Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Freddie Roach: 'The UFC is just trying to use older boxers to make their sport look better'

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,327-1,229
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Past-his-prime pugilist James Toney will finally get the chance to prove that boxing (with takedown defense) trumps mixed martial arts on any given Saturday when he takes on former light heavyweight and heavyweight champion Randy Couture at UFC 118 in Boston.

Can he do it?

Not according to famed boxing trainer Freddie Roach, who was asked to give his thoughts recently on "Lights Out" coming over to the UFC to fight "The Natural."

Courtesy of East Side Boxing:

"I think it's a bad decision. I don't think it will work. I think the UFC is just trying to say they're better than boxing because if James fought Couture in a boxing match James would absolutely destroy him, but if he fights him in a UFC/MMA style fight James does not have a ground game, once he goes to the ground it's over. It's completely two different sports and they're just trying to use older boxers to make their sport look better."

LINK

Post #1   6/17/10 4:19:40PM   

noahgenda

Standup Guy

noahgenda Avatar

Career:315-179
Chips:
sorry bro. wtf

Post #2   6/17/10 4:26:20PM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Chips:

Posted by noahgenda

sorry bro. wtf

This is a classic case of someone not doing their homework before they speak.

Post #3   6/17/10 4:33:07PM   

GSPCanada

Standup Guy

Career:637-415
Chips:
I don't think roach needs to say this. anyone with an ounce of intelligence towards mma and who knows what dana white is like should know what's going on if and when couture beats toney nobody is going to say mma is superior because we all know what's going on and it shouldn't work. I think its a bad idea by the ufc personally, because toney could still catch couture and that would make mma look really really really bad

Post #4   6/17/10 4:57:42PM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:

Posted by GSPCanada

I don't think roach needs to say this. anyone with an ounce of intelligence towards mma and who knows what dana white is like should know what's going on if and when couture beats toney nobody is going to say mma is superior because we all know what's going on and it shouldn't work. I think its a bad idea by the ufc personally, because toney could still catch couture and that would make mma look really really really bad

Hows it look really bad? Couture is older then Toney has a questionable chin and anyone getting hit on the chin by James with 4 oz gloves on is going to sleep. All it will do is set Toney up a little higher and make his fall that much harder. Think Houston Alexander everyone was crowning him the next big thing sure he got a few nice kos but once in there with a much better MMA fighter he was smashed and then it happened agian and agian. The only way this looks bad is if Couture can't get him to the ground or Toney take Couture down. Or even worse Toney subs Randy then we have a problem.

Post #5   6/17/10 5:28:34PM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Chips:

Posted by postman

Or even worse Toney subs Randy then we have a problem.

If that happens, I'll eat a bowl of my own sh*t and quit watching MMA forever.

Post #6   6/17/10 6:14:50PM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Chips:

Posted by emfleek

Posted by postman

lol I told my buddy that I would sh*t on the floor if Cro Cop subbed Berry after that was his prediction for the fight. Mind you he has no clue who cro cop is, lol I had to give him a when it happened.

Post #7   6/17/10 6:27:19PM   

icantthinkofanything

MMA Sensei

icantthinkofanything Avatar

Career:911-636
Camp: 360 Mafia
Chips:
If thats what the ufc is doing "just trying to make their sport look better" I hope it works. Toney begged for a fight, and he should get one. Any other boxers who are young and dumb can get some too. Boxing is good, but MMA is great. There are soo many ways to win in mma, every fight is diferent and can end quickly. I know the UFC is gonna make a buck on anything. I think this is a good fight for Toney, because if he comes in shape(which may or may not happen) Randys dirty boxing is good for Toney. Anything that doesnt involve the ground will be good for Toney. Randy could use his wall clinch too much and get clipped possibly. My only problem with this fight is that no contract has been signed by Toney yet (i hear) and Toney may not be serious if he doesnt sign, the fight is soon.

Image Attachment(s):

Photo Attachment 1

Post #8   6/17/10 6:42:00PM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Chips:
I think basketball is good Boxing is great and MMA is greater lol

Post #9   6/17/10 6:43:54PM   

whardin19

MMA Sensei

whardin19 Avatar

Career:1,004-606
Camp: B-Robs Terror
Chips:
Yeah, I'm pretty sure Freddie Roach doesn't know what he's talking about. No one is trying to make MMA look better than boxing. **** James Toney practically begged Dana to let him fight. It's not like Dana went out and was looking for a washed up boxer. Roach really needs to stick with what he's good at and that's training boxers. Not commenting on something that he knows nothing about.

As for the comment about Toney submitting Couture. If that happens I will be right there with Emfleek eating my own **** out of a bowl and never watching MMA again!

Post #10   6/17/10 7:12:02PM   

shawneth

MMA Regular

shawneth Avatar

Career:397-201
Chips:

Posted by whardin19

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Freddie Roach doesn't know what he's talking about. No one is trying to make MMA look better than boxing. **** James Toney practically begged Dana to let him fight. It's not like Dana went out and was looking for a washed up boxer. Roach really needs to stick with what he's good at and that's training boxers. Not commenting on something that he knows nothing about.

As for the comment about Toney submitting Couture. If that happens I will be right there with Emfleek eating my own **** out of a bowl and never watching MMA again!

If it happens, i'll mine and some of yours.

Post #11   6/17/10 7:24:35PM   

Gladiator

In Full Mount

Gladiator Avatar

Career:896-523
Chips:
If thats true, i hardly think randy couture is the prime canidate to prove that satement. I love freddie roach, but i gotta disagree here.

Post #12   6/17/10 7:27:27PM   

GSPCanada

Standup Guy

Career:637-415
Chips:
it would look very bad for mma. and like i said I know toney could catch him. definitly. it only takes one and u dont have to be a a pro boxer for that rule to apply. how many rookies has couture fought? anybody else would be on the undercard.
(lesnar being the only exception)

i dont like boxing much but think of the money it makes for them. there's obviously something about it. I like mma better, they are too different sports and to each his own

Post #13   6/17/10 8:26:54PM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,518-886
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:

Roach doesn't know what he's talking about.
It's not like Dana hangs out with guys tailgating in parking lots before payperviews laughing about how boxing is dead......

Then again...................

Post #14   6/17/10 8:29:32PM   

RearNakedJoke

In Full Mount

RearNakedJoke Avatar

Career:1,226-867
Chips:

Posted by emfleek

Posted by postman

i know what result i'll be hoping for!

Post #15   6/17/10 9:35:46PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2