Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Liddell's Trainer "Heartbroken", No Longer Wants To See Iceman Fight

Print  
Posted By Message

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:
John Hackleman -- the long-time trainer and friend of former light heavyweight champion Chuck Liddell -- concedes that it's finally time for his UFC Hall of Fame fighter to hang up the gloves. Liddell, 40, suffered his fifth loss in six fights, getting knocked out cold courtesy of Rich Franklin at UFC 115 last weekend. It was the fourth time in those five losses that he ended up on his back, staring at the lights and wondering what the hell went wrong. Hackleman suggests that the "warrior" nature of Liddell is likely to blame -- no matter how much game planning, conditioning or drilling he did prior to the fight, he quickly resorted to his aggressive (and careless) self after just a few minutes of action. "Iceman" has yet to make an official announcement on his retirement; however, with Hackleman, as well as UFC President Dana White (again) telling him the party's over, he may listen this time around.

Article

Post #1   6/17/10 6:30:16AM   

tallica62

MMA Sensei

tallica62 Avatar

Career:1,991-1,229
Camp: Playground Bullies
Chips:
I think he should retire too...but I honestly, I think he should do 1 last fight vs Tito...retires no matter what happens... hes got nothing to lose..at this point hes goin out on a KO and 1-6 record....if he loses to tito it wont blemish him, but if he wins he can atleast go out feeling good

Post #2   6/17/10 8:55:41AM   

BigIP

Standup Guy

BigIP Avatar

Career:43-35
Chips:

Posted by tallica62

I think he should retire too...but I honestly, I think he should do 1 last fight vs Tito...retires no matter what happens... hes got nothing to lose..at this point hes goin out on a KO and 1-6 record....if he loses to tito it wont blemish him, but if he wins he can atleast go out feeling good

I don't think he should risk a lost to Tito. It would be devastating due to his dislike of Ortiz. I believe getting KO'd is like getting concussions in football the more you get the easier it is to get more. Chuck should just retire, relax and have a good time. We don't want another Ali issue 10 years down the road...

Post #3   6/17/10 9:26:27AM   

isk

In Full Mount

isk Avatar

Career:-
Chips:
Even with Chuck's suspect chin I figure he'd run over Tito. It's never been a good matchup for Ortiz, and I haven't heard anything that convinces me of a big change in Tito's game. Chuck by relentless onslaught in R1.

That said, it kind of feels like a consolation prize for the special kid in the class. Chuck went out in a war, and that's how I think he should retire. No shame in it, and there's plenty of valid and dignified opportunities with the UFC outside of the cage.

Post #4   6/17/10 10:02:29AM   

seanfu

BANNED

seanfu Avatar

Career:233-122
Chips:
Yeah, I think he should get the free knockout vs tito for everyones laughter,

Post #5   6/17/10 11:20:06AM   

hate4thestate

In Full Mount

hate4thestate Avatar

Career:1,355-861
Camp: FLBTV All-Stars
Chips:
i think he should just retire. actually he should be dropped by the ufc for losing so many. thats what dana should do. he shouldnt have been fighting franklin to begin with imo and i was right about that it seems.

Post #6   6/17/10 11:32:12AM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Career:534-389
Chips:
Anyone else would have been dropped from the organization. I believe that this fight for Jardine is his farewell as well. He's lost 4 of his last 5 and 5 of his last 7. A loss to Hammil and he's done.

Post #7   6/17/10 8:11:11PM