Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Robbie Lawler "Should Have Done More" Against Renato Sobral In LA

Print  
Posted By Message

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:
So says Lawler in comments at last night's Strikeforce Los Angeles post-fight presser. "I wasn’t hurt, I just wanted to make him think I was. It was a ploy, a decoy, for him to fight me so I could knock him out. I’m disappointed with the result, but I have no complaints. The two takedowns in the first round may have been the difference. I know that I could have done much more. I should have done more."

Article

Post #1   6/17/10 9:26:53AM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
I said give lawler a razzie for that acting job.

Dissapointed in robbie's performance, he didnt seem like he wanted it more.

Post #2   6/17/10 11:25:35AM   

hate4thestate

In Full Mount

hate4thestate Avatar

Career:1,523-942
Camp: FLBTV All-Stars
Chips:
i think lawler gassed early. maybe from those body kicks. idk lawler didnt seem his normal self. that welt he had might have had something to do with it.

Post #3   6/17/10 11:26:41AM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:
To me that's kind of always the way Lawler fights. I could be wrong, but if I'm not mistaken I believe he's scored most of his huge KO's on guys coming in on him. Not the other way around.

Even against Shields I remember thinking he should be more aggressive. He almost had Shields finished but couldn't quite get it done. I understand not wanting to overcommit and get taken down, but he's got those heavy hands and he needs to find a better way to put them to use IMO. There were a couple huge shots he landed on Babalu (Great chin, btw) but Robbie never really seemed to pursue with the aggressiveness necessary to take him out 100%.

Either way it's not like a loss to Babalu was a terrible, awful thing. I said going into this fight that I didn't think Babalu would be totally fish out of water on the feet with Lawler. Lawler's got good boxing but people often forget that Babalu has some good Muay Thai, too. Just cuz he got worked by Mousasi I think a lot of people underestimated it going into this fight.

Last edited 6/17/10 1:02PM server time by Jackelope
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #4   6/17/10 1:01:52PM   

noahgenda

Standup Guy

noahgenda Avatar

Career:315-179
Chips:
i know a lot of people when they think bablu they think of chuck liddell crushing his face in, also

Post #5   6/17/10 1:47:45PM   

seanfu

BANNED

seanfu Avatar

Career:233-122
Chips:

Posted by Jackelope

To me that's kind of always the way Lawler fights. I could be wrong, but if I'm not mistaken I believe he's scored most of his huge KO's on guys coming in on him. Not the other way around.

Even against Shields I remember thinking he should be more aggressive. He almost had Shields finished but couldn't quite get it done. I understand not wanting to overcommit and get taken down, but he's got those heavy hands and he needs to find a better way to put them to use IMO. There were a couple huge shots he landed on Babalu (Great chin, btw) but Robbie never really seemed to pursue with the aggressiveness necessary to take him out 100%.

Either way it's not like a loss to Babalu was a terrible, awful thing. I said going into this fight that I didn't think Babalu would be totally fish out of water on the feet with Lawler. Lawler's got good boxing but people often forget that Babalu has some good Muay Thai, too. Just cuz he got worked by Mousasi I think a lot of people underestimated it going into this fight.

Stylistically Babalu should not have been able to win any facet of the fight except maybe the clinch. Standing Lawler's jab should have won and the td defense of Lawler has been really good except against shields maybe. At least that's what I remember. I am surprised.

Post #6   6/17/10 2:40:25PM   

slapshot

In Full Mount

slapshot Avatar

Career:514-322
Camp: Ultimate Fighter Top Team
Chips:
I agree Robbie should have been able to win but did you see the bruise right under his armpit, wont be surprised if he had a fracture and busted up ribs will sap the life out of anyone lol.

Post #7   6/17/10 2:54:06PM   

icantthinkofanything

MMA Sensei

icantthinkofanything Avatar

Career:911-636
Camp: 360 Mafia
Chips:
I think Robbie was playing games to act tired, but he did look tired and looked like his legs were hurt and straight as heck, like he had no knees and could only limp with a swagger imo.
I wish Robbie ko'd bobby. but you cant wait until the end of rd 3 imo, its better to not put all you bets on a haymaker punch in the 3rd round.

Post #8   6/17/10 3:28:06PM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:
I was suprised Sobral didn't catch Robbie in a choke. cause for how good Robbie is at getting back up when he is taken down he really sticks his neck out in the process often. It happened at least 2 tomes last night but for what ever reason he missed his chances.

Post #9   6/17/10 4:02:49PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:

Posted by seanfu

Stylistically Babalu should not have been able to win any facet of the fight except maybe the clinch. Standing Lawler's jab should have won and the td defense of Lawler has been really good except against shields maybe. At least that's what I remember. I am surprised.

I'm not sure how you can make the "on paper" argument after the fight considering what did happen in the fight. Noahgenda is right- people also think of the time when Chuck crushed Babalu's face in.

Fact is Babalu has been in this game quite a long time. He's stood with much better guys than Lawler. Not saying he's stood and won, but he's definitely not a fish out of water and has plenty of experience striking. If Lawler's boxing was as great as some people think it is he'd more than likely still be in the UFC.

Also I'd like to add that stylistically Babalu most definitely had the advantage on the ground. So the whole "should not have been able to win any facet of the fight" argument doesn't work there, either. Like I said- arguing "what should be" makes no sense after we've seen what "is".

Last edited 6/18/10 2:33AM server time by Jackelope
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #10   6/18/10 2:32:29AM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,923-1,070
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by seanfu

Posted by Jackelope

Babalu has always had better takedowns than shields has, not to mention another 15 pounds of weight naturally.
In my opinion, Lawler has never had a good skillset to fight someone like babalu. Lawler can stop a good wrestler's takedown, but good grapplers have always been able to finish him.

Post #11   6/18/10 3:22:11AM