Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Canada & Middle East "Neck And Neck" For First International TUF

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:
The first international season of "The Ultimate Fighter" competition-reality series will either be based in Canada or the Middle East, according to Dana White. White said the promotion and its broadcast partner Spike TV are laying groundwork to film separate seasons in both countries. However, he is unsure which will go first. "They're neck and neck," White recently said. The UFC boss said in May that a potential Canadian version of the show would be targeted for 2011. This past weekend, he hinted at a February 2011 start date for an international season.

Article

Post #1   6/16/10 8:21:08AM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,284-1,206
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
It boils down to one thing...

Canada's talent vs. Middle East talent

Advantage = Canada

Post #2   6/16/10 9:17:41AM   

Caesarrrr

Standup Guy

Career:77-70
Chips:
Actually, I think it boils down to where they'll make the most money, and that's why it's neck and neck. Sure, Dana want's his own feeder systems, but if he can just make more money off of one, why not? If the fighters are sub par, take the money and sign someone else after they lose a few times.

Post #3   6/16/10 11:04:34AM   

FlashyG

Heavyweight Champ

FlashyG Avatar

Career:2,220-1,250
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
With his quest to get sanctioning in Ontario, I'd be very suprised if it isn't filmed in Canada.

There were rumours a few weeks ago locally that Zuffa was looking at Real Estate in the Greater Toronto Area. At the time the big Toronto announcement was planned, and many around here speculated that it would be a Canadian TUF season. It turned out to be the Tom Wright hiring but maybe the rumours were correct after all.

Post #4   6/16/10 11:14:35AM   

Focker101

MMA Regular

Focker101 Avatar

Career:1,394-777
Chips:

Posted by FlashyG

With his quest to get sanctioning in Ontario, I'd be very suprised if it isn't filmed in Canada.

There were rumours a few weeks ago locally that Zuffa was looking at Real Estate in the Greater Toronto Area. At the time the big Toronto announcement was planned, and many around here speculated that it would be a Canadian TUF season. It turned out to be the Tom Wright hiring but maybe the rumours were correct after all.

MAN I hope your right
I would love to see some events in Toronto
and I would love to see a amateur org in Ontario as well

Post #5   6/16/10 1:59:24PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Career:534-389
Chips:
Dana has also been working with the UAE so it's not just Canada. I have to agree with Caesarrrr it's going to be about the money and the Middle East clearly has more of that.

Post #6   6/16/10 2:39:36PM   

jay98107

MMA Sensei

jay98107 Avatar

Career:2,796-1,566
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:

Posted by emfleek

Advantage = Canada

I dont know if it only boils down to that one thing, seeing as how FLASH entertainment or whatever it's called now owns 10 % of the UFC, and they're based out of the Middle East.

Post #7   6/16/10 2:42:10PM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Chips:

Posted by jay98107

Posted by emfleek

Advantage = Canada

I dont know if it only boils down to that one thing, seeing as how FLASH entertainment or whatever it's called now owns 10 % of the UFC, and they're based out of the Middle East.

If there were plans to host more than one UFC show per year in the Middle East, I'd say they'd definitely get TUF first.

However, when it comes to branching out, my own personal opinion is that you should start closer to home and expand from there...especially when there is a better crop of talent to choose from. Unless I'm overlooking or forgetting something, there's a HUUUUUUUUGE talent gap between that of fighters from Canada and those from the Middle East. Start in Canada and give the Middle East more time to develop top tier guys. That's how I see it, anyways.

Then again...I don't run a successful company so I may be 100% wrong. We'll see.

Post #8   6/16/10 2:46:32PM   

noahgenda

Standup Guy

noahgenda Avatar

Career:315-179
Chips:
i dont think canada's talent v arab talent has anything to do with it at all. what makes you think all the fighters will be from the host nation? it would certainly not be in the middle east if that was true, nobody watching in america would understand what the dudes were saying

Post #9   6/16/10 2:49:27PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Chips:
Actually, you're right Fleek. I was primarily thinking about this from a TUF aspect when I said Middle East. From a fiduciary standpoint Canada makes the most sense because you can promote, promote, promote up there. You're not going to be able to travel to the Middle East but MAYBE a once or twice a year. (more than likely once) Canada, however, can host several shows in a year, especially if you get Toronto sanctioned.

Post #10   6/16/10 2:50:50PM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Chips:
I just read an article on BloodyElbow about this.

LINK

Posted by noahgenda

i dont think canada's talent v arab talent has anything to do with it at all. what makes you think all the fighters will be from the host nation? it would certainly not be in the middle east if that was true, nobody watching in america would understand what the dudes were saying

Taken from the article above.

In his recent speech at the UFC Fan Expo, Lorenzo Fertitta suggested that international seasons of TUF would be filmed for the local market only. This would allow the shows to focus their efforts on creating television that is suited for each individual country. White's recent remarks make mention of SPIKE TV filming these international seasons for American television. Will Americans, in the midst of two wars in the region, really support three months of television with Arabs as the lead characters, as both heroes and villians? If so, it will be an unprecedented leap. I expect plenty of living rooms to break out into shouts of "USA, USA, USA" only to have televisions click off en masse when no tattooed and foul mouthed hero emerges to set things right. In short, a Middle Eastern TUF, on American TV, could be nothing short of a disaster.

A Middle Eastern TUF will fail on American television – not even for patriotic reasons. Fans won’t want to watch a show that’s almost completely subtitled. Do they only use fighters that speak English? It just won’t work.

Post #11   6/16/10 3:03:43PM   

noahgenda

Standup Guy

noahgenda Avatar

Chips:
if they are making the international seasons exclusively for local markets there is absolutely no reason to do it in canada. their market isnt different enough from ours to justify it

they could just film a regular season somewhere in canada and have a bunch of canadians on the cast if they wanted to get canada more excited about the show

Last edited 6/16/10 3:31PM server time by noahgenda
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #12   6/16/10 3:30:25PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Chips:
I would say Brazil but as Jae_1833 pointed out on another thread, it's just too dangerous.

Post #13   6/16/10 3:32:42PM   

noahgenda

Standup Guy

noahgenda Avatar

Chips:
good point, brazil would probably be the best place to do it as far as having an existing fight culture and expanding your market share go. one in asia maybe would be good too. korea v japan or something

Last edited 6/16/10 3:35PM server time by noahgenda
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #14   6/16/10 3:35:26PM   

BigIP

Standup Guy

BigIP Avatar

Career:43-35
Chips:
The proximity of the Middle East to Europe would allow many European fighters to appear on TUF thus enhancing the talent pool. Also, I believe in Duba/Abu Dhabi English is the second language so that shouldn't be a barrier as well.

Post #15   6/16/10 4:46:57PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2