Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Fedor: ‘I’m Not A Fan of the UFC’

Print  
  Page 1 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

TimW001

MMA Sensei

TimW001 Avatar

Career:724-436
Chips:
LINK

Fedor Emelianenko had some strong criticisms for the UFC during a Friday teleconference call touting his June 26 bout against Fabricio Werdum at the HP Pavilion in San Jose, Calif.

The 34-year-old Emelianenko was asked which upcoming heavyweight bout between UFC 116’s Brock Lesnar-Shane Carwin and his own fight against Werdum had more relevance. The stoic fighter predictably gave credence to his own affair. However, Emelianenko dropped an eye-opening remark while doing it.

“I think both fights are very important because you’ve got basically four world-class heavyweights in the top 10 of their sport, but I’m not a UFC fan,” said Emelianenko, who has two fights left with Strikeforce under a co-promotional agreement with M-1 Global. “So, I would invite all the fans to watch our fight that I believe is more important because we’re not in the UFC.”

When asked later why he didn’t approve of the world’s No. 1 promotion, the most sought-after fighter in the sport said it was a combination of how the UFC presented its events and how its fighters carried themselves.

"What I meant to say was I’m not a fan of watching their fights,” said Emelianenko. “Compared to a lot of the commercials and the promotion and anticipation of their fights and compared to a lot of the shows that I’ve seen, there seems to be a negativity involved in a lot of their shows, so I’m just not a fan of watching their programs.

“I think the combination (of presentation and fighter attitude) -- in some ways how the fights are presented and the manner they're presented and also in some ways the actions and behavior of a lot of the fighters from the UFC -- it takes away from the sport."

Ad: FanDuel: Daily Fantasy Football, MLB, NBA, NHL Leagues for cash | FanDuel

Post #1   6/18/10 8:49:01PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Career:534-389
Chips:
I can see the man's point.

Post #2   6/18/10 9:43:47PM   

Chael_Sonnen

Follow.The.Buzzards

Chael_Sonnen Avatar

Career:1,277-785
Chips:

Posted by TimW001

LINK

Fedor Emelianenko had some strong criticisms for the UFC during a Friday teleconference call touting his June 26 bout against Fabricio Werdum at the HP Pavilion in San Jose, Calif.

The 34-year-old Emelianenko was asked which upcoming heavyweight bout between UFC 116’s Brock Lesnar-Shane Carwin and his own fight against Werdum had more relevance. The stoic fighter predictably gave credence to his own affair. However, Emelianenko dropped an eye-opening remark while doing it.

“I think both fights are very important because you’ve got basically four world-class heavyweights in the top 10 of their sport, but I’m not a UFC fan,” said Emelianenko, who has two fights left with Strikeforce under a co-promotional agreement with M-1 Global. “So, I would invite all the fans to watch our fight that I believe is more important because we’re not in the UFC.”

When asked later why he didn’t approve of the world’s No. 1 promotion, the most sought-after fighter in the sport said it was a combination of how the UFC presented its events and how its fighters carried themselves.

"What I meant to say was I’m not a fan of watching their fights,” said Emelianenko. “Compared to a lot of the commercials and the promotion and anticipation of their fights and compared to a lot of the shows that I’ve seen, there seems to be a negativity involved in a lot of their shows, so I’m just not a fan of watching their programs.

“I think the combination (of presentation and fighter attitude) -- in some ways how the fights are presented and the manner they're presented and also in some ways the actions and behavior of a lot of the fighters from the UFC -- it takes away from the sport."

The production value and commentary duo of the UFC is still a 1000% better than that of Strikeforce....say what you want about the UFC, at least they do a good job of marketing and advertising their fights and fighters.

Post #3   6/18/10 10:00:29PM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-506
Chips:
I'm still holding onto a tiny thread of hope that he will sign with the UFC after his current contract is up, but every time there's a new article that hope diminishes more and more. I guess we'll probably never see Fedor fighting any of the top heavyweights in the sport again. Werdum and Overeem, then who?

Post #4   6/18/10 10:02:56PM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:2,047-1,306
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
Wow. This is a very enlightening view of how Fedor percieves the UFC and their practices. Some will call it M1 propaganda for sure,but for now i'll trust in the fact this is Fedors actual opinion of the current state of the UFC's advertising ploys.

I have to be a bit reluctant when Fedor mentions Werdum in the top 10 but on the same token I can't make the claim he's a "wash" opponent either. I believe Carwin and Lesnar's bout is more critical to the state of the HW division,yet find any bout featuring Emelianenko significant in its own right.

Fedor's criticism of the way Zuffa lends the advertisement and perception of the UFC to the public is one i'm not in total disagreement with. It reminds me of an article I once read that had been written by none other than Rickson Gracie. Gracie made the remark the "Art" was now only making up a small portion of Mixed Martial Arts.

It's strange because I find this true and false. I find their to be an interesting dichotomy in how the fighters themselves have evolved past the very one diminsional aspect that occupied the original UFC events,yet the advertisment seems to have jumped three steps back. It's as if they have to dumb down the product,slap a Pepsi sticker on it and then throw it out their to the sheep to gobble up.

