Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Dana White stands by "pay for rankings" claim, says UFC is the NFL of MMA

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

sclasclemski

Belt Contender

sclasclemski Avatar

Career:425-289
Camp: THE 486
Chips:
No stranger to a little controversy, UFC president Dana White recently made waves by suggesting in a May interview with ESPN's Bill Simmons that many mixed-martial-arts rankings lists were influenced through financial contributions.

This past weekend, in a one-on-one interview with MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com), White confirmed that he still believes rival promotions are improperly influencing the media's opinion.

"Let me tell you what; I've been in this business for a long time," White said. "Nobody, and I mean [expletive] nobody, knows more about this business than I do.

"Everything that's happened throughout the years, all the [expletive] that I've gone through, my biggest beef with a lot of these MMA websites is that these guys are for-profit websites. They're not [expletive] news sites. They're for-profit websites."

Link

I've been on this for awhile...I don't think they are 100% there yet but I think by the time Strikeforce finally collapses or at least loses its network deal then that will pretty much seal the deal.

Last edited 6/14/10 9:10PM server time by sclasclemski
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #1   6/14/10 9:09:25PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Career:534-389
Chips:
Well, if you're not going to give them the title of NFL then they are certainly the BCS. They pretty much decide everything that's going to happen, tell you who the number 1 fighter is, make the promotional deals with other companies (Tostito's Fiesta Bowl:Harley Davidson The Only Motorcycle Worthy of Being in the Octagon), they occasionally give you the match-ups you want to see between powerhouses, and they definitely get more viewers than their counterparts (Division II Playoffs:Strikforce)

Post #2   6/14/10 9:20:17PM   

sclasclemski

Belt Contender

sclasclemski Avatar

Chips:
thats a pretty decent comparison...though I think once Fedor retires and Overeem and Rogers join the UFC then that pretty much consolidates the HW division...Mousasi and King MO for the LHW...A few more necessary needed for MW on down but you get the idea...its not far off before there isn't an argument about where ALL the best fighters are.

Post #3   6/14/10 9:28:10PM   

zxandu

MMA Regular

zxandu Avatar

Career:258-224
Camp: East Coast Pitbulls
Chips:

Posted by sclasclemski

thats a pretty decent comparison...though I think once Fedor retires and Overeem and Rogers join the UFC then that pretty much consolidates the HW division...Mousasi and King MO for the LHW...A few more necessary needed for MW on down but you get the idea...its not far off before there isn't an argument about where ALL the best fighters are.

That would be awesome to hear, but I wish that more fighters were represented by actual agents, not "advisers." The same guy who represents Machida also reps Silva, not cool. These guys all work with their own camps and sh*t.

What if Fedor were represented by Scott Boras or Drew Rosenhaus, these guys could gain more exposure thus being able to command more leverage over the fight leagues. These fighters need to start looking into agents whom have more endorsement connections more business savvy.

Just ask BlueSkies on his opinion about Fedor's "business manager."

Post #4   6/14/10 9:36:20PM   

sclasclemski

Belt Contender

sclasclemski Avatar

Chips:
Well Fedor is a an entity unto himself...I love watching him fight...but seriously if he doesn't fight Overeem soon then I couldn't care less what he does anymore...but I agree that fight camps are a little too tight...I am certainly getting tired of seeing Ed Soares all the time...

Post #5   6/14/10 9:40:41PM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:
I think this is just Dana being a promoter and trying to attack the legitimacy of his competition, I don't think anyone is really paying to have rankings fixed on some MMA sites. Generally speaking, the rankings are pretty consistent across the board, unless the same people are bribing like every website out there I doubt there's much credence to this claim.

Post #6   6/14/10 11:12:46PM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,763-1,756
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Rankings are extremely opinionated and always will be.....who cares what a web site says if you are a president of a company as rich and powerful as the UFC. They are definately the NFL of MMA due to the talent, number of shows, PPV buys, gate attendance, fighter payouts, quantity and quality of fighters, and the fact that there are still a mass majority of "fans" who still refer to it as "ultimate fighting" or "UFC" and not MMA. Most fight "fans" I meet are completely ignorant of Dream and Strikeforce really.

