Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Canadian Authorities Questioned CroCop About War Crimes

Print  
  Page 1 of 6     1     2     3     4   >>
Posted By Message

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,668-1,480
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Mirko ‘CroCop’ Filipovic has revealed how Canadian immigration officials subjected him to intensive questioning during his first two days in the country. They wanted to know if he was involved in any war crimes during his military service when the former Yugoslavia descended into civil war in the mid-1990s.

Filipovic was with a Croatian unit from 1993-4 and Canadian officials were interested to see if he could give them any information about certain military figures of interest to the international community for war crimes and human rights violations...

Full Story

Post #1   6/15/10 12:48:05AM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:
Wow.

Just... wow. I'm really surprised at this. Lots of questions. Don't know enough to take an official stance, I guess. Just very surprised.

Post #2   6/15/10 12:55:49AM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Career:534-389
Chips:
That's, uhhh, stretching for sure. That was like 16 years ago. Wouldn't that have been about a bitch if they had arrested or detained him for information and he hadn't been able to fight.

Post #3   6/15/10 2:31:29AM   

bosanceros

MMA Regular

bosanceros Avatar

Career:588-301
Chips:
16 years is still pretty fresh buddy...u have no idea wat happened there

Post #4   6/15/10 2:52:57AM   

chokehead

Learning to Sprawl

chokehead Avatar

Career:130-89
Camp: Penny-Arcade
Chips:
UFC apparently saw this ahead of time, and sent over representatives along with a very good lawyer.

Post #5   6/15/10 2:55:38AM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Career:534-389
Chips:

Posted by bosanceros

I also didn't say that I did. But I do know this, if Cro Cop had been a persons of interest for war crimes extradition laws wouldn't have really mattered anyone could have gotten ahold of him at any time, he wasn't exactly a private figure. It seems odd to ask Cro Cop for Croatian intelligence 16 years after the fact. Especially when he was FOR SURE going to lawyered up.

Post #6   6/15/10 3:30:12AM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Posted by bosanceros

I also didn't say that I did. But I do know this, if Cro Cop had been a persons of interest for war crimes extradition laws wouldn't have really mattered anyone could have gotten ahold of him at any time, he wasn't exactly a private figure. It seems odd to ask Cro Cop for Croatian intelligence 16 years after the fact. Especially when he was FOR SURE going to lawyered up.

Yeah not many violators of civil rights go on to be huge international public figures. Kind of a bad Idea. As previously stated I have no idea what went on there either. That being said can't you wait till after the fight to question the man? I guess they just had the olympics so the economic boost of the UFC isn't as important to Vancouver as it would be to other citys.

Last edited 6/15/10 7:29AM server time by postman
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #7   6/15/10 7:28:42AM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,245-1,185
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

For 20 years I lived this life and now I have no motivation for the fight, no mental strength for all the spartan training. I am no longer so hungry for victory. I will not stop training, but if I am asleep I’ll stay in bed and practice an hour later.

UFC 115 fight vs Barry was favorite fight of his career, along with winning the Pride Grand Prix Finals. But most of the training proved to me that I am now too old for this.

I don’t know about a new contract with the UFC. I believe that I gave this game a lot, I fought with the greatest fighters.

--

Had to spend several hours each day in the immigrations office, and they took away his passport - and didn't return it untill he was about to leave Canada. Although they weren't pleased with his answers, they let him sleep over at the hotel. Croatian embassy, and some top lawyers were employed to help him solve the situation.

The main reason for this is his involment in the war against Serbia. They questioned him if he hurt any civilians, did he obey the laws of warfare and so on and so on.

The part that was most disturbing was when they gave him a list of names of Croatian guys to tip them off, which he refused and said that hes willing to go back to Croatia and won't accept being forced to say such things if they dont stop asking.

--

I saw Pat in hospital, his arm and leg are broken. I asked him why he didn't finished me when i fall, he said he saw i wasn't hurt

There is a lot of options, with Dana White i will stay in friendly and business relationship, we're gonna talk when i get some rest, i'm sure they want to see me again but...

LINK (text in Croatian)

Post #8   6/15/10 8:36:04AM   

FlashyG

MMA Sensei

FlashyG Avatar

Career:2,156-1,214
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
At this point i've lost count, whose retired more times Favre or CroCop?

Post #9   6/15/10 9:20:08AM   

BigIP

Standup Guy

BigIP Avatar

Career:43-35
Chips:
I could understand if CroCop were Serbian them questioning him but the Croatians and Bosnians both suffered war crime from the Serbs during that time period.

Post #10   6/15/10 9:44:16AM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,476-1,422
Chips:
im shocked that canada would be the counrty to do this, because they seem to be pretty normal in most cases, but this is asinine. i might have a little more insight to this than most on here i guess as i have relatives over there, except that im also much more biased about what happened. my guess is that there is a person of serbian descent that works in whatever office held him up, and im not kidding at all. theres no other logical explanation. BTW i have friends in serbia, and when they come to the states they always stay here at my house a few days, so im not some serb hater. its been a long time since all that happened and most of us prefer to let sleeping dogs lie.

Post #11   6/15/10 9:55:56AM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Chips:

Posted by BigIP

I could understand if CroCop were Serbian them questioning him but the Croatians and Bosnians both suffered war crime from the Serbs during that time period.

there are plenty of stories of it happening both ways, it was war, those things do happen.

Post #12   6/15/10 9:57:19AM   

BigIP

Standup Guy

BigIP Avatar

Career:43-35
Chips:
Not in this case. In fact the USA along with NATO bombed Serbia to end the war. The president of Serbia Slobodan Miloševic was charged with War Crimes against humanity.

Post #13   6/15/10 10:13:40AM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Chips:

Posted by BigIP

Not in this case. In fact the USA along with NATO bombed Serbia to end the war. The president of Serbia Slobodan Miloševic was charged with War Crimes against humanity.

dude, im croatian, many of my family members live there, thanks for the lesson but you obviously dont know any more than what you saw on your local news. just stop now while youre ahead.

Post #14   6/15/10 10:18:41AM   

McBee

In Full Mount

McBee Avatar

Career:815-456
Chips:

Posted by cowcatcher

Posted by BigIP

there are plenty of stories of it happening both ways, it was war, those things do happen.

More Progressive BS there is already war crimes tribunals and all of that at the UN but if CC comes in to our city we can do the RIGHT thing and expose him, these are the same people that call asking for id at traffic stops in AZ is racist and suspecting Muslims for terrorism is racial profiling, so I guess it is only warranted when it does not do anything useful and is against people playing sports that is not soccer

Post #15   6/15/10 10:19:47AM   

Page 1 of 6     1     2     3     4   >>