Case in point. We constantly here figure heads like Dana White telling us how the UFC is growing and the fighters are world class athletes and that mma is the sport of the future. Yet just look at the opening for Spike tv's "UFC unleashed":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGqKw-lhxUo .

What do you notice? Little to nothing is shown of the ground game. A few strikes and nothing else. The striking aspect of the sport is strongly praised amongst the playing of heavy guitar riffs. Why not show a beatifully executed submission in those opening highlights?

Granted,to be completely fair to Dana and Zuffa I don't know how much say they have in the matter versus how much say Spike TV has. Also as many fans have expressed just through these forums alone,we are sick of the inward,septicly ingrown pain we know as "TUF". How well does it look on the sport when fighters are "spunking" in other athletes food? Perhaps the saddest part of the matter is the realization that the since the sport is past the "**** fighting" aspect former opponents like John McCain labled it with,it can grow without question and not have to worry about staying within the realms of "good" behaviour.

That's right ladies and gentleman,now that the UFC has now become the potential bloated cash cow we all knew it could one day be,gone are the days of stressing how intelligent and how decorated these atheltes truley are. Now we can make them as villianous as we want and it no longer matters because the sport is growing beyond such criticism as it once had.

But,I must shift criticism on to Fedor as well. He mentions how the UFC has a negative connotation to it,yet seems blindsided to the fact that just a month or two ago it was Strikeforce that harbored an in cage riot on live TV. So in that respect I believe that the UFC alone cannot bare the blame. I feel at times the sport all across the world is slowly losing the "art" appeal admist the drunken bloodlust of uneducated fans. But with some of the advertisement being pushed what else can we expect?

Last edited 6/18/10 10:13PM server time by mrsmiley
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #5   6/18/10 10:12:10PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Chips:
That's pretty much where I stand with it, as well. He's absolutely right that the UFC is a marketing machine that sells plenty of fights based off how much two fighters hate each other. I always find it refreshing when you hear the athletes praise each other for how great the other fighter is. I grow tired of the "I'm gonna murder him, break his neck, etc..." that lends itself to the "human **** fighting" perception. We all know that edit jobs can make this stuff out to be worse than it is, but that sort of lends itself to the product Fedor claims the UFC is pushing. Also, I'm not sure Fedor was a huge advocate of the in cage brawl, either.

Post #6   6/18/10 10:20:16PM   

TheGodfather1024

MMA Regular

TheGodfather1024 Avatar

Career:199-119
Chips:
i will always agree with fedor no matter what

Post #7   6/18/10 10:34:23PM   

TimW001

MMA Sensei

TimW001 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by mrsmiley

Wow. This is a very enlightening view of how Fedor percieves the UFC and their practices. Some will call it M1 propaganda for sure,but for now i'll trust in the fact this is Fedors actual opinion of the current state of the UFC's advertising ploys.

I have to be a bit reluctant when Fedor mentions Werdum in the top 10 but on the same token I can't make the claim he's a "wash" opponent either. I believe Carwin and Lesnar's bout is more critical to the state of the HW division,yet find any bout featuring Emelianenko significant in its own right.

Fedor's criticism of the way Zuffa lends the advertisement and perception of the UFC to the public is one i'm not in total disagreement with. It reminds me of an article I once read that had been written by none other than Rickson Gracie. Gracie made the remark the "Art" was now only making up a small portion of Mixed Martial Arts.

It's strange because I find this true and false. I find their to be an interesting dichotomy in how the fighters themselves have evolved past the very one diminsional aspect that occupied the original UFC events,yet the advertisment seems to have jumped three steps back. It's as if they have to dumb down the product,slap a Pepsi sticker on it and then throw it out their to the sheep to gobble up.

Case in point. We constantly here figure heads like Dana White telling us how the UFC is growing and the fighters are world class athletes and that mma is the sport of the future. Yet just look at the opening for Spike tv's "UFC unleashed":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGqKw-lhxUo .

What do you notice? Little to nothing is shown of the ground game. A few strikes and nothing else. The striking aspect of the sport is strongly praised amongst the playing of heavy guitar riffs. Why not show a beatifully executed submission in those opening highlights?

Granted,to be completely fair to Dana and Zuffa I don't know how much say they have in the matter versus how much say Spike TV has. Also as many fans have expressed just through these forums alone,we are sick of the inward,septicly ingrown pain we know as "TUF". How well does it look on the sport when fighters are "spunking" in other athletes food? Perhaps the saddest part of the matter is the realization that the since the sport is past the "**** fighting" aspect former opponents like John McCain labled it with,it can grow without question and not have to worry about staying within the realms of "good" behaviour.

That's right ladies and gentleman,now that the UFC has now become the potential bloated cash cow we all knew it could one day be,gone are the days of stressing how intelligent and how decorated these atheltes truley are. Now we can make them as villianous as we want and it no longer matters because the sport is growing beyond such criticism as it once had.

But,I must shift criticism on to Fedor as well. He mentions how the UFC has a negative connotation to it,yet seems blindsided to the fact that just a month or two ago it was Strikeforce that harbored an in cage riot on live TV. So in that respect I believe that the UFC alone cannot bare the blame. I feel at times the sport all across the world is slowly losing the "art" appeal admist the drunken bloodlust of uneducated fans. But with some of the advertisement being pushed what else can we expect?