Post #7   6/14/10 11:39:23PM   

Chael_Sonnen

Follow.The.Buzzards

Chael_Sonnen Avatar

Career:1,277-785
Chips:
Such a potty mouth on Dana

Post #8   6/14/10 11:41:57PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Career:534-389
Chips:
Right now the UFC isn't even the NHL of things. They have a long way to go before they can call themselves the NFL of MMA. Before Dana starts comparing himself to a nationally recognized product that more people watch than any other sport, he should realize that the UFC still has a long way to go before he can mention his product in the same breath as the NFL. I say this more by the way the organization is ran than whether or not it's top competition. Even using the football comparison the NFL is the only product that has seen national tv in recent memory. CFL and Arena Bowl get NO airplay. Strikeforce and EliteXC have. They've managed to get on network TV, while Dana has not.

My BCS comparison works better. They don't give a **** what anyone thinks they will do what they want. They will crown whomever they decide like crowning (by letting them fight/play). They make hundreds of millions of dollars and share peanuts of that with the athletes responsible for generating their revenue. They have an effective monopoly by virtue of being the most powerful entity with all the right players. They have no desire to make the BIG necessary changes to ensure more stability within the system and fairness for those involved. And, lastly, they will both gladly tell you that nobodies opinion but theirs matters. If that's not the BCS/UFC in a nutshell I don't know what is.

Post #9   6/15/10 12:02:42AM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,763-1,756
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
They definately can't compare to the NFL but they most certainly are the biggest org in MMA.

Post #10   6/15/10 12:24:29AM   

lohmann

A Black Belt in Jiu-Jitsu

lohmann Avatar

Career:1,700-926
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

White's biggest gripe, of course, comes with media members who believe Russian heavyweight Fedor Emelianenko should be considered the world's top pound-for-pound fighter.

"[Strikeforce has] sold 4,000 tickets to the (June 26) Fedor fight," White said. "That fight is in a couple of weeks. Nobody gives a [expletive], and nobody is going to give a [expletive] about Fedor until he gets in here and fights the best fighters in the world. And believe me when I tell you I tried to make it happen. You don't even know the crazy [expletive] places that I've flown and the [expletive] that I've done to try and get this fight done. It got to the point where it became an obsession. I wasn't sleeping.

"Guys who deserve to be called the best pound-for-pound fighters in the world are the guys who are fighting the best in the world three times a year," White said. "So when you talk about the rankings and all this [expletive], you're going to put Strikeforce in the same [expletive] sentence as the UFC? We're global. We're all over the world. These guys can't sell tickets in their own hometown. They're dying. They just had a heavyweight championship fight with a guy who got knocked the [expletive] out in his previous fight. You know what I'm saying? It's insane.

A lot of MMA media doesn't even rank Fedor #1 P4P anymore (although he's a consensus top three).

Dana White's just trying to discredit Fedor once again, but he's going to need to convince more than just the media that Fedor isn't the world's best heavyweight and a top P4P fighter. He's going to have convince a lot of hardcore mixed martial arts fans, and those are the fans that tend to know Dana White isn't the absolute truth on the subject of MMA.

Brock Lesnar has fought less than Fedor has in the last two years, and the HW division is not nearly as owned by the UFC as the LHW and WW divisions are.

Post #11   6/15/10 1:25:16AM   

sbulldavid

Heavyweight Champ

sbulldavid Avatar

Career:1,509-889
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
This subject is lame, does anybody really care, rankings don't even involve title shots or superfights half the time, so it's not a big deal. How long was Cro Cop the number 4 heavyweight in the world before he got exposed, it's just a matter of opinion, most people had Shogun at about number 8 when he got his shot.

Post #12   6/15/10 1:25:39AM   

theruler_

MMA Regular

theruler_ Avatar

Career:47-28
Chips:
you know what to do dana - bite the bullet and create your own official ufc rankings!
of course that won't happen because it gives the fighters too much power. i actually like dana but this is a waste of time and not particularly relevant to anything.

Post #13   6/15/10 2:23:33AM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,550-909
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
Dana comes across as a moron on this particular subject.
He expects us to believe other orgs pay to have their fighters placed in rankings and for us to totally not even think that perhaps the so called "NFL of MMA" would do the same since the majority of top 10 fighters are from his promotion?
I would understand his point if most ranked fighters across the board in each division fought outside of the UFC but that's not the case.
Further more,other promotions seem to be more open ended about letting fighters jump ships and fight in other places. To me it would make more since if the fighters themselves paid for a rank posistion as opposed to the promotion doing it. With that type of thinking it would be more viable for the UFC to pay for rankings since their fighters are locked into contract.

Post #14   6/15/10 6:59:36AM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:
If you hit this link it will take you to MMA Junkie Radio and they had Dann Stupp on, he talks about this subject its pretty intresting. I don't remember when it was in the show but it was pretty good. Its from the June 9th episode. Junkie Radio

Post #15   6/15/10 7:37:52AM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2