Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Strikeforce boss confirms signings of Sergei Kharitonov and Valentijn Overeem

Print  
Posted By Message

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,296-1,214
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
LOS ANGELES – Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker has confirmed the promotion's acquisition of two former PRIDE heavyweights: Sergei Kharitonov (16-4 MMA, 0-0 SF) and Valentijn Overeem (28-25 MMA, 0-0 SF).

Overeem, 33, is the older brother of current Strikeforce heavyweight champion Alistair Overeem, and Kharitonov is a former sparring partner of top-ranked heavyweight Fedor Emelianenko.

LINK

Post #1   6/17/10 10:25:20AM   

DosBox

MMA Regular

DosBox Avatar

Career:913-534
Chips:
Is this really a good thing?

I like these Strikeforce signings as much as anyone, but Strikeforce have problems with getting any fighter card space.

Lyle Beerbohm took about a year in between Strikeforce fights, and he is one of their best prospects.

Babalu was around 10 months in between fights, Vitor Ribero was signed, and it took him about 1 year before he finally debuted.
Joey Villasenor last fought over 1 year ago, same with Jacare, etc..

And now they appear to be signing quite a few people, Gesias Calvancante (and for whatever reason strikeforce signed him for a 1 year 4 fight deal, as if hed even get 2 fights in), Sergei, Valentijn, etc..

I know people like the signings, but if they wont be getting fights.. it shouldnt matter.

They have trouble giving their talented fighters fights, and they recently started signing more fighters... what should that tell you?

I dont know to what extent their contract is, but im sure some have non-exclusive contracts, but even then non-exclusive contracts dont necessarily mean that, it is still somewhat restrictive.

I dont know, thats just how I feel about the situation.

Post #2   6/17/10 11:18:19AM   

tepid55

MMA Sensei

tepid55 Avatar

Career:2,894-1,593
Camp: Pride FC Forever
Chips:
I think Kharitonov will crush Alistair Overeem when they fight.

Post #3   6/17/10 1:23:22PM   

noahgenda

Standup Guy

noahgenda Avatar

Career:315-179
Chips:

Posted by DosBox

I like these Strikeforce signings as much as anyone, but Strikeforce have problems with getting any fighter card space.

Lyle Beerbohm took about a year in between Strikeforce fights, and he is one of their best prospects.

Babalu was around 10 months in between fights, Vitor Ribero was signed, and it took him about 1 year before he finally debuted.

And now they appear to be signing quite a few people, Gesias Calvancante (and for whatever reason strikeforce signed him for a 1 year 4 fight deal, as if hed even get 2 fights in), Sergei, Valentijn, etc..

I know people like the signings, but if they wont be getting fights.. it shouldnt matter.

They have trouble giving their talented fighters fights, and they recently started signing more fighters... what should that tell you?

I dont know to what extent their contract is, but im sure some have non-exclusive contracts, but even then non-exclusive contracts dont necessarily mean that, it is still somewhat restrictive.

you have to sign more people if youre going to have more fights. theyre trying to fix the problem

Post #4   6/17/10 1:44:43PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,436-1,301
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Good pick ups but they need to focus on light heavyweights

Post #5   6/17/10 3:40:43PM   

seanfu

BANNED

seanfu Avatar

Career:233-122
Chips:

Posted by noahgenda

Posted by DosBox

you have to sign more people if youre going to have more fights. theyre trying to fix the problem

He just said it was a card space issue. Explain how more fighters equal more cardspace.....

Post #6   6/17/10 4:54:34PM   

lohmann

A Black Belt in Jiu-Jitsu

lohmann Avatar

Career:1,633-892
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by tepid55

I think Kharitonov will crush Alistair Overeem when they fight.

I would take this as an av bet, but I don't think Sergei gets far enough in the SF ranks to fight Overeem again.

Post #7   6/17/10 5:57:17PM   

BustedKnuckle

MMA Sensei

BustedKnuckle Avatar

Career:659-381
Chips:
I like these signings for sure. Actually would like to see them fight each other!

Post #8   6/17/10 7:00:16PM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Career:444-230
Chips:
Hopefully Kharitonov will get back to his old self, if not he'll get his eyes pumped shut.

Post #9   6/17/10 7:18:52PM   

theruler_

MMA Regular

theruler_ Avatar

Career:47-28
Chips:
kharitonov is a good buy. not really sure of the value in getting valentijn at this point.

Post #10   6/17/10 7:22:03PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Career:534-389
Chips:
It looks like SF is going the way of EliteXC....they should really develop what they have before signing more people.

Post #11   6/17/10 8:17:38PM