I love you.

I'm going to wear my Fedor shirt tomorrow.

Post #8   6/18/10 11:15:47PM   

RearNakedJoke

In Full Mount

RearNakedJoke Avatar

Career:1,226-867
Chips:
lets take a look at how strike force promoted their last 2 cbs shows.

we got Fedor!
&
we got Dan Henderson fighting some guy who holds our belt!

who promotes their events better?

lets see whos fighters present them selves in a better light.

the UFC where guys will hype a fight by trash talking their opponent.

Strikeforce where they beat people up 4 on 1 after the match is over.

Fedor doesnt have any valid points. I dont see how the UFC promotes their events in a negative light. I think he didnt want to talk about the ufc because he is promoting a strikeforce event.

Post #9   6/19/10 12:11:12AM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,953-1,167
Camp: Canadian Power Team
Chips:
The UFC might over hype their fights and use blood and violence to advertise, but thats because they're trying to sell a product. Fedor has a few valid points when it comes to the UFC's marketing, but it's not just the UFC, it's all of MMA that has those problems. To say that the UFC sells fights on blood and hate and pretend the other Orgs. don't is hypocrisy.

The way I look at it we always have had and always will have two kinds of athletes in MMA: fighters and martial artists. For every Brock Lesnar there's a Lyoto Machida. For every Tito Ortiz there's a Randy Couture. For every Paul Daley there's a Georges St. Pierre. We have guys who are unbelievably respectful and humble and we have some arrogant jerks. That's not just the UFC though.

And if the advertising and "I hate him. I'm gonna kill him" grudge match crap will grow the sport, at the end of the day I'm still for it. I know what this sport is about. I know the dedication and respect a lot of these fighters have. Unfortunately I can't fund the sport by myself. All the members of this and every other MMA website can't even fund the sport.

We need the morons in their Tapout shirts that boo every time the fight hits the mat, and if they need blood and hate to be interested it's worth it so the fans like us who truly understand the sport still have something to watch.

Post #10   6/19/10 1:22:48AM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Chips:
Well played, bjj1605. I hate to have to agree with you, but you're right. I wish it wasn't that way but at the end of the day, those are the people that are paying for people with a deeper understanding to have conversations like this on this website.

Ad: FanDuel: Daily Fantasy Football, MLB, NBA, NHL Leagues for cash | FanDuel

Post #11   6/19/10 1:27:38AM   

seanfu

BANNED

seanfu Avatar

Career:233-122
Chips:
Fedor is either scared or unwilling to be tied down or both, my guess is both. He doesn't want a dos santos/ lesnar/ carwin asswhoopin.

His entire legacy to the commoner will be his "undefeated" status. but he is not, regarding arona i would say the record is just fine.

he doesn't want to test himself against the elite. He wants retirement fluff.

Post #12   6/19/10 1:46:14AM   

TimW001

MMA Sensei

TimW001 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by seanfu

Fedor is either scared or unwilling to be tied down or both, my guess is both. He doesn't want a dos santos/ lesnar/ carwin asswhoopin.

Who's Lensar's and Cain's biggest wins? Mir...Nog...

His entire legacy to the commoner will be his "undefeated" status. but he is not, regarding arona i would say the record is just fine.

he doesn't want to test himself against the elite. He wants retirement fluff.

Doesn't want to fight the elite? Tel me where Semmy Schilt and Nog were ranked before 2002. Tell me where Mark Coleman and Kevin Randleman were ranked before 2004. Tell me where Filipovic was ranked anytime before 2007. Tell me where Andrei and Tim were ranked before they fought Fedor. And Brett Rogers is still in the top 10, last year Werdum was in the top 10 and is a BJJ world champ, and Alistair is ranked in top 10 in kickboxing and MMA.

I am so sick of this. What has validated Lesnar/Carwin/Dos Santos/Cain as beign the best in the world? Fedor has been ranked #1 in MMA for 7 years and people write him off because he hasn't beaten Mir or Couture? Because that is exactly why people validate Lesnar as the best.

Post #13   6/19/10 3:21:15AM   

D0wnUnd6e6r

Waka / Jawaka

D0wnUnd6e6r Avatar

Career:2,403-1,394
Chips:

Posted by TheGodfather1024

i will always agree with fedor no matter what

nuthuggery at it's best

Post #14   6/19/10 6:59:25AM   

lohmann

A Black Belt in Jiu-Jitsu

lohmann Avatar

Career:1,804-980
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Fedor has made some interesting points, and because of who he is, it will of course devolve into the same old discussion about how Fedor would fare against four opponents in the UFC that have less combined fights than Fedor himself.

I think it's obvious the UFC, in pushing its product, is more fixated on the potential for violence than the science of the sport. The casual fan is still uneducated in everything about MMA excluding the moments of impact.

Last edited 6/19/10 7:29AM server time by lohmann
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #15   6/19/10 7:28:11AM   

Page 1 of 3     1     2     3