outside of the UFC with only a year or so of training.

Lyman Good will make Askren look ordinary and inexperienced.

Post #2   6/19/10 12:19:39PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Career:534-389
Chips:
We're talking about the same Ben Askren, right? I mean, he's talented for sure, amazing?....I'd be reticent to make that statement.

Post #3   6/19/10 2:28:30PM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,547-1,624
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
No offense but he is fighting the little league guys....I think that he did score a huge win recently when he defeated Hornbuckle, however he proved to me that his wrestling is superior to Hornbuckle's BJJ....which is good for sure but not amazing. My thing is this...all he has proven is that his wrestling can score him takedowns against people whose bread and butter is not wrestling, and that unless your BJJ is truley top notch he will surely grind you out. If he wants to impress me then let me see some destructive GNP, dominant submissions, something else that is exciting. It won't be long before people start talking smack on him being boring...i.e. Shields, Fitch, Okami, etc....he needs to be rounded out is all.

Post #4   6/19/10 3:46:31PM   

Caesarrrr

Standup Guy

Career:77-70
Chips:
Honestly, I'm biased when I say this, as I saw ben wrestle throughout college, and he's kind of a favorite of mine, like Koscheck, but I see Askren as having a bright future.

I also see him being able to beat anyone outside of the UFC at his weight, barring Nick Diaz, and maybe a few others. But his wrestling is pretty amazing, and while everyone talks about how he's only had a year of MMA, you have to consider that he's been wrestling his whole life. If he focuses on Sub D, very few BJJ guys will be able to handle him. In fact, the more I think about it, the more I see Askren becoming Koscheck (fight wise).

i want him in the UFC, tomorrow.

edit: Does anyone know where he trains now? I'd heard it was at ATT, but if i'm not mistaken, Hornbuckle trains there, and they're not partners, so....help?

Last edited 6/19/10 5:00PM server time by Caesarrrr
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #5   6/19/10 4:57:10PM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,547-1,624
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
He trains at Lion's Den of Arizona alongside Edwin Dewees, and Ray Steinbeiss

Post #6   6/19/10 5:06:51PM   

salesjoe

Learning to Sprawl

Career:38-25
Chips:
Your right he is an incredible wrestler but you put him against a john fitch caliber fighter who can counter wrestle and strike he's gonna have problems. He needs to stay with bellator, train stand up fot like a year straight dominate bellator and look towards the ufc.

Post #7   6/20/10 1:20:58PM   

noahgenda

Standup Guy

noahgenda Avatar

Career:315-179
Chips:
he does an excellent job of floating. instead of getting locked in a position and being open for sweeps and subs and whatnot he will let you roll around and just stay on top of you, constantly putting pressure on you until you crack. definitely a promising fighter

Post #8   6/20/10 2:26:48